LR Disco2 , nothing special, yet

• HTML tutorial

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

So, after a tough winter, I cruising the local buy/sell pages. Absent mindedly looking for a Toyota 4Runner or Jeep ( I had included Land Rover as a pipe dream) and this pops up.
"2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 , blown head gasket, no time to fix"
I pass, a week or more later it is still there, I start doing quick math. Purchase + parts + wrench time= 1/2 of retail, not bad. I pass, float the idea to wifey, no go.

Call seller , no/little rust , cattle farm , it had been run all winter checking fence lines, Ok. Call wifey from work, going to pick it up that Friday, lol, crickets.

That was a month ago, fast forward to today, all torn down , waiting on parts that will be here tomorrow.
This will not be a super build, but a budget build. A winter travel / exploring vehicle. The last couple years we have been " camping" out of 1 of 2 early century VW bugs, so let the adventure begin, lol, hope you enjoy the ride .KIMG2835.JPGKIMG2838.JPGKIMG2840.JPG

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

First thing you find is that someone has been here before you.
You can tell by mismatched or missing bolts .
Extra bits , like the hose clamp IN among the valve springs.
And my favorite, the mouse nest under the air filter.
Of course I did find a neat spot to store extra quart of oil or power steering fluidKIMG2863.JPGKIMG2865.JPGKIMG2917.JPGKIMG2860.JPG

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Now we are just about up to date.
Future plans include, but not limited to:
( No plan survived contact)

Winch bumper
2" lift + tires
Roof rack, possible roof tent
Storage drawers in the boot
Possible exhaust upgrade

Always open to suggestions , advise or things to avoid

Oh and a few trips out over the summer , between work and wrenching.
Hope to see you on the trail.

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

One suggestion... Replace the oil pump while in there doing the water pump. it's on the back side of the cover.

Knock it out, so you don't have to go back in at a later date.

Reactions: OvrRovR

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

While waiting for the BBT to appear, what does the post man bring me from England?
My water temp / pressure gauge, figured it would be another week.
Now how to mount sending unit?

Noticed that my radiator hose T does not have a bleed screw , I opted to put one in along with the sensor.
It may turn out to need a support bracket do to increased weight, we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Attachments

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Nice rig. I have a terrafirma 2” lift with the medium duty springs and shocks that I’m trying to sell. Send me a message if youre interested

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nice rig. I have a terrafirma 2” lift with the medium duty springs and shocks that I’m trying to sell. Send me a message if youre interested
Your trying to sell the rig , or the lift set up?

How did you like the trerra lift , have heard it's a 50/50 love hate with them .
I had a OME heavy duty set up in mind , but it wouldn't happen till late summer or early fall.
Bye the way , nice rig.

Last edited:

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I’m just selling the lift. Rover won’t be for sale for a long time. I personally didn’t like them because they didn’t hold the weight of the rack I have, or the bumpers with a full load. I have since switched to ome hd 3” lift springs with Fox shocks, and the terrafirma shock towers. It hold my weight better but I think I’m going to add a spring spacer for a bit more lift.

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Well long story short, the golden rule of engine work. If it might be bad and you already have it apart, and you can reach it. check it , fix it or replace it.
I violated that rule, cheaped out by not doing oil pump while it was apart. Oil pump still good , but timing cover gasket was bad or went bad . Found water in oil after 50 miles
Pressure tested coolant system, with oil pan off to see where the problem was.

Break out the wrenches, oil pan and cover come off. Wait for another package from Atlantic British, doing timing chain because I can reach it.

Attachments

OvrRovR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Got it all slapped together yesterday . New timing chain , oil pump and associated gaskets.

All the way to the corner gas station this morning , no leaks, lol.

Gave her a quick rise as a reward.KIMG3163.JPG

Reactions: Hafaday