Looking for storage container recommendations.

• HTML tutorial

DanAce24

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Hi All!

My husband and I are looking to invest in a new storage system for our camping gear. The system we have been using is not the best, as we have one big container for all our supplies. As a result, it has been difficult to find things that float to the bottom of the container and it is too heavy for me to lift on my own. I have seen some great gear ideas online and am looking to see if any of you have any suggestions as well. Some of the gear I have seen are AluBoxes, which look ideal as they hold their shape without taking up much space and are very light. However, the price tag is a bit alarming. Are they worth the investment? Another, more budget friendly option, is a plastic container 3 drawer system. This will help keep items in place, but I am concerned about the durability. Are there other options that are ideal or name brands that are more durable than others?

Thank you for any suggestions! Happy travels everyone!
-Sara

jhallgren22

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hallgren
Member #

Not sure how big of a system you will need, but you may like something like the Milwaukee Packout System, and Dewalt, Rigid, and others have systems like it as well. You can get a "base" system that also acts as a dolly (usually has a bigger box as part of it, and then the others can stack onto it.

I haven't used them for storing camping gear, as I personally just use MTM crates, but we use them at work to organize tool kits, and allow for ease of mobility for some of our staff.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi All!

My husband and I are looking to invest in a new storage system for our camping gear. The system we have been using is not the best, as we have one big container for all our supplies. As a result, it has been difficult to find things that float to the bottom of the container and it is too heavy for me to lift on my own. I have seen some great gear ideas online and am looking to see if any of you have any suggestions as well. Some of the gear I have seen are AluBoxes, which look ideal as they hold their shape without taking up much space and are very light. However, the price tag is a bit alarming. Are they worth the investment? Another, more budget friendly option, is a plastic container 3 drawer system. This will help keep items in place, but I am concerned about the durability. Are there other options that are ideal or name brands that are more durable than others?

Thank you for any suggestions! Happy travels everyone!
-Sara

Hey Sara -

I mostly use three types: Zarges K470 Cases, Front Runner Wolf and Cub Packs, and for my photog and electronics and sometimes clothes if being stored up top outside, Pelican Cases. Behind that comes the less-rugged, less-durable but also a lot less expensive Plano totes.

The Zarges cases are the original aluminum expedition case, which Aluboxes are modeled after. Zarges has two sizes in their K470 series that have been certified Bear Resistant by the IGBC, the 40810 and the 40678, both shown below in my images (two of one, one of the other), all stacked together. Weatherproof, dust proof, rugged and dependable.

Yes, after having used my Zarges cases for about three years in all sorts of weather and environments all over North America, I am very convinced of their being well worth the expense.

I have three Pelican #1510 cases (two shown below) which are convenient carry-on size and have a pull out handle and wheels. I also have three (four?) larger Pelican #1600 cases. Pelican cases are world-famous for being as rugged as anyone could want for keeping moisture and dust out, and protecting one's valuables and gear.

You can get pluckable foam for both the Zarges and Pelican to customize for safe-keeping of contents, when needed. You can also get organizers that go on the inside of the lids.

Here's eight pages of suggestions, tips, and images from forum members on storage containers:

What do you use to store all your gear?

Here are some of my containers, from just two days ago pulling everything out to clean and re-organize during this virus crisis downtime:

storage_0436200326-900.jpg
From Left to Right: Pelican, Zarges K470, Plano

cubpacks-nosebox_6620.jpeg
Front Runner Outfitters Cub Packs (4) and soft-sided (2). The FRO Wolf Packs and Cub Packs are great because they are straight-sided (thereby saving space) and stack really well. They are on end in this image, slid into the nose box of my trailer.

packinglanes-2-900.jpg
Lower left: my larger Zarges K470. Behind it is another Zarges case on edge. Upper right, back (black): two FRO Wolf Packs. I love those things.

Hope this helps. If you or anyone have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited: