Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Hey guys! Just discovered OB community recently. Been in San Antonio, Texas for a year or so, grew up camping and backpacking and have slowly been moving in a more vehicle-dependent direction since I owned my Tacoma, and now my 4runner. I’ve always loved being prepared, and I really started the mindset of “vehicle dependence” after getting stranded overnight in my old F250 in an ice storm in Alabama 4 or 5 years back. Never heard of overlanding till this year, but I LOVE getting out of civilization, love working on my vehicle, being prepared for anything, and let’s be honest. The gear is just plain awesome too.

I’ve been to Big Bend, it’s awesome, I want to go back out there all the time. But it’s 4 plus hours away, a bit much for a short weekend trip. Right now my wife and I are really prioritizing 1-2 night weekend trips, trying to do once a month. We love being as remote as possible, and if there are ways we can get further away from civilization within our state, we want to find them! My favorite camping trip we’ve done to date was 4 nights/5 days in Glacier NP backcountry.

We love state parks and are going to be visiting a ton of them this year.

What about remote areas though? The ONLY remote, off-road access, OHV friendly areas I know of in Texas, besides off-road parks which aren’t really my thing, is Big Bend and PINS. Honestly, I’m a little leary of PINS, from my research it sounds like a place where rednecks drive on the beach and drink a lot. I’d love to be told otherwise though!

What else is out there? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

I am also a new member, also In San Antonio, and also wondering the same thing.

I will say that I was born in Texas, lived here my entire life and yet I still had to look up "PINS". Once I saw what it was Padre Island National Seashore, I then said "Oh, Padre Island". I have never been to the actual GREEN AREA of PINS beaches, I have been to the same beach area that is north of PINS. Port Aransas is a great area to enjoy the beach. I have not personally camped "on" the Beach, I have been on said beach from dawn until dusk, stumbled to my cabin bed just off the beach and then walked back out the following morning for more beach fun. I know many who camp on the beach in that area and all of us have never truly been worried about the rednecks, big trucks, go-carts or beach walkers that go up and down all day. It is closer to the city so it is patrolled pretty well, In my opinion, so I would try that area first.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Rooster nice to meet you!

So, you’re saying go to the beach north of Padre Island and you can still camp and drive on the beach? I guess we need to get down there and check it out. Sounds really great, I would just really hate to drive down there hoping for some nice beach camping, and end up in the middle of something a little crazier with lots of people.

I also see you’re in the restaurant industry...same here. I manage Steel City Pops here in San Antonio.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Gentlemen,
I have been to PINs twice and driven a while towards the South Shore from the entrance. But it is about 90 miles one way. It is remote and yet beautiful. I am planning a trip for July 3-5 with my wife. I suppose it will be a bit crowded (July 4) towards the entrance North Shore but i bet going down south is would not be. If you like, i can keep you posted. Nearby the State park (Mustang) is closed for camping. But there is dispersed camping around the coastal bend.

Check out my YouTube Channel and welcome to the scene of Overlanders.
peace.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

PINS sounds much more promising than I expected. That’s really great.

In addition, I’ve found this “hill country tour” route that’s just public dirt roads and a few stream crossings going through the hill country. Made me realize that Texas has a ton of dirt backroads, and while they normally have private land on both sides, the roads are still public. And Texas hill country is gorgeous.

My wife and I are thinking of doing PINS this fall, during the off season. And probably doing some day trips through the hill country over the next month or so. We’re going to use it as a chance to practice making detailed routes in google earth, exporting to Gaia, and using that to map our route.

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

That makes total sense about PINS being less crowded the farther you go. I will say that the problem with Mustang Island is that there is a way to get off the beach at both ends so many more people drive it. I have never Camped on Mustang Island. I am just familiar with Port Aransas. Or at least I used to be :( I haven't been down since Harvey.

Ben, my Brother and I own and Operate Tycoon Flats on N St Marys.

I have for so many years been working so much that I don't have a hobby and don't go on vacation. Things are finally getting better and I see some light at the end of the tunnel as far as taking some time for my self and family. Getting away/camping/unplugging has always been a desire for my Family (Wife, 8yo & 6yo) but haven't done anything yet except an ORV Park in Hot Springs Arkasas. That was fun! I have recently stumbled upon overlanding. A Friend told me about OverlandBound and here I am. I don't even own a tent. Just have desire and maybe the vehicle if I can get it to be more reliable.

I am going to bring the fam down for some Pops soon!!

JoshD

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AF5RY
Let me know when ya'll want to hit PINS. Ill bring down all the big shark rods. Rooster, still using that Grand Wagoneer in your avatar pic? I had a 88 GW and a 78 Cherokee Chief 2 door model. Sadly, sold them off though.

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

If you are looking for camp spots in the Hill Country, try Oxford Ranch.
http://www.rvparking.com/tx/llano/oxford-ranch-campground

and Long's Fish Camp
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Longs-Fishing-Camp/199788910061589

Not overcrowded like the State Parks.
Thanks again for the info on those additional places! That Wagoneer is my Daily Driver right now. My truck is in the shop. I am wanting to get a trailer for camping and such. I did put a rally point on the map for first Monday Meetings at Tycoon Flats. I think this would be a great place to talk about going to PINS. Hopefully F250Ben can make it as well.

I will say that it is easier for me to go do things on the weekdays throughout the year than on the weekends. I am sure that is the same for F250Ben as well.

Lets get the word out about Monday July 2nd and meet up. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Preparing for PINSS now for arrival July 4 and 5. Any advice are destination tips?

Anyone going down?

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

For all of you all in San Antonio today. Here is a reminder about tonight at Tycoon Flats. OB get together at 5:30. Hope to see you there.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Randomly did the hill country tour route this weekend. Very mild, low key dirt roads. Gorgeous scenery, and the Llano river island camping spot was great.

Got to flex out my new dobinsons suspension too. It performed great.

Also, yes I definitely still have street tires on my rig. Honestly, there's just too much lift left in them, and I spend so much time on pavement, I can't justify getting rid of perfectly good tires. I'll upgrade to some better ones when these wear out.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you CAN go out there without mud tires. Not that some aggressive treads wouldn't have helped, but its not necessary. Airing down these tires just enough to get better footprint helped a lot with traction and comfort on rough dirt roads.

Also, that picture of me flexing on the hill. That hill was pretty steep. I watched 3 different bro trucks come down that hill , then struggle to get back up it. They all had lifts and mud tires. None of them were aired down, and none of them knew how to pick a line, or maintain momentum up a steep hill. They all spun their tires the entire way up, barely getting to the top.

I barely spun my street tires the entire way up. Once again, its not about what you drive.

DSCN0074.JPG DSCN0038.JPG DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0045.JPGDSCN0063.JPG

Last edited:

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

20180705_112206.jpg 20180707_124728.jpg Fantastic! I like the pics and your post. In fact, if you mapped your route i would like to borrow it to follow.
Here is a pic of mine on P.I.N.S.S this past week. Just got back last night.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Looks like a nice trip tommys!

Second file is the gpx I used for the trip. Good waypoints and accurate. I did not do this entire thing.

First file is my own track recording. No waypoints and not super clear but that’s what I did. I’m still learning how to use Gaia.

Actually, hold on. I can’t upload those files from my phone so I’ll get them uploaded in a little bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

View attachment 61071 View attachment 61072 Fantastic! I like the pics and your post. In fact, if you mapped your route i would like to borrow it to follow.
Here is a pic of mine on P.I.N.S.S this past week. Just got back last night.
Also, Tommys, what was the condition of the sand on PINS, and how far south did you go? Did yall air down at all, and did you hit any soft spots? We're prob going down there sometime in September. I've never driven on sand before, not sure if investing in some maxtrax would be necessary or not considering we'll be by ourselves, and planning on going all the way to the southern tip. Supposedly not a lot of people and vehicles down that way.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Ben,
Thanks for the maps. I will save those for later uploads on Google Earth.

The condition of sand was normal. White bleach sand is soft, very soft. Be careful not to run into to it too much without 4x4. Slow (10 mph) and steady is best. September will be different from my drive since there will be a couple of storms in between. Terrain may change. Check the local pics or videos on line to see conditions or ask the OB Forum closer to the date you are arriving.

We drove about 15 miles south and my wife wanted to have lunch at big shell beach. We did not pursue the trail any further as we wanted to camp. The further you go south the narrower the beach line becomes. Pay attention to the surf line and the dunes. At one point there was a lot of soft sand. Darker sand is best for safer commute. I did air down but really, it was not too bad. I invested in some off brand recovery trax. The brand is MaxSA and you can find them for under 200. at Amazon or Walmart Online. We got very stuck in the sands at Matagorda Island but these recovery plates saved me a tow, not once but SIX times! Darn that soft sand!

I guess you just have to get out there and do it. But be prepared. Video coming soon on my channel.20180703_183945.jpg

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
What about remote areas though? The ONLY remote, off-road access, OHV friendly areas I know of in Texas, besides off-road parks which aren’t really my thing, is Big Bend and PINS. Honestly, I’m a little leary of PINS, from my research it sounds like a place where rednecks drive on the beach and drink a lot. I’d love to be told otherwise though!
PINS is part of NPS and is heavily regulated. You are probably thinking of South Padre Island which is Spring Break territory for the reasons you listed.

Reactions: Tommys and CCTX50

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Ben,
Thanks for the maps. I will save those for later uploads on Google Earth.

The condition of sand was normal. White bleach sand is soft, very soft. Be careful not to run into to it too much without 4x4. Slow (10 mph) and steady is best. September will be different from my drive since there will be a couple of storms in between. Terrain may change. Check the local pics or videos on line to see conditions or ask the OB Forum closer to the date you are arriving.

We drove about 15 miles south and my wife wanted to have lunch at big shell beach. We did not pursue the trail any further as we wanted to camp. The further you go south the narrower the beach line becomes. Pay attention to the surf line and the dunes. At one point there was a lot of soft sand. Darker sand is best for safer commute. I did air down but really, it was not too bad. I invested in some off brand recovery trax. The brand is MaxSA and you can find them for under 200. at Amazon or Walmart Online. We got very stuck in the sands at Matagorda Island but these recovery plates saved me a tow, not once but SIX times! Darn that soft sand!

I guess you just have to get out there and do it. But be prepared. Video coming soon on my channel.View attachment 61154
Great info thanks man.

Eventually getting traction boards regardless, didn’t really want to spend the money before this trip unless practically useful though. Sounds like they’re a good practical choice for PINS though.

Reactions: Tommys

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Great info thanks man.

Eventually getting traction boards regardless, didn’t really want to spend the money before this trip unless practically useful though. Sounds like they’re a good practical choice for PINS though.

As promised, my minimovie is ready: Exploration: Matagorda Island. I did get stuck in the sand!

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Just to follow up on the conversation about PINSS, it was great!
Despite a mosquito swarm and belly up crabs, there was a beautiful shoreline and great mornings.
Check out the adventure at PINSS