Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Kearney
Member #

I have a 2017 4runner with a Baja rack, and am looking to install an awning on the rack. Does anybody have a recommendation on which awning would work best for this set up. Also, I am wondering if it is typically installed on the driver's side or passenger side. Thanks.

jwsparlin2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denton, Tx
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Sparlin
Member #

I went with the smallest ARB awning and love it but since your vehicle is bigger than mine you might want to get a lager one. You will have to research and get specific mounting hardware for the Baja rack that you are using but that should be fairly easy to find. I do know that a lot of Overlanders just fabricate their own mounting system so if you have the ways and means to do that, have at it! I have noticed that most people mount it on the drivers side and I did the same, but I guess it really boils down to personal preference. Hope this info helps.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

A lot of Aussies mount their awning on the left side as that's the passenger side. Seems like a lot of Americans just follow their lead and put it on the left, too, irregardless of driver or passenger side. Doesn't always make sense to do so, though.

Figure out which side of the vehicle you will be getting in and out of most when camping with the awning out, and if you have or are planning on a RTT, which side of the vehicle you want the ladder on. Answering both those questions will help determine on which side the awning should be.

I'm putting my BunduEl on the passenger side of my van as that's where my side doors are and is the side I'll use most often when stopped or camping. It will also make it possible for me to park side to side with my trailer and it's BunduAwn three-sided awning and have complete coverage from my side barn doors to the galley on the trailer. You can see pics of the three-sided awning on my trailer in my post for camp photos: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/camp-photos.276/page-68#post-188245

Additionally, I'd think most people would want to put the awning on their passenger side so if you are parked at a curb somewhere quick for lunch or repairs, etc and want the awning out, you're not opening it into the street, but over the curb.

The Bundutec awnings come in two lengths, 8' and 9'6". A lot of guys get the 8' three-sided (I have the 8' on my trailer) for Land Rovers etc. Figure out how long your rack is. Most awning brackets should go in from the end of the awning no more than 15-18" if it wraps one or both ends, as the pivot point is at the end of the length and it's important it have sufficient support to open properly and last a long time.

If you're going for a straight awning, nowhere near as much stuff to consider. There's a ton of options out there for straight awnings and a lot of options for 270 awnings, too. Take your time and consider all the features, options, and construction, etc and the one that will work best for you will emerge.

One of the great things about the Bundutec awnings from South America is that they are aluminized on top, to reflect summer sun. Made a HUGE difference in a long trip I just finished. Here's the Bundutec awning page: http://bundutecusa.com/awnings/ Rory and Jenn @BundutecUSA (instagram username. Though they're here on OB, not active here yet) are great to work with. I've been to their facility in Raymond, Iowa a couple times now picking up stuff.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

The side you install the awning doesn't matter too much. It's where you park relative to the sun that matters. If you're base camping, you'll be moving chairs around following the shade as the sun moves across the sky. That is, unless you really pay attention to the sun's arc and position yourself to keep the shade in a constant place and the sun travels directly overhead. I did that in Nevada and with the ground in constant shade, it was about 10* cooler thoughout the day. Otherwise you're just moving to hot ground where the sun has been beating down in the same spot all day.

A few minutes ago I was chatting with a friend who has a Westy and is considering a longer awning (8' instead of 6'). For vehicles like that with a sliding door, it makes sense to have the awning over the door. On my rack, the driver's side has a welded mount for the Maxtrax. The other side has a long shovel mounted with Quick Fists, and that's where the awning would have to go.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We like our 2.5meter TJM on the passenger side - but really love the Alucab Shadow 270 on the drivers side!

We have a 99 F250 so weight is not and issue - but both are rather light.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm going to try my own take at building one. There are plenty of write ups and it costs as much as you want it to. If it doesn't work out then you are not out a whole lot of money and if it does work you saved quite a bit.
Cool, be sure to post back with what you end up doing. Lots of great ways to create your own awning.

Enthusiast III

Ireland
I have a Bunduawn but I put it on the righ hand side of the vehicle. It made more sense because of the way the awning wraps around. It means it fully covers the rear door table when the door is open. The other way around and the door would stick out.

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Some good advice above. I'd recommend passenger mount if no RTT concerns. Rear mount I think is best but you're limited to size based on vehicle esthetic.

