Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Once I get new tires on, hoping to get out some. Unreal with the change of weather.

Rendezvous in the Ozarks and Southern Cruiser Crawl are coming up in Oct. I think I’ll be going to SCC, it’s in Hot Springs.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
anyone still following this? looks like there is potential to get a small group together down here. with temps cooling off it will be a decent time to plan something...probably shoot for arkansas since it is somewhat close and has a lot to see and do
Still check this one and the "Anyone up to start something" one from time to time as I see notifications. It seems like the few times anyone has posted anything, it dies quickly and the very few that I have seen that actually may have happened were all on weekends that I had to work. About the only thing that anyone can agree about is that we have NADA here in LA, lol. I agree we could/should be able to get some folks together, maybe on a regular basis and start getting out together. We've taken very few trips over the last couple of years just because of the lack of places that don't involve an entire day' or more drive to get to and it SUCKS! :rage:

The wife an I have gone to Arkansas for RTIO the past couple of years (likely not this year, though) and want to explore the area more, but would kind of like to go with another rig or two to maybe learn the lay of the land a bit faster and swap ideas. Other than RITO, its either been a couple of state parks or burning a couple of weeks vacation time to go out West. Only thing we've really done this year is meet up with some friends at Expo Mtn West and spent the following week boondocking around Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I'd much rather be able to do stuff on a three day weekend on a fairly regular basis vs. dragging the trailer half way across the country once a year, because that's gets expensive FAST, lol. I work shift work and have a three day weekend every other week, so I'm game as long as the trip can end up as at least two nights. Really not worth it otherwise and Arkansas is (barely, depending on when we leave) within that scope.

All that said to say, Yep! Interested and still watching...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, it is a bit tricky planning trips down here because we do have to travel a ways to get somewhere good. the closest place i know that is decent is Daisy State Park in Arkansas that is right at an hour southwest of Hot Springs on Hwy 70...about a 6hr or so drive for us. we go there a lot to kayak and hit some of the crystal mines in the area where you can pay $20 and dig for quartz crystals for a few hours. kinda fun, especially for the kids. the campground at daisy is nice and its right on the lake with some decent kayaking.

White Oak is closer, kind of straight down from Hot Springs and it is an OK state park that is also on the water. White Oak is probably an hour or so closer than Daisy, so maybe we can try to organize a meet there and see how it goes. i think the first thing is to just get a group together for a weekend and then go from there...once we meet and feel each other out, it will be easier to plan for future trips. i'm retired and pretty much go where and when i want...but in the last couple years there was the covid mess and then then Ida hit last year and devestated the area around here and i came out of retirement to do repairs for a gas pipeline company i used to contract to years ago. that has kept me from traveling this year and i also took a lick where one of my strip malls in Houma got demolished by the storm and I still have to rebuild it. so yeah, it is hard to plan sometimes because life does get in the way.

the wife and i are planning on Arkansas in October just to get away for a bit and also to try out the cargo trailer conversion i'm wrapping up. maybe some of us can get away one of the weekends in October? like i was saying, we all just to meet and greet and once we get to know each other, it will be easier to directly talk to one another and make future plans.

we go out west a lot and did get a 2 week trip in early last year where we went thru new mexico, colorado, utah, arizona, etc. we boondocked a good bit and also hit campgrounds...like at Moab. so if anyone wants to plan a big trip out west, we are definitely good for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagle_A40

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Either of those sound good to me. I know there are a fair number of OB members in the area (according to the OB1 app) and I'm sure some of us have unknowingly crossed paths while out and about at times, so it would be good to meet up, get to know each other, try to make meetings a fairly regular thing so we can all get out more as the weather cools off and try to get more active overall. As of right now, I'm scheduled to be off on the weekends of 10/7-10/9, 10/21-10/23 and 11/4-11/6 (all are Fri-Sun) so those weekends should work for me. I'm a Senior Investigator (aka: glorified Sergeant) with the EBR Parish Coroner's Office, so my schedule could change depending on staffing in my office and the whims of my supervisor. Doubtful, but possible...

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I'd love to go somewhere.

