Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
While overlanding and backpacking I usually just take Starbucks Via instant coffee. Boil water, dump single serving into cup, done. I like the simplicity of it, but not all the trash it produces. I'm looking for an instant coffee that comes in a larger container. Due to my coffee snobbery I won't even consider Folgers or Taster's Choice or their ilk. I want good instant coffee. I'd buy a can of Via if it was sold that way, but all I've been able to find are the single serving sizes.

So, have you found a good, bulk instant coffee?

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Look into Alpine Start coffee. I listened to a podcast with the owner and it sounded great. It has really good reviews.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Jacobs Cronat Gold. Amazon carries it. It is my go-to for instant coffee. By far the best I've ever tasted.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

When I used to spend a lot of time overseas, you find that instant coffee is very common in some places (UK/EU, New Zealand, etc.) and doesn't have the "stigma" it does in the US. I wish I remembered brands, but often it was actually pretty good. I might give the Alpine Start a try.

EDIT: I recognize the packaging of the Jacobs Kronung... that's def one I saw overeas a lot and was pretty good. Also, for the OP, you can find lots of Starbucks instant coffee in bulk on Amazon: Amazon.com : starbucks instant coffee Personally I've never really liked Starbucks too much, it's often burned/bitter to me, but if you want it, it's out there:
-TJ

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I dont knowwwww...you're looking for instant AND good at the same time, and I'm not quite sure that exists.

Generally, I percolate, or fresh grind and brew. Obviously on the road (off the road) that can be problematic. My normalcoffee preference is Cafe Bustelo. Even the instant variety is good. Any instant coffee tastes better making it with hot milk, or almond milk if you are lactose averse.

Reactions: rtexpeditions

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I drink roughly a pot of crap coffee every day at work, so the available "gourmet" instant coffees are fantastic in comparison, and I have no qualms with drinking them while camping. At home, I grind and brew, but nothing to fancy, and after a day of shitty Folgers it's like having a dessert.

Also, I prefer oat milk in my coffee over other alternatives. For me, almond and coconut milk are too strong of flavors and are too noticeable in my coffee. If I want almond or coconut flavored coffee they're great, but if not they don't work for me. Oat milk, on the other hand, creams the coffee without altering its flavor much. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go.

Reactions: Road

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Look into Alpine Start coffee. I listened to a podcast with the owner and it sounded great. It has really good reviews.
I see Sierra Trading has a couple of the Alpine Start coffees on sale-not sure if the price is something special or if shipping kills the bargain but if it works and you want to try it here is the link-

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S

This is the best instant coffee that doesn't break the bank. There are two others I find better but are over $3 per serving.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I drink roughly a pot of crap coffee every day at work, so the available "gourmet" instant coffees are fantastic in comparison, and I have no qualms with drinking them while camping. At home, I grind and brew, but nothing to fancy, and after a day of shitty Folgers it's like having a dessert.

Also, I prefer oat milk in my coffee over other alternatives. For me, almond and coconut milk are too strong of flavors and are too noticeable in my coffee. If I want almond or coconut flavored coffee they're great, but if not they don't work for me. Oat milk, on the other hand, creams the coffee without altering its flavor much. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go.
Tried the oat milk route. Personally I care for that the least. Almond is OK, and I understand that this options are supposedly better for me. But given my druthers, I prefer a little milk in fresh ground, or a decent instant made only with milk

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
When I used to spend a lot of time overseas, you find that instant coffee is very common in some places (UK/EU, New Zealand, etc.) and doesn't have the "stigma" it does in the US. I wish I remembered brands, but often it was actually pretty good. I might give the Alpine Start a try.

EDIT: I recognize the packaging of the Jacobs Kronung... that's def one I saw overeas a lot and was pretty good. Also, for the OP, you can find lots of Starbucks instant coffee in bulk on Amazon: Amazon.com : starbucks instant coffee Personally I've never really liked Starbucks too much, it's often burned/bitter to me, but if you want it, it's out there:
-TJ
Well, I swear I've searched all over the interwebs, but this is exactly what I have been trying to find. Thanks!

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
While overlanding and backpacking I usually just take Starbucks Via instant coffee. Boil water, dump single serving into cup, done. I like the simplicity of it, but not all the trash it produces. I'm looking for an instant coffee that comes in a larger container. Due to my coffee snobbery I won't even consider Folgers or Taster's Choice or their ilk. I want good instant coffee. I'd buy a can of Via if it was sold that way, but all I've been able to find are the single serving sizes.

So, have you found a good, bulk instant coffee?
You say you’re a coffee snob and drink Starbucks??? Puleese!
All kidding aside consider trying out Black Rifle instant coffee. Much better flavor..

I use this when I don’t have time to brew their Beyond Black coffee while overlanding.. Gets the morning off to a good start.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
You say you’re a coffee snob and drink Starbucks??? Puleese!
All kidding aside consider trying out Black Rifle instant coffee. Much better flavor..

I use this when I don’t have time to brew their Beyond Black coffee while overlanding.. Gets the morning off to a good start.
Sweet! I am familiar with BRCC's ground coffee, but didn't know they did instant.

Except that this has exactly the same problem as the Starbucks Via: too much single serving trash.

Reactions: smlobx

anytime

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Still
Try bullet coffee instead. Nespresso is a bit pricey but i's like getting it on a coffee shop.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Does oat milk last appreciably longer than cow's milk before spoiling? It's not too watery tasting? Usually the only thing I get milk for when adventuring is coffee. I like to make a much stronger coffee sometimes when camping, then cut it almost 50/50 with milk, European Café au Lait style, especially if it's a dark roast French style Chicory type coffee.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Does oat milk last appreciably longer than cow's milk before spoiling? It's not too watery tasting? Usually the only thing I get milk for when adventuring is coffee. I like to make a much stronger coffee sometimes when camping, then cut it almost 50/50 with milk, European Café au Lait style, especially if it's a dark roast French style Chicory type coffee.
Last year on a 3 month overlanding trip we discovered these protein milk containers in a case. They can remain unrefrigerated for months until opened and the size of the containers makes them easy to keep a couple in the fridge if you like. You can get them at Sam’s Club or Costco.

https://www.costco.com/premier-30g-protein-shakes-11-fl.-oz.,-18-pack.product.100308724.html

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Last year on a 3 month overlanding trip we discovered these protein milk containers in a case. They can remain unrefrigerated for months until opened and the size of the containers makes them easy to keep a couple in the fridge if you like. You can get them at Sam’s Club or Costco.

https://www.costco.com/premier-30g-protein-shakes-11-fl.-oz.,-18-pack.product.100308724.html
Yeah, my kid gets those and I've had them in the past. I appreciate the suggestion.

If they made unflavored ones; just a straight "milk," that could be perfect, especially as protein-packed as they are and the fact that they are shelf-stable for so long.