Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
All packed up and almost out the door for our trip. We are going on search of dinosaurs. Plane is to spend the night in an iconic Southwest location North of Phoenix.

Weeks of getting the new rig ready will finally be tested. Rock sliders, roof rack, custom cargo net, ham radio. The focus of the last several weekend.

We'll update as we can.

Attachments

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Made it to Monument Valley. What an epic place this is. Camping in one of the few places one can right now. Most of the Navajo Reservation is still shut down because of COVID.

The wind was howling on the way up but calmed down just before dark and it looks to be a nice night.

It has been years sense I've been up this way. This time sharing the experience with my 8-Year old. We were going to stop at the Dinosaur tracks just outside of Tuba City but she was asleep and we were running behind.

Heading North next.

Attachments

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
People ask me why I get up so early. I guess I am just one of those gosh darn morning people.

View from our tent this morning.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
All packed up and almost out the door for our trip. We are going on search of dinosaurs. Plane is to spend the night in an iconic Southwest location North of Phoenix.
very cool. the wife and i were up there a couple years ago and loved the superstition mountains and found a great camp ground on a lake around an hour or so north of phoenix...canyon lake or apache lake, forgot which one. i saw a lot of stuff for the lost dutchman gold mine and some dinosaur stuff as well. a very interesting area

Last edited:
Reactions: KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
very cool. the wife and i were up there a couple years ago and loved the superstition mountains and found a great camp ground on a lake around an hour or so north of phoenix...canyon lake or apache lake, forgot which one. i saw a lot of stuff for the lost dutchman gold mine and some dinosaur stuff as well. a very interesting area

That's cool. I haven't seen this before. We'll have to check this out later in the summer. Riding the Dinosaur Train with my daughter as long as I can. It has been a nice shift from unicorns and fairies.

Reactions: grubworm

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
We did some good driving yesterday. Went from Monument Valley up to the Green River north of Moab. This is some spiracular country. Every corner or crest of the hill opens up a new and unique landscape. Every vista is deserving of it's own canvas.

I had not done the drive from Mexican Hat to Moab before. While I have been up the area years ago this was my first time actually going through Moab.

With such spiracular topography I can see how they have marketed themselves into a Mecca for off road and mountain biking enthusiast.

We got town around lunch time on Memorial day and let's just say there were a lot of Jeeps and some good looking overlanding rigs. We had decided we'd get lunch in Moab. When we got there the what I would assume are the regular places were packed. Even before COVID was a thing I would have passed them buy. Lisa found us a great Mediterranean restaurant that seams to be a locals kind of place. Food was awesome and people were friendly.

We then headed North as again. We had thought we would do a quick run around Arches National Park but there was quite the line at the entrance and we still had some miles to cover. It sounds like they are limiting the number of people in the park right now because of COVID. This could be a good thing in terms of crowds at the trail heads and viewing areas.

We did get to find some dinosaur tracks further up the road. The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) has done a great job preserving these geological treasurer and making them accessible.

And here we are now in the shadows of the Rockies where there is still a bit of snow on the peaks. Should make it to Dinosaurs National Monument today. What adventures awaiting between here and there? We'll let you know once find them.

*** Here are a few pictures. Took way to many to share them all.

Attachments

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
We've been offline for a couple of days because we've been in places without any cell or internet. These places are getting harder and harder to find but that is kind of the point of traveling in the back country.

** Another long post**

Tuesday we back tracked with the intention of spending a few hours in Arches befor heading north again. On the way we pulled off the main road to go looking for some more dinosaur tracks. With a little hiking we came across actual dinosaur bones. Two different animals in the same wash. This was a worth while side trip.

Not only did we get to see some country that one does'nt get to see from the highway, I got to do a little more off-roading in the Moab area. On a trip like this that is all about big milage days, getting to play in sandy washes and bounce down a dusty track is a bonus. This why we took the Hummer and not the Prius.

From there we headed to Arches. When we got there the gate was closed because they were at capacity. A hand written sign said to come back in 3 to 5 hours…. Yea, with a board 8-year old in the back seat that wouldn't work.

We headed out north again and decided to check out a tourist trap we saw on the way that had a couple of big dinosaurs out by the road. This was a great call by Lisa. It is the Moab Giants. It is a private museum dedicated to the dinosaur found in the Moab region. They also had some specimens from Colorado and New Mexico. There is little walk set up that takes you through the Jerrasic and Cretaceous periods and brings you up close to some of the Stars of these periods. No Creation Myth thought here. They are all about the science.

After that and some lunch we turned north again. Our destination was 104 miles up the Green River from where we were the night before. That is as the crow flies. For us on 4 wheels it was more like 204 miles. We swung over into Colorado and crossed over the Douglas Pass. Great little road through the Rockies. From there it was an easy run down the hill into Dinosaur National Monument. Where we had reserved a camp site along the Green River.

No boon docking in the National Parks. The camp host let us relocate to a more secluded site where we set up the tent under the shade of a huge Cotton Wood tree. The neighbors were quite. The toilet were close. Having access to a flushing toilet and running water was a nice surprise. Being from Arizona having a campfire bin June was fun. A simple camp meal and roasting marshmallows while looking at the start sky was a great way to finish out the day.

I'll tell you more about tomorrow in Another post. Here are some pictures form the days travel.

Attachments

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Finally back into civilization so I can do some update. I am a few days behind but will update by the day in different post.

After weeks and several lost weekend of getting the Hummer ready, planning routes and itineraries and driving hundreds of miles through some gorgeous Southwest landscapes and vistas we finally made it. Dinosaur National Monument.

Makayla is way into Dinosaurs right now so we thought we would ride that train for what it was worth. We planned a family vacation Dinosaur.

I remember coming here as a kid and Lisa and I came here on one of our grad adventures years ago. It seams to be a lesser known National Monument. Better known to the river rafting community than most. The Green River is a predominant feature of the area.

Yesterday was a low mileage day but full of exploration and discovery.

Started out waking up early to watch the sun come up over the mountain. Listen to Canada Geese flying around the canyon and wild Turkeys goblin bown by the river. The camp site has a ground squirrel mafia that keep coming up and demanding there share of our breakfast. One tried talking the oatmeal right out of the bad I was holding.

We hung around camp for a while before heading off to our schedule time to visit the Quarry.

The Quarry is the crown jewel of the Monument. It is a big rockface full several different specimens. This place was preserved for all to see at a time when bones were harvested from sites like these to be sent to museum back east and private collection around the world. One can walk right up and touch actual dinosaur bones on the rock where the animal came to rest 150 Million years ago.

While there is still plenty of paleontology work being done in the park, there is so much more this place offers. We went and saw petroglyphs from the ancient peoples of this land. We also visited homestead of Josie Bassett.

Josie Bassett lead a remarkable life by her self on the homestead until she was 90. This is a remote area by today standards. She did this when there was no Easley traveled gravel road maintained by the national Park service. No electricity. No internet. Not even a phone. This site has always stuck with me since Lisa and I visited years ago. Maybe it's the babble of the water coming up out of the well and running down the short trough into the creek she built to feed the small pond she built.

I had hopped to make it over to Echo Canyon. I have wanted to check out the campground there and see Steamboat rock and the confluence of the Yampa and green Rivers. But the day slipped away so that will have to be another trip.

We headed into Vernal, UT to take a break from camping and get some Italian food. It was a great day and one I hope Makayla will look back on with good memories.

Attachments

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Now that we had done what we had set out to do what's next? Let's go fishing!

We got up and going. What I take to be a good sign to the world getting back to normal is that we stayed at a hotel that had a breakfast. While some of it was managed and served by staff they did have the make your own waffles. So of course I did.

The day was a long driving day. Our goal was Little Reservoir that is almost due east of Beaver, UT in the Fish Lake National Forest. This was a 318 mile drive over several high rocky mountain passes. The Hummer is does great off-road but it is not geared for the high speed runs up the hills like this so it felt like it was slow going but we made good time anyhow.

Lisa and I had stayed here years back and I had a good time fly fishing and remember it as a quit little spot to relsx for a bit. Last time we were here we are trout they night that I had cought less than an hour before.

By mid afternoon we made it there and we're lucky to get one of the 8 sites in this camp ground. And it was one of the three that are right next to the lake. Camp got set up with plenty of time to do some fishing and playing around. The Fish were not biting. But it was good to get a line in water.

We met the camp host. She told us that she was from there. Her family was 6 generations in Beaver. She was literally born up on this lake when her Mom unexpectedly went into labor while up there. Crazy!

A simple camp meal of hamburgers and chips then it was time to build our last campfire of the trip and make some s'mores. Makayla is getting good at roasting the perfect marshmallow. Golden brown and gushy on the inside.

Then to bed. The wind came up over night as it often does in these high mountain areas. We were fairly sheltered by some trees but it was the coldest night of the trip.

As usual I was up with the sun. Everyone one else snug in there sleeping bags I decided to go try the fishing again.

There was a hatch on when I got there. Look like may flys or maybe some sort of midge. I had brought conventional road and reals assuming Makayla wanted to fish. I'm the end she was happy to just play around and explore. I was regretting not bringing my fly rod which is my preferred method of fishing.

I had a few hit or bumps with the little lure I was using but the fish were into the hats and jumping all over. As the sun started to come up over the ridge the hatch slowed down then it was one. I landed 5 nice pan size Rainbows. I don't think any of these fish were hatchery fishing. They were all good fighters and in beautiful shape. No chewed up fins and the colors were spectacular. I didn't really get many pictures because I was by myself and I didn't want to torture the fish any longer than necessary just to take a picture.

Makayla wandered down. I almost got her to get her rod and join me but hunger took over so we went back to camp.

I usually start my day with coffee but today it was a good round of fishing then coffee then breakfast. We spent some time just hanging around camp the loaded up to head out to are final destination.

Another long days drive to Las Vegas for the night then heading home to AZ.

Attachments

Reactions: DaleRF and grubworm

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Made it to Monument Valley. What an epic place this is. Camping in one of the few places one can right now. Most of the Navajo Reservation is still shut down because of COVID.

The wind was howling on the way up but calmed down just before dark and it looks to be a nice night.

It has been years sense I've been up this way. This time sharing the experience with my 8-Year old. We were going to stop at the Dinosaur tracks just outside of Tuba City but she was asleep and we were running behind.

Heading North next.
Excellent!
Monument Valley is such an Epic place!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Now that we had done what we had set out to do what's next? Let's go fishing!

We got up and going. What I take to be a good sign to the world getting back to normal is that we stayed at a hotel that had a breakfast. While some of it was managed and served by staff they did have the make your own waffles. So of course I did.

The day was a long driving day. Our goal was Little Reservoir that is almost due east of Beaver, UT in the Fish Lake National Forest. This was a 318 mile drive over several high rocky mountain passes. The Hummer is does great off-road but it is not geared for the high speed runs up the hills like this so it felt like it was slow going but we made good time anyhow.

Lisa and I had stayed here years back and I had a good time fly fishing and remember it as a quit little spot to relsx for a bit. Last time we were here we are trout they night that I had cought less than an hour before.

By mid afternoon we made it there and we're lucky to get one of the 8 sites in this camp ground. And it was one of the three that are right next to the lake. Camp got set up with plenty of time to do some fishing and playing around. The Fish were not biting. But it was good to get a line in water.

We met the camp host. She told us that she was from there. Her family was 6 generations in Beaver. She was literally born up on this lake when her Mom unexpectedly went into labor while up there. Crazy!

A simple camp meal of hamburgers and chips then it was time to build our last campfire of the trip and make some s'mores. Makayla is getting good at roasting the perfect marshmallow. Golden brown and gushy on the inside.

Then to bed. The wind came up over night as it often does in these high mountain areas. We were fairly sheltered by some trees but it was the coldest night of the trip.

As usual I was up with the sun. Everyone one else snug in there sleeping bags I decided to go try the fishing again.

There was a hatch on when I got there. Look like may flys or maybe some sort of midge. I had brought conventional road and reals assuming Makayla wanted to fish. I'm the end she was happy to just play around and explore. I was regretting not bringing my fly rod which is my preferred method of fishing.

I had a few hit or bumps with the little lure I was using but the fish were into the hats and jumping all over. As the sun started to come up over the ridge the hatch slowed down then it was one. I landed 5 nice pan size Rainbows. I don't think any of these fish were hatchery fishing. They were all good fighters and in beautiful shape. No chewed up fins and the colors were spectacular. I didn't really get many pictures because I was by myself and I didn't want to torture the fish any longer than necessary just to take a picture.

Makayla wandered down. I almost got her to get her rod and join me but hunger took over so we went back to camp.

I usually start my day with coffee but today it was a good round of fishing then coffee then breakfast. We spent some time just hanging around camp the loaded up to head out to are final destination.

Another long days drive to Las Vegas for the night then heading home to AZ.
What an excellent location!
Thanks for sharing!