I sold the Nissan Frontier and bought an amazingly cared for 2010 GMC 1500.
Trying to decide what I'll do with it, traveling wise. Not sure if I'll buy a slide-in truck camper or a small tongue-pull trailer. Of course, I'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm still working (2-years) on my new shop and if I start camping now, the shop will be put on the back burner, and I can't have that.

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'd love to go somewhere.

I sold the Nissan Frontier and bought an amazingly cared for 2010 GMC 1500.
Trying to decide what I'll do with it, traveling wise. Not sure if I'll buy a slide-in truck camper or a small tongue-pull trailer. Of course, I'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm still working (2-years) on my new shop and if I start camping now, the shop will be put on the back burner, and I can't have that.
very cool! get that shop where you need it to be and the rest will follow...
i retired at 46 and and i'm always in my shop either building for myself or someone else...a fully functioning shop is the key to life! :grinning:

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Mike, I've been wanting to drive to Thibodaux for a while now. It's been quite some time since I've spoken to you, in person. I have a couple other friends who live there. Maybe I can visit all of y'all in the same day. Thinking.gif

My calendar is filled for the next couple weeks. Maybe the first part of October. Unkown.gif I'll text your phone when I decide to go your way.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Mike, I've been wanting to drive to Thibodaux for a while now. It's been quite some time since I've spoken to you, in person. I have a couple other friends who live there. Maybe I can visit all of y'all in the same day. View attachment 240681

My calendar is filled for the next couple weeks. Maybe the first part of October. View attachment 240682 I'll text your phone when I decide to go your way.
sounds great!
totally get being so busy. after Ida hit, Gulf South Gas called me out of retirement to help fix their gas pipeline damages from the storm. i used to contract to them years ago when i had my construction company, so i have been very busy with them since last october. finally wrapping up their stuff. if you remember the studio my wife had in Houma, well that was in one strip mall i own and the strip mall next to it with the restaurant in it got flattened by the hurricane. i pretty much have to rebuild it from the ground up. been a crazy year with more to come....BUT i still need to get out and get a change of scenery here soon. may not be able to do super long trips for a while, but i definitely need to get some short trips in

by this time next year i should be done with all my repairs and i can go back to being a lazy retired bum that plays in his shop all day or is out on some nice long trips! :grinning:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

After Ida hit, Gulf South Gas called me out of retirement to help fix their gas pipeline damages from the storm. I used to contract to them years ago when I had my construction company, so I have been very busy with them since last
Dang!! You should have call me. I love operating equipment.

if you remember the studio my wife had in Houma, well that was in one strip mall I own and the strip mall next to it with the restaurant in it got flattened by the hurricane. i pretty much have to rebuild it from the ground up. been a crazy year with more to come....BUT I still need to get out and get a change of scenery here soon. may not be able to do super long trips for a while, but I definitely need to get some short trips in
I remember you telling me about the damage to the strip mall. Sad thing indeed.

by this time next year, I should be done with all my repairs and i can go back to being a lazy retired bum that plays in his shop all day or is out on some nice long trips! :grinning:
Thumbup1.gif

Patassa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

I've been exploring North Georgia and North Carolina with my girls and dog the last couple of years, we usually go for fall break and/or spring break. We also did a 2 weeker out west hitting CO, UT, AZ, and NM this passed summer. 4300 miles round trip, camped for most of it. Bowed up working a turnaround for the rest of this year, but might try to check out that completed Florida adventure trail between Christmas and New years.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been exploring North Georgia and North Carolina with my girls and dog the last couple of years, we usually go for fall break and/or spring break. We also did a 2 weeker out west hitting CO, UT, AZ, and NM this passed summer. 4300 miles round trip, camped for most of it. Bowed up working a turnaround for the rest of this year, but might try to check out that completed Florida adventure trail between Christmas and New years.
nice
we're also checking out some of what alabama has to offer and since its closer, might be of interest to you.

Reactions: Leeaekdb

Big Easy Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

anyone still following this? looks like there is potential to get a small group together down here. with temps cooling off it will be a decent time to plan something...probably shoot for arkansas since it is somewhat close and has a lot to see and do
I check in every so often. Ida recovery has pretty much taken precedent over anything else, but I hope to have some time soon.