Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

I just sold my 2500 mega cab 5.7 last week for more than I bought it for 4 years ago, strange times. It was never the ideal rig to go out and about near by. I live East of Palm Springs, Looking to play mostly in the California and AZ deserts and Mountain areas and most likely never out more than a week at a time. I also will use it to commute to LA a few times a month, main reason for getting rid of the 2500 gas hog. So far I'm between :

Gladiator Mojave (new) , Looks like a fun rig for the desert, I'm not looking to go hardcore rock crawling so I don't think I'll need a Rubicon. If I go this route I'll have to wait at least a year to start any other Mods till I can afford them I have a smithy built tent so All I'll need is a rack. This looks like to most comfortable for daily driving.

Gladiator Overland (new), all the cab comforts that I wont be able to get in the Mojave (due to cost) and then about 5K to spend on wheels tires and hopefully a locking rear end when I do the regearing

Tacoma Off road (new), This is about 10k less than the Mojave so that leaves a lot for suspension build and new camping gear set up.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 (used) with the diesel engine. MPG is the best of the bunch and get a front and rear locker and Ill leave this fairly stock except for maybe some 33' tires and then some cash for gear.

Every rig has it's plus and minus. I like the Chevy but it doesnt seem to have the aftermarket as the Toy or Jeep.

Love to hear what the board thinks. Looking to buy next month. Toyotas out here are marked up 5k and I found a dealer for the Jeeps that's only jacking it up 2500.

Reactions: Werlyb23

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Comfort for daily driving is not the Wrangler, Gladiator strong point, they are the roughest riding modern 4x4s... period.
From your list, I'd pick the ZR2, definitely a smooth ride plus lockers, lockers are more valuable than a winch. Plus if you like the environment, lockers let you tread far lighter than without lockers. 10 years and 2 Rubicons later I swear by selectable lockers.

Lockers also save the equipment letting you crawl rather than needing momentum,,,, ie speed to get thru a particularly gnarly section.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I second the diesel, especially if you are using it daily. I’m learning to make bio-diesel for fuel, which is another consideration in these crazy economic times. It may be cheaper to drive to AZ to fuel up than down the street in Palm Springs... topic for a whole other conversation.

trucks are much easier to put racks on, as there is a whole and long standing market for truck rack makers. So transferring your rtt and hauling your gear where ever you want to go will be simpler to do. IMHO.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I like the Chevy but, as you mentioned the Toyota and Jeep have the best aftermarket support. I will second on lockers but my current rig has none and I doubt if i will add them in. All my past vehicles had at least one and you cant beat selectable.

I say, do a build sheet on all three and see where you end up. Make sure whatever you look at for the Chevy comes from a reputable source (not cheap crap). Add in where you go camping and choose from there.
I was out your way this weekend in anza borrego and ocotillo. I love that area.

Reactions: Werlyb23

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Tacoma ..it’s a good solid rig but I can’t stand the seating position just don’t like the on the floor feeling and the motor really lacks once you put a little weight on it .

Go test drive a zr2 it’s hands down one of the nicest driving rigs on and off the road on the market .

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

That’s the worry about the Tacoma also. I drive back and forth from LA to East of Palm Springs a few times a week. I won’t always do it in my truck , but the few times a month I will do it I need to be comfortable for those 3 1/2 hour rides home.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
i have a Gladiator Rubicon and love it. I hear the Mojave rides better, but the Rubicon is already plush compared to my old Tacoma. Yes, plush. Besides, the Mojave wasn't an option when I got my truck. I don't have the space, time, or skill to do much "building" so I wanted something ready to roll out of the box. I added a winch, and may add 35s when my 33s wear out.

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

Found a 21 ZR2 Bison for 45k with 8300 miles, the shift plates are cherry. The guy never took it off road. 8000$ less than the lower option Mojave and so much more comfortable than the Tacoma. Next step will be 4.10 gears and 33” tires and a cab high RTT rack. Then if I can swing it a wench. Can’t wait to get her out!

Attachments

toolsforwar

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Point Pleasant, NJ
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

new ford ranger? maybe they bring the 3.0 diesel here. I'm gonna look into one. That 10 speed is amazing from what I heard.

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Found a 21 ZR2 Bison for 45k with 8300 miles, the shift plates are cherry. The guy never took it off road. 8000$ less than the lower option Mojave and so much more comfortable than the Tacoma. Next step will be 4.10 gears and 33” tires and a cab high RTT rack. Then if I can swing it a wench. Can’t wait to get her out!
Did you say "cab high RTT rack"?

max bed rack assembly pro taco max sl, 52 inch long, 18 inch high.jpg

2xcrash

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Quinta, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Corney
Member #

KB I saw you site and am interested in a rack. Where are you located? I’m east of Palm Springs.