Looking to buy my first growler (s), what are your favorites?

• HTML tutorial

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I've seen the glass growlers for a many years, but glass in my life is a no-no. We lead way too rough and tumble lives. On our last Magruder run, while on resupply in Hamilton, MT, one group member showed me the path to enlightenment; He threw down a stainless steel container at Bitteroot Brewing and 7 dollars later, had a half gallon of tasty beverage, while I was cruising the local canned finds.

What are your favorite growlers and why? Plastic or Stainless, screw type or bail top and ease of cleaning on the trail? Do you buy on Amazon, etc., or pick one up at the brewery. I'm thinking of purchasing several.

I've homebrewed for years, but stopped until we get water in the cabin; too extensive of cleanup and sanitizing, so i'm always under trail conditons. I do use One-step for sanitizing my brewing equipment, maybe carry a bottle in the kit.
There are no breweries for a good hundred miles where I live, so being able to fill up when on the road would be a seriously plus in my life.

For extra credit, I'd love to hear some of your favorite fill up spots and brews around the west.

Britz.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I've had two of these water/coffee bottles for a couple years that I LOVE, so I bought one of their growlers too. Haven't used it yet though as my wife pretty much commandeered it for her frikin iced tea… *frustrated face*

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I was gifted one at a grill over in WA today, I got into a whole discussion on why they chose a particular kind to sell. The guy said a bail top is best since it holds the carbonation longer, screw tops will still slowly leak CO2. It is glass, but kt was free, now I need a stainless bail top, i guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
My two current beverage holders are the 64oz RTIC stainless twist tops.
Very affordable and they hold decals well. I chill them, then have them filled locally.
Yes, they do not hold carbonation nearly as long, but my beer don't last that long either.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Took both SS growlers on my week long trip from ID to the Boundary Waters last week. I had both filled at Bitteroot Brewery in Hamilton, MT. After several days of trails, altitude changes and dropping, I enjoyed perfectly carbonated Stout and honey ale 5 days later; even the screw top held the CO2 nicely and is much easier to clean at camp. Both growlers were opened every day for a pint.

Once the seal on the bail top goes, I'll have to hunt down some replacement gaskets, or it's garbage; the screw top has zero parts to replace without killing the jug first.

I'll check out that Stanley Growler as well, looks pretty stout, no pun intended.

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@britz
What are your favorite growlers and why? Plastic or Stainless, screw type or bail top and ease of cleaning on the trail? Do you buy on Amazon, etc., or pick one up at the brewery. I'm thinking of purchasing several.

For extra credit, I'd love to hear some of your favorite fill up spots and brews around the west.
I have a stable of Stainless Steel bottles from EcoVessel. My EDC for the last 18-24 months has been their 45oz bigfoot
https://www.ecovessel.com/bigfoot-triple-insulated-stainless-steel-water-bottle-with-tea-fruit-ice-strainer-45-oz/
They recently cut the price on them and may be closing them out :(
Other than a few tiny dings still looks as good as new. Ice from lunch time Friday will hold over till Monday morning on occasion. Cleans easily with the wide mouth using a good bottle brush. Customer service was great when I needed a couple of the strainers replaced due to early failures. No problems with the latest ones.

They have a 64oz Growler ( https://www.ecovessel.com/boss-triple-insulated-stainless-steel-beer-growler-bottle-with-infuser-64-oz/ ) that I've been considering.

If you make it out to Pagosa Springs CO. Check out either the Putt Hill Smokey Porter from Wolfe Brewing, or Ragin' Raspberry or PB Stout from Pagosa Brewing. Also too many good fillups around the Moab area to list.

Boort

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I have a "Drinktanks" 128oz growler with the tap kit. They make a smaller model but don't bother with the tap kit unless you get the 128.

https://www.drinktanks.com/product/drinktanks-128-oz-growler/

I use my CO2 powertank to charge it (it comes with BB gun type cartridges). Fits inside my Engel fridge and is double walled to keep beer cold one deployed to the campfire. A local gear shop and client had custom growlers made up with his logo.

Local fill ups at Steamworks Brewing or Animas Brewing in Durango.

IMG_1018.JPG

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I'm a yeti guy and also have a hydroflask that is great. That being said, depending on where you're hoping to fill up, there may be laws against it. Where I live in ca. My local brewery's can't fill a growler unless certain labeling is done so they only fill the growlers they sell since they print all of the necessary information on them. I'm friends with one of the brewers and they said that they are so scrutinized by the local government agencies that it's not worth it to not be over the top in compliance about it. Some brewers might print labels to stick on personal growlers, but I haven't ran on to that around here yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
ID, WA, and MT are my main fill up joints now, so far no issues with personal issues.

That 128oz Drinktank is SWEET.