Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia
First Name
michael
Last Name
morris
Member #

Looking to due the trans American trail hopefully next year has anyone done it are there parts i should skip ill be leaveing from. Virginia

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I see you haven't had any replies...I am planning on doing it next year too. Just started my research. I will likely skip the Atlantic Spur but plan to include the Rocky Mountain Shadow and the Pacific Spurs with a few diversions to see the Red Woods and maybe some National Parks further north of the trail on the way home. I haven't bought maps or the GPS downloads yet, but hoping to do 2 months. At 200 miles a day, looks like 25 days is the minimum if you do all 5,000 miles. June looks like it is the time to go if you want to avoid snow in the mountains and I'm planning May/June/July as of now. Mostly looking to camp, but will get a hotel every few days to clean up and recharge. I unfortunately can't answer you actual questions, but interested in hearing what you find if you talk to anyone else that's done it.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I just retired at the end of this past school year. I would like to do a long road trip not sure if the TAT is the one but at some point I know I would like to make it up to the Arctic via the Dalton Highway.

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I just retired at the end of this past school year. I would like to do a long road trip not sure if the TAT is the one but at some point I know I would like to make it up to the Arctic via the Dalton Highway.
I followed a thread on a different forum of a guy that bought a brand new Jeep Gladiator (what I drive) and left from the dealership for the Dalton Highway. Went on a 12.000 mile road trip to the Arctic Circle in a vehicle he had never driven!

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I followed a thread on a different forum of a guy that bought a brand new Jeep Gladiator (what I drive) and left from the dealership for the Dalton Highway. Went on a 12.000 mile road trip to the Arctic Circle in a vehicle he had never driven!
I've seen few videos on people doing the trip but doing it with a vehicle (doesn't matter which brand) fresh off the lot.

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Are there any Gaia maps for the TAT?
I don't know for certain and I haven't tried GAIA yet, but from what I understand, the TAT tracks are just waypoints/POI's that are uploaded as GPX...I would assume they will display on whatever map you have chosen/saved to whatever app you are using. If you want the tracks displayed on topo maps, you would need topo maps loaded vs road maps etc...I'm making and educated guess at this point, but I am again assuming that as long as your app/gps can display POI's, then it won't matter what map you are using, but obviously some will provide better detail and terrain mapping than others. I do know that you can upload GPX tracks to GAIA as long as they don't exceed a certain file size and if they do you have to break them up...I'm pretty sure the TAT GPX files come in several sections or by state depending on how you buy them. I don't know what their file size are yet as I haven't purchased...BUT I don't know if GAIA actually has TAT tracks available without having to buy them from others.

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Tracks and maps are available from the guy that actually mapped out the route.

I'm aware, I think (making an assumption) the @Hisroad Travels was asking if GAIA had those tracks already without having to buy them from Sam. But I also know Sam updates his regularly and there are a lot of "bad" tracks being marketed that are putting people on private property or in areas they shouldn't be...I am definitely buying tracks and maps from Sam.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Has anyone purchased the GPX files from him? I'm super down with financially supporting this kind of business. They aren't cheap so I mostly just want to know if the waypoints and routes are useful and well documented.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
The maps only east to west. The gpx files can go in either direction. Plus, Sam is working on a northern route that will connect with the southern route with spurs off that main trail.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
The TAT is on my dream list. Just getting the time off of work to do it in one shot will be practically impossible. I could do segments over a longer time, but I'd prefer to take 3-4 weeks and just do it.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

I am also interested in this trip, but not sure my poor xterra is up for it lol. Definitely my long term goal.