Looking to start overlanding. Can I do it with my new SR5?

• HTML tutorial

Zephons

Rank 0

Contributor I

Roy, UT, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
Morrill
I just bought a brand new 4Runner SR5.

Unfortunately overlanding wasn't something I thought about when purchasing it and I didn't really see the need for all the extra off-roading gear the TRD comes with. All I was looking for is a good family car that can take us normal camping with both our dogs. The SR5 has a better cargo weight capacity than the TRD, which is also a plus.

Now, however, I have become interested in overlanding, but being a complete novice to this type of camping I am not sure what I need vehicle wise. I assume it is highly dependendent on the trails/routes I go on, but I am not sure how many routes are easy enough for an stock SR5.

Do any of you experienced overlanders use a stock SR5, or and SR5 with upgrades? What upgrades do you recommend to make mine overlanding worthy?

Also general advice about getting into overlanding is welcome. I know I shouldn't go alone, and I should pick easy routes until I get more experience, but any other tips are appreciated.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Good tires make more of a difference then anything. You don't need some overly built expensive vehicle to go offroading and explore despite what instagram and youtube tells you. Pay attention to your driving, know what you are getting into, and just be smart. I've seen cars that didn't look like they were able to drive on the road end up in places off road that some of my friends were getting worried with my truck....

Zephons

Rank 0

Contributor I

Roy, UT, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
Morrill
Yeah my intuition has been telling me the same thing. Even the SR5 does very well off-road and and I don't want to go into situations where it wouldn't be adequate, with or without all the TRD's features. The only thing that worries me is that sometimes there are surprises, and I don't want to risk being in one of those situations by accident.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I just bought a brand new 4Runner SR5.

Unfortunately overlanding wasn't something I thought about when purchasing it and I didn't really see the need for all the extra off-roading gear the TRD comes with. All I was looking for is a good family car that can take us normal camping with both our dogs. The SR5 has a better cargo weight capacity than the TRD, which is also a plus.

Now, however, I have become interested in overlanding, but being a complete novice to this type of camping I am not sure what I need vehicle wise. I assume it is highly dependendent on the trails/routes I go on, but I am not sure how many routes are easy enough for an stock SR5.

Do any of you experienced overlanders use a stock SR5, or and SR5 with upgrades? What upgrades do you recommend to make mine overlanding worthy?

Also general advice about getting into overlanding is welcome. I know I shouldn't go alone, and I should pick easy routes until I get more experience, but any other tips are appreciated.
I have a TRD OffRoad, currently rocking stock tires. Here's a rundown of what I find I need when crawling around the mountains in Northern New Mexico:
  • 4WD High Range - yep, all the time
  • 4WD Low-Range - yes, on rougher trails
  • Rear Locker, A-Trac, Crawl-Control - rare to occasional, mostly on really rough forest roads, particularly if they've been torn-up or rutted by "clubs" during wet weather (basically, if the road is bad enough that you might wish you had sliders)
  • I don't rock-crawl
  • I am looking forward to better tires soon
The 4Runner is a good platform and very capable straight out of the factory. Just drive it. Learn it. It doesn't need a lot of modification.

Last edited:

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Of course you can: You have a great vehicle for Overland adventure travel. First thing is drive your new vehicle and get used to it and how it drives in all types of real world conditions, and then venture off road with a local group that is into adventure travel. You will learn from them, as well as what your vehicle can do off road. Attend any of the major Overland Expo Shows, East, or West (depending on where you live in the country). While visiting with the vendors is nice to see what they want to sell you, sign up for the learning seminars offered either by featured speakers or by vendors themselves to learn techniques and tips for competent and safe overland travel.

After that, it's what your heart and wallet can afford (within reason).

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought a tundra the beginning of 2018 and have been all over the place in it with no problems and its the regular tundra, not the TRD. i see a lot of 4-runners out and about and they do great. all i did was install a leveling kit and went up a size or two on tires and its plenty of clearance now

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
You can absolutely do overland travel in any 4Runner. I had a '99 Ford Explorer that was 2wd with a completely open differential and took it all over the place. I put a set of cheap all terrain tires on it and just went! I went to Big Bend National park several times, driving roads that we later heard were giving trouble to people in "more capable" vehicles. Just do what you're comfortable with and have a good time!

