Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Great work! I'm curious what your plan is for the rear extension areas. Shelves?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Very nice build. You should build/add storage cabinets or structural reinforcement above the futon bed to help with side-to-side rigidity when traveling down our smooth as glass highways & byways. I have seen custom built trailers fall apart due to flexing on a 2500 mile road trip. One of them actually pulled the screws right through the metal siding and the other one had interior damage to the side wall cabinets.

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Due to the angles in the front it is very ridged. All joints are mitered and with screws every 3 inches plus commercial building glue. The opening actually strengthens it because it has 1x2" wood for the lip mitered and attached to the roof. The roof is strong enough to not flex with all 220lbs of me standing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

I've looked at a couple of these trailers recently for use as a platform for a build. Here's my 20 questions...How did it tow? Do you feel like you need a longer tongue? Any idea on current weight? OK... Maybe it wasn't 20 questions.

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've looked at a couple of these trailers recently for use as a platform for a build. Here's my 20 questions...How did it tow? Do you feel like you need a longer tongue? Any idea on current weight? OK... Maybe it wasn't 20 questions.
What will you be pulling it with? I use a. 85 k30 and don't notice it at all. The longer tongue would be nice for backing up. And weight I don't have a clue.

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

What will you be pulling it with? I use a. 85 k30 and don't notice it at all. The longer tongue would be nice for backing up. And weight I don't have a clue.
Tow rig will be 2003 Sierra 2500HD with 6.0. Some of the mil-surp trailers I've looked at in my area appeared to be pretty beat. Main concern is road manners while towing due to abuse. I'm not concerned about the weight behind my truck. More curious to compare to a couple build threads with smaller steel tubbed trailers used as base that surprised the owner by how much they weigh when complete.

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Tow rig will be 2003 Sierra 2500HD with 6.0. Some of the mil-surp trailers I've looked at in my area appeared to be pretty beat. Main concern is road manners while towing due to abuse. I'm not concerned about the weight behind my truck. More curious to compare to a couple build threads with smaller steel tubbed trailers used as base that surprised the owner by how much they weigh when complete.
There isn't much to them the pintle can be remover dandy replaced with a standard hitch and brake system can be deactivated. As far as suspension I don't think mine is loaded enough for the torsion axles. I've considered maybe switching that to a trailing arm axleless.

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

There isn't much to them the pintle can be remover dandy replaced with a standard hitch and brake system can be deactivated. As far as suspension I don't think mine is loaded enough for the torsion axles. I've considered maybe switching that to a trailing arm axleless.

Did a quick Google search and found that the dry ship weight for the trailer is listed as 1400lbs and the payload is 2000lbs. I probably should have done the search before asking you. I think it is safe to say you have a way to go with that suspension.