Looking for recommendations on Eastern Sierra routes (off 395)

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Planning to go camping with my relatives this summer along 395, in the Eastern Sierras. I've been to Buttermilk road for climbing and Alabama Hills, but are there any other places that you guys recommend I should check out/trails I should hit up while i'm there? I'll be going solo rig, which is a t4r with a 3" lift and General AT2's.

Does anyone have some insight on Monache Meadows? McMurry Meadows Road + the mine there? Some mine portals near Alabama Hills?

Thanks

NPA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
With Monache being closed. some other great stops off 395 :

Kennedy Meadow- can start at lake isabella and wheel up to kennedy- but most (read ALL) trails were closed North of BlackRock ranger station when I was there last month, and the ranger didnt have a firm date when trails would open back up as their crews only just began working on clearing a few weeks prior.

BLM land just east of mammoth (forget coordinates)- decent camping and mellow routes to get back there (just north of the airport)

West of bishop is coyote flats- super fun and beautiful stargazing at just under 10k elev. there was only 2 snow-drift blocking the trail around 9K (was ther first weekend of June)- one we were able to bypass, the other I'd guess would be clear in a few more weeks.

Mazourka Peak /Papoose flats is next on my list to hit.

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Gear Grinders is working on Sherman Pass Jeep Trail 7/08.
There are lots of fun roads in the Mammoth area. If you turn down Benton Crossing and then veer left down the dirt road. There are a few tubs back there if you know where to look and a few nice spots to camp. I don't know what this winter did to the roads back there.

Influencer II

With Monache being closed. some other great stops off 395 :

Kennedy Meadow- can start at lake isabella and wheel up to kennedy- but most (read ALL) trails were closed North of BlackRock ranger station when I was there last month, and the ranger didnt have a firm date when trails would open back up as their crews only just began working on clearing a few weeks prior.

BLM land just east of mammoth (forget coordinates)- decent camping and mellow routes to get back there (just north of the airport)

West of bishop is coyote flats- super fun and beautiful stargazing at just under 10k elev. there was only 2 snow-drift blocking the trail around 9K (was ther first weekend of June)- one we were able to bypass, the other I'd guess would be clear in a few more weeks.

Mazourka Peak /Papoose flats is next on my list to hit.
Good to know.

I didn't know that coyote flats was west of bishop??? I hit the buttermilks for climbing.

Mazourka Peak, it's been something i've been trying to find information about, but it's been so difficult to find. There are so many threads dated back a few years, so their screenshots of maps are useless. There was one map specifically that showed points of interests/mines, but I can't find it. Would you happen to know where I can find this kind of map, or at least a map of the trail?

Influencer II

Gear Grinders is working on Sherman Pass Jeep Trail 7/08.
There are lots of fun roads in the Mammoth area. If you turn down Benton Crossing and then veer left down the dirt road. There are a few tubs back there if you know where to look and a few nice spots to camp. I don't know what this winter did to the roads back there.
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind while I try and research more areas off 395. But it seems like this winter completely destroyed most trails. If it didn't, the snow melt will... :(

Reward Mine is in the hills just across from Manzanar.
I was thinking about that.. Is there a map of reward mine so I know which turns to take? OR... Are there places big enough in the mine to make a u-turn?

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Supposedly there is enough room to turn around 5 or so vehicles. Roof height is more of a concern for me...

It comes up in google maps 36.7515661,-118.0513667 is were I think the opening is. I went up the canyon at 36.7468261,-118.051742 by mistake last year. There is some cool equipment up there but not enough room to turn around a full size. A short wheel base vehicle would probably get away with it. Because of the issues we had trying to get back down the trail we skipped Reward for another time. There is also a road/trail that follows the Owens river north from the base of the hill and it looks like you could take it all the way to Big Pine.

NPA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Good to know.

I didn't know that coyote flats was west of bishop??? I hit the buttermilks for climbing.

Mazourka Peak, it's been something i've been trying to find information about, but it's been so difficult to find. There are so many threads dated back a few years, so their screenshots of maps are useless. There was one map specifically that showed points of interests/mines, but I can't find it. Would you happen to know where I can find this kind of map, or at least a map of the trail?
Check out https://www.funtreks.com for map books/coordinate downloads for gps.

Reactions: Handsinthehive

Influencer II

Supposedly there is enough room to turn around 5 or so vehicles. Roof height is more of a concern for me...

It comes up in google maps 36.7515661,-118.0513667 is were I think the opening is. I went up the canyon at 36.7468261,-118.051742 by mistake last year. There is some cool equipment up there but not enough room to turn around a full size. A short wheel base vehicle would probably get away with it. Because of the issues we had trying to get back down the trail we skipped Reward for another time. There is also a road/trail that follows the Owens river north from the base of the hill and it looks like you could take it all the way to Big Pine.
Interesting.. I wonder how deep you need to go before hitting that turn around point though..

From what i've read so far, it seems like a jeep with 33"s, 3" lift + roof rack can fit, so I'm not to worried.

Good to know.. Thanks for the coordinates. Maybe i'll hold off reward mine unless someone can give me a definite answer. Last thing I want to do is back up the whole way out.

NPA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Those coordinates are at a park. I have a rough idea of the trail head, but later in the mountains it splits off to many trails. I'm worried about that. haha
look at the adventurportal website- they have a trip report w/ pics and directions for mazourka

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

If going up Mazourka and through some of the other flats, do not go down the trail called the "narrows" in a full size truck. the rest of the trail is tight and twisty through the trees, but doable.