Looking for Aluminum storage boxes for the top of my jeep

• HTML tutorial

Jacob_S

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Alu-box are the only ones I have actually seen. If aluminum wasn't a requirement then pelican cases are good but for the price difference, I would do the aluminum.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Yeah i looked at pelican as well. I was going to rig it so the Aluminum Box will be bolted down to my Roof rack in front of my RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

They are definitely pricey but I ran a Pelican case bolted to my roof rack for about 5 years and never got a sign of water or dust inside it.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I'll check out the sizes, I need something to fit in a L54"x W 24"x 10-15 " tall space in front of my Tent

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I figured aluminum would hold up to the elements and would be easy to clean with a scotch bright sponge .
Did the pelican fade ?

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It did fade on the top somewhat which of course I could rarely see because it was up the rack. A big reason I went with the Pelican was size. I need something that would fit on the rack but didn't want it too tall. The Pelican was the best case I could find that fit my requirements. With the dimensions you mentioned you will have a much larger variety of cases to look at both aluminum and otherwise. Keep us posted on what you find.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Here are a couple of shots of the Pelican on my Gobi rack.

IMG_1548.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

I actually like the look of that case, what is the name and dimensions ? And price I may go with that [emoji16]

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It worked great for carrying tools, spare parts and recovery gear. Only reason I am no longer using it is to move weight lower off the rack. Since it is no longer my DD having the full cargo area available was no longer a concern so I built a drawer system to move everything to.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

They aren't cheap that's for sure but you aren't going to find any built better. I could be wrong as it's been a while but with some shopping around I believe I got if for about $225 shipped. To mount it to my rack I drilled a hole in the bottom in each corner. On both the inside and the outside of the case I used rubber gasket material and fender washers. This was the only place I was ever concerned about water getting in and was never an issue.