• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I'd probably look at a Warn block. Thus have some heavy rated ones. I have a couple of smittybilt and they work ok but you have to be careful the wire doesn't get pinched in the side of the block. And since you run synthetic line I would look and see if you can get one of those aluminum ones that just spin around a soft shackle to save the weight and space ( not that's that may be an issue with a power wagon)

Reactions: Motomikeca

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I'd probably look at a Warn block. Thus have some heavy rated ones. I have a couple of smittybilt and they work ok but you have to be careful the wire doesn't get pinched in the side of the block. And since you run synthetic line I would look and see if you can get one of those aluminum ones that just spin around a soft shackle to save the weight and space ( not that's that may be an issue with a power wagon)
Thank you for you input, I was leaning towards the warn.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Something rated for twice as much as your winch, with the biggest sheave you can stand, and correct for the type of rope you are using.

The recovery rings work ok, but there is much friction between the soft shackle and the bearing surface of the ring. I have a Factor 55 ring and it is very nice. I also have a 20 ton McKissick block and I can tell you a roller block just works much more smoothly. I don't however use the McKissick with synthetic rope

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Something rated for twice as much as your winch, with the biggest sheave you can stand, and correct for the type of rope you are using.

The recovery rings work ok, but there is much friction between the soft shackle and the bearing surface of the ring. I have a Factor 55 ring and it is very nice. I also have a 20 ton McKissick block and I can tell you a