I've fiddled with several awnings on the Land Cruiser and we've gone non-fixed awning. We live out of the rear of the LC so a rear deploying awning made sense for us. I use 2 bungie cords, two REI awning poles, REI tarp, a bit of glo-in-the-dark paracord and some stakes. This takes about the same amount of time as a fixed mount awning to deploy. It can be moved to the side of the vehicle as well. The tarp is 7x9 feet. I have a second tarp and pole set so I can take it another 9 feet back if I'm feeling frisky.

A single tarp setup is about $150 all in or double tarp (4 poles two tarps and misc stakes) is about $278... those are expensive REI tarps. You could do it for about $100 with different tarps/poles.

Tarps = https://www.rei.com/product/842320/outdoor-products-coated-tarp $47ea
Poles = https://www.rei.com/product/845322/rei-co-op-adjustable-tarp-pole-single $35 ea (x2)
Paracord = Amazon item# B01LZVDZ5R $14 100ft
Bungie Cords = https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-36-in-Standard-Bungee-Cord-JB36OPB/206850894 $2 ea (x2)
Stakes = https://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake $3ea (x4)
OR SUPER DUPER Stakes
Screw Stakes = Amazon item# B01B28QS8G $27 4pk

Last edited:

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

What is that like in the wind RobRed? Is it still steady enough?
It's actually quite steady. The key (same as a mounted awning) is tension on the poles. We've run this is some pretty stormy weather on the Mojave Road as well as Alabama Hills gusts and it's not come down. I suppose the right set of circumstances and it's a goner, but so is your hard mounted version.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out a hard mounted awning but there are alternatives.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Some good advice above. I'd recommend passenger mount if no RTT concerns. Rear mount I think is best but you're limited to size based on vehicle esthetic.

I've fiddled with several awnings on the Land Cruiser and we've gone non-fixed awning.
Here's another angle:
Another Shot underneath the "awning"
That is really slick, @RobRed; simple, effective, and good looking to boot. I like the way you do your gear, inside and out, and have watched your vids on ipad and radio mounts, etc. Clean work.

Doesn't appear to be, but have you had any probs with grommets pulling out on your tarp like others have expressed in the REI review comments?

Another awning, very similar to RobRed's, that I picked up last month to experiment with as far as flexibility and diff arrangements is the Roadhouse Tarp from Slumberjack. It goes from around $110.00 on Amazon to $120 on the Slumberjack site, and comes with large tarp, poles, line, and stakes.

A pic from their site, as I haven't had it out yet (their promo vid at the bottom of this post):

slumberjack-roadhouse.jpg

Like RobRed's, it can be configured a few different ways and can be set up off the side, or rear, or be free-standing, depending on need. I first saw it on a bushcraft site where the guy had it configured completely different than the three ways shown on Slumberjack. Looked good.

Another advantage of a tarp like RobRed's or the Roadhouse tarp, and most single side-attached awnings for that matter, is that you can lower the poles on the outside edge and have your awning slope way down if you need for greater shading or to block more wind, or even eliminate the poles and stake the outside edge to the ground.

Can't do that with the awnings that fold out on arms like mine, though I do have full sides now I can velcro to my awnings edge that I can hang straight down or stretch out like these.

Movable tarp awnings like Rob's design are certainly more flexible than a permanently attached awning, if that is something you need to consider, @northern nomad .

Last edited:

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Doesn't appear to be, but have you had any probs with grommets pulling out on your tarp like others have expressed in the REI review comments?
Thank you for the nice comments on the setup.

I'd say that the grommets are stressed but nothing has come apart or looks to be imminent failure. I've not measured the force of the home depot bungie cords but they seem to have enough give to not tear the grommets... yet :-) Having said this I'll likely reinforce the grommets for this season to make sure it's not a problem.

Nice find on the Slumberjack!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I'm going to try my own take at building one. There are plenty of write ups and it costs as much as you want it to. If it doesn't work out then you are not out a whole lot of money and if it does work you saved quite a bit.
I'm right there with you @tsteb112. I've been researching and hunting for options on the interweb. I know it's what the market can bare as to price but at some point you have to believe you can do it for much less. At this point I'm designing out what I'd like and use some of the left over steel tubing I used in the past for my sleeping platform.

Good luck with your build. Look forward to the build thread. :sunglasses: