sweetcbb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Caroline
Last Name
Baty-Barr
Hey - new to this group but curious to learn whether any other Outback (2017) owners have recommendations for a drawer storage system for the cargo area. Envisioning low drawers, roller floor would be great for fridge cooler to live on, on top of the drawers... Thanks!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I looked for this kind of thing for a really long time. I have never found anything commercially available. There are a lot of people who have removed their backseat and built an entire platform back there. If you are like me and don't want to remove your backseat you have even less options. Unless you have access to a CNC machine and can fabricate a drawer system for just the rear you will end up eating up a lot of valuable space in a small vehicle with the wood thickness needed to build your own. I ended up using a modular portable toolbox system I got from Home Depot to carry my gear. I have several of the Husky Connect boxes that allowed me to get organized and compact my gear down much better. This is part of the stuff but it is interchangeable. I use a big one with the wheels to store my sleeping stuff with a smaller one with a lot of compartments to store campsite items like lights and all the other bits and pieces. Then I three of the small height connected that contain my stove, cookware, food, utensils, etc. All of that stuff only takes up a little over half of my trunk space. I don't have a fridge yet but I have plenty of room left over. Below is a picture of what the loadout looks like. Even with the Husky boxes I have plenty of room left for my cooler, water tank and chair and I didn't have to sacrifice my backseat. Trail tools, jack, & recovery gear I keep in a mil-spec Pelican case in my roof basket along with my Gazelle and traction boards. Doing it this way means that if I need something while on the trail I don't have to start pulling stuff out of the trunk. The thing I like best about doing it this way is it makes it very easy for one person to load or unload between trips so you still have full use of the entire vehicle for everyday use. I can also stack all of my gear in a fairly small space.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy trails.

121680032_10100856514276097_2197231001006794969_n.jpg

121677908_10100856514286077_1713580648635235020_n.jpg

Last edited:

sweetcbb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Caroline
Last Name
Baty-Barr
Thank you for sharing! Really! We aren’t interested in removing back seat either. We’ll investigate your recommendations (grateful) to just contain on the road supplies. Happy trails to you as well. PS: I grew up in NC, my grandparents lived in Gastonia, NC and my aunt and uncle in Gaffney, SC. Loving Colorado these days.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC