Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Are you looking to camp or for a day trip. Not a trail, but a beautiful camping spot at Railroad flat.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Its on the map in the app. The GPS is 37.618200,-120.019700

Located right off of highway 140. Great camp spot.

Come over to Arnold (Highway 4) or Highway 108. Plenty of spots to wheel on this side of the canyon. It is about a 1.5-hour drive from Maraposa.

Reactions: Motomikeca

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Its on the map in the app. The GPS is 37.618200,-120.019700

Located right off of highway 140. Great camp spot.

Come over to Arnold (Highway 4) or Highway 108. Plenty of spots to wheel on this side of the canyon. It is about a 1.5-hour drive from Maraposa.
We are based out of atwater with a ranch in mariposa. I just always looking for other peoples input and trail experiences, this state has so much to offer, adventure wise! You just have to get out and find it. We are actually doing the morman emigrant trail with the tri valley group in a couple weeks, should hit some snow according the the weather. Thank you for the coordinates

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

@Motomikeca That sounds like a fun trip. I live in Murphys and in Fremont.. The Morman emigrant trial should be fun. Let's hope this week brings some fresh snow. If so it will be fun.

I took a Gladiator group member out above Sonora right after the last storm. We ended up breaking snow for a good portion of the day. We pulled several people out. All in all it was fun. Perhaps sometimes we can meet on the trail.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
@Motomikeca That sounds like a fun trip. I live in Murphys and in Fremont.. The Morman emigrant trial should be fun. Let's hope this week brings some fresh snow. If so it will be fun.

I took a Gladiator group member out above Sonora right after the last storm. We ended up breaking snow for a good portion of the day. We pulled several people out. All in all it was fun. Perhaps sometimes we can meet on the trail.
Yes anytime, my wife and I are always out exploring when we can. The group going up is fun/training/recovery. I’m always surprised how many people haven’t actually drove in snow, should be fun!!

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Yes anytime, my wife and I are always out exploring when we can. The group going up is fun/training/recovery. I’m always surprised how many people haven’t actually drove in snow, should be fun!!
I am really surprised by that. Every year in between Christmas and New Years' my wife and I take the Jeep and my son brings his we go out and rescue people. I never take money in return (bad karma). I am always so surprised by how unprepared people are, and really foolish they can be. For example, we pulled out a father, with his wife and 3 months old. They were in 2 miles in pretty deep snow. It was 3:30 when we found them stuck.

Just a sad state of affairs.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I am really surprised by that. Every year in between Christmas and New Years' my wife and I take the Jeep and my son brings his we go out and rescue people. I never take money in return (bad karma). I am always so surprised by how unprepared people are, and really foolish they can be. For example, we pulled out a father, with his wife and 3 months old. They were in 2 miles in pretty deep snow. It was 3:30 when we found them stuck.

Just a sad state of affairs.
I love using my recovery gear and do so any chance I can. We ran into a similar situation New Year’s Day over Carson pass, I don’t get surprised anymore.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I love using my recovery gear and do so any chance I can. We ran into a similar situation New Year’s Day over Carson pass, I don’t get surprised anymore.
This year was my first year out with my Gladiator. I totally agree about using recovery gear. Before the Gladiator I had a Power Wagon. That was a beast in the snow. Really heavy sank fast, but a tank at pulling people out. Always fun.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
This year was my first year out with my Gladiator. I totally agree about using recovery gear. Before the Gladiator I had a Power Wagon. That was a beast in the snow. Really heavy sank fast, but a tank at pulling people out. Always fun.
Very true, the wagon doesn’t float over anything. I do have to admit I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the overall performance off-roading, just adapting and using the weight to your advantage when you can. What year wagon did you have?

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I had 2012. Lifted 3 inches on 37's. Really liked the rig it performed well off-road. Once I got used to the size it did well. Selling it was a hard decision, but the size was just to big for our needs. We used to tow a toy hauler, but when we sold it I decided to scale down. I enjoyed wheeling with it. I agree the weight was an advantage in some situations,

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I had 2012. Lifted 3 inches on 37's. Really liked the rig it performed well off-road. Once I got used to the size it did well. Selling it was a hard decision, but the size was just to big for our needs. We used to tow a toy hauler, but when we sold it I decided to scale down. I enjoyed wheeling with it. I agree the weight was an advantage in some situations,
They made some improvements on the latest years biggest being 8 speed transmission with transfer ratios have improved as well but like you said it is big and it does require a lot more thought to navigate “Jeep” trails.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Agree, the bigger engine and the trans made a big difference. I did like the 4:56 gears in my year. Later years they moved to 4:11. Either way they are great rigs.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Agree, the bigger engine and the trans made a big difference. I did like the 4:56 gears in my year. Later years they moved to 4:11. Either way they are great rigs.
Definitely, I look forward to meeting up one of these days. It’s been nice chatting.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey Mike that place I was trying to tell you about the other weekend and couldn't remember was Shuteye Peak, the road 8029 is a nice drive in the mountains.

Shuteye Peak

I used to rock climb out there. Lots of cool Granite Slabs. Fun to hike about.

Hope that helps!