Maine, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ruffner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS -- WRJR401
I’m heading out to my daughter’s graduation and I’ll be driving out, just me and Luke. Departure likely the 14th. I’ll be taking my time on the way out and am thinking of roughly going West till I hit the Rockies. (Stoping outside Chicago for a night to see my brother.) Maybe aiming as far North as Jackson, WY.

Basically my ill conceived concept is to wild camp where legal as a make my way South. Only absolute requirements are to make it to Tucson by 5/23-24 AND I have to be someplace with WiFi or good cell service on 5/18 2-4:30 EST for a Zoom job interview. (Yes, it was going to be a Zoom interview no matter what).

Transport: 4Runner with LRA auxiliary tank.

Shelter: In the 4Runner, Shiftpod Mini or under at tarp.

1 Luke, almost 6 year old Chocolate Lab.

Any suggestions for must see/must avoid will be appreciated.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Just keep in mind you may still encounter snow and 4WD road closures at elevation in the Rockies.

Hope you have a great trip and the job works out for you!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Wish I had more info for you. Every time I drove from Maine to AZ I was always on a time crunch. But once you get to Tuscon check out Tombstone and Bisbee both were kind of touristy trap (Kind of like Bar Harbor) but fun. Have a safe trip

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

I live just west of Tombstone. Both Tombstone and Bisbee are somewhat touristy, but there is a huge amount of mining history here as well.
If you are coming down through Colorado, into New Mexico, once you pass Raton on the Colorado New Mexico border, take US 64 to Cimarron, then up over the
mountains to Eagles Nest, and Angel-fire. Continue down though Taos (Touristy/Artsy) along the Rio Grande River Gorge. You could spend a night in Santa Fe, which is a great town, South through Albuquerque to Socorro, west on US 60 past the VLA ( Very Large Array, Radio Telescopes) through Safford to I10 to Tucson. From Santa Fe south, it is very dry arid desert.

Another way you could go is through the high passes of south western Colorado, stopping by Ouray and Telluride, down through 4 corners, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Sedona to do a bunch of the trails there, then down through Phoenix into Tucson.

A third way would be coming down across Rocky Mountain National park, through Grand Junction, down to Moab Utah, and from there, Monument Valley down past the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff as in the other trip.

It all depends on how much time you want to spend and what you want to see.

Hope I made your decision making a little bit more interesting :)

Just in Cochise County, where I live, I could spend months exploring and never leave the county.

Have a great trip!!

Reactions: Road

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Another way you could go is through the high passes of south western Colorado, stopping by Ouray and Telluride, down through 4 corners, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Sedona to do a bunch of the trails there, then down through Phoenix into Tucson.
Just keep in mind that the high passes that SW CO are so famous for will mostly still be closed at that time.

Here's some info for checking the status of those 4WD trails:

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Just keep in mind that the high passes that SW CO are so famous for will mostly still be closed at that time.

Here's some info for checking the status of those 4WD trails:
Agreed

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

We just got back from a trip to Chandler, AZ and a side trip to Tucson. There is still SNOW, and lots of it, above 9,000Ft. Consider running the Route 66, which will take you into Flagstaff, then travel south to Tucson.
David

4Ruffner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maine, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ruffner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS -- WRJR401
Awning installed. Hopefully correctly. It’s great but I either have to make sure I get everything out of the drawers before I deploy or swing in “the back 90” to open the hatch. Or I should have gotten the 180. Thankfully the key will lower the rear window.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice views! You got good weather out there. We were through there a week or two ago and it was foggy with snow mixed with rain. Those mountains are surreal