Also, BCNP4Runner is right. Airing down makes a big difference and can be done for much cheaper than a set of tires. All you need is a decent portable compressor. Pro-tip there: get one that connects directly to the battery instead of a cigarette lighter powered one. I got one for $70 from Harbor Freight and have been quite impressed with it. I can air my tires up faster than I can air down. here's a link if you're interested: 12v 150 PSI Compact Air Compressor

Last edited:

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Yes, you absolutely can go Overlanding with your 4Runner. As most others have already said the 4Runner is capable without a locker. You may have to be careful as to the trails and routes you choose. If you get to a spot you do not feel comfortable about an obstacle you can always turn around. I do all of these things with my 4Runner and Tacoma with rear lockers. These cannot go everywhere.

You should still bring recovery gear.

It is amazing some of the places I use to go in 2 wheel drive sedans and pickups.

Learn the limits of your of vehicle. Pick good lines. And, most of all be safe and enjoy!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Stock SR5, get a tent, cooler, sleeping bags nd just go. People overland in stock Ford Tempos.

No matter how many "upgrades" you do, it is all about your judgement.
On the "upgrade" debacle..... every "upgrade"?? exposes the stock components to additional loads, stress meaning your "uograde" was a down grade.

There will always be surprizes, is that not why we leave home?

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Like everyone said, tires should be your first priority. I don't know why Toyota puts "car" tires on SR5's. If you start heading west toward me, the ground becomes more volcanic. Sharper rocks. This is the main reason my SR5 Tacoma has been left on the street for now. I haven't prioritized that because I have my Cruiser. Otherwise tires would have been first. Some of the best off road trails in the country are between you and the coast. Start out with day trips and go from there.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Wow If that's the question maybe learn to camp by hiking first. Not to be mean but if your so inexperienced that you have to ask that question you probably need to start small at a city park, or in your backyard and work your way up.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

No it’s not possible , have to sell it and at least get a Trd or trd pro , then just the essentials a rtt , slide out kitchen , drone , 2 sets of max tracs, aluminum bumpers ... you know to save weight and don’t forget a trasharoo. Jk Tell someone where you’re going to throw in a sleeping bag and food and just get out and explore

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
No it’s not possible , have to sell it and at least get a Trd or trd pro , then just the essentials a rtt , slide out kitchen , drone , 2 sets of max tracs, aluminum bumpers ... you know to save weight and don’t forget a trasharoo. Jk Tell someone where you’re going to throw in a sleeping bag and food and just get out and explore
And limb risers! Hahaha.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Wow If that's the question maybe learn to camp by hiking first. Not to be mean but if your so inexperienced that you have to ask that question you probably need to start small at a city park, or in your backyard and work your way up.
i don't know, man....those city parks can be tough!

1622154822555.png

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have a co-worker who has heard many of my stories about my adventure, or overland, trips and was itching to tag along. A few weeks ago he followed me down to the Big Iron Overland Rally. His vehicle wouldn't be my first choice, but if you are honest with yourself and do practice Tread Lightly, an AWD MKX does make for a decent adventure rig.

1622231549014.png
1622231907245.png

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I have "overlanded" in everything from pick up trucks, to SUVs to a Ford Focus. 2WD,4WD, and AWD, you have a great vehicle that is exponentially more capable than some of the things I have driven into the woods. If you are new, Start by exploring your immediate area, take day trips, then try 1-nighters nearby your home. This is the best way to figure out what gear, upgrades, and ultimately what kind of vehicle that will fit your needs and what you are interested in doing. Don't rely on some schmucks on youtube to tell you that you need Dometic refrigeration, or roof top tents, elaborate rack systems, or solar power, or high end kitchens that pop out of the the back of your truck. All of that stuff is nice to have, but none of it is neccesary, and not all of it will work for the types of trips you will want to take. And your ideas and goals will change so there is no one size "this is what you need to have a good time" setup.

I started off 20 years ago packing a few sleeping bags, a blanket, a couple bottles of booze, a flashlight and a cooler full of food in the trunk of a compact sedan. We didn't have GPS or google back then so I would look for random beachs in the middle of nowhere and spend all day driving to them and half the fun was gambling on which spots I would pick would be gems, and which would be busts. The only things that are neccesary are to not tresspass, don't be an ass, pick up trash when you see it, even if it's not yours, leave no trace, and prioritize safety over everything. Don't drive stupid, don't risk "sending it" if you don't have recovery equipment, and be practical. For 20 years I've wanted to get a winch on like three different trucks that I have owned over those years, but to this day I keep putting it off because I have never needed one. Not saying that a winch isn't a neccesity, but it just isn't for me and where I want to go. This is how you'll figure out what you will need to get to where you want to go. The best thing to do is to make plans for your first trip, start slow, and go from there. Good luck!

Reactions: Alanymarce