Looking for British Columbia-Yukon-Alaska overlanding route.

• HTML tutorial

chabre

Rank I

Contributor III

Mexico City, CDMX, México
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Chabre
Hello.
I am Jonathan, from Mexico.
Last year we did part of the TAT with a Tundra and a Landcruiser.

Our next trip is going to be all the way up to Alaska.
I already have the BDR routes for the USA part, but I have almost nothing for British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska.

So, any ideas, routes, GPX, or where to look that you can help me please.

Jonathan
tundralandcruiser.jpg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The AlCan highway is what most folks take to get up to Alaska from BC. It is mostly paved but rugged and has the best scenery that I have experienced. If you can, consider heading through Jasper/Banff in Alberta on your way in or out - phenomenal. The AlCan is rugged and very remote in places, make sure to have your fuel, etc., stops planned in advance as there is not much in the way of help along the way. Also you may encounter many large wild animals along the way, the kind of animals that you do not want to approach.

Its been a number of years since I have done the AlCan (on a motorcycle) but I'd be happy to help answer questions. The area is remote and wet enough that sticking to the "paved" roads will be an adventure; going offroad could be extremely difficult. I'm not sure that there are "offroad" routes that skip the AlCan, possibly some Canadians on the forums will have answers for those questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabre

chabre

Rank I

Contributor III

Mexico City, CDMX, México
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Chabre
The AlCan highway is what most folks take to get up to Alaska from BC. It is mostly paved but rugged and has the best scenery that I have experienced. If you can, consider heading through Jasper/Banff in Alberta on your way in or out - phenomenal. The AlCan is rugged and very remote in places, make sure to have your fuel, etc., stops planned in advance as there is not much in the way of help along the way. Also you may encounter many large wild animals along the way, the kind of animals that you do not want to approach.

Its been a number of years since I have done the AlCan (on a motorcycle) but I'd be happy to help answer questions. The area is remote and wet enough that sticking to the "paved" roads will be an adventure; going offroad could be extremely difficult. I'm not sure that there are "offroad" routes that skip the AlCan, possibly some Canadians on the forums will have answers for those questions.
Thanks. Yes Ive seen the alcan highway and it looks phenomenal but I am looking for more forest or back roads. Maybe going north on forest roads and on the way back south on the alcan highway. Hopefully there are some options.

Reactions: Ubiety

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
We spent several weeks traveling around BC and Alberta several years ago. Beautiful places. We found MapArt atlases for both provinces that were very helpful in planning our route, They show both paved and forest roads.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hello.

I already have the BDR routes for the USA part, but I have almost nothing for British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska.

Jonathan
View attachment 229906
Get the book "The Milepost". It will tell you everything you need to know to plan your trip. The 2022 issue is out now.

Jerome1500

Rank II

Contributor III

Burnaby, Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Weisenfelder
Member #

Hello.

Jonathan
View attachment 229906
I made the trip in June 2020 during lockdown. We went from Vancouver to Anchorage in about five days and took the Cassier Highway. It is a beautiful drive and more interesting (imo)and there were two days that we only saw one car the entire time. During the trip we counted 35 bears and a lot of other wildlife. You will definitely enjoy the trip.

You should get the book Milepost (others mentioned) that shows the route and details. You should also get the app BC Backroads or BCBR that shows all of the fire service roads and a lot of other detail that you might need for wild camping. I strongly recommend you prepare for mosquitoes. Also when you see gas top up there are long stretches of no gas and some of the villages close early. Especially through Yukon. When we went you were not allowed as a visitor to stay in any hotels in no overnighting anywhere through the entire Yukon so we had to drive straight through.

If you are staying at provincial parks you will need to make reservations. And you can check the status of the rec sites online as well.

I hope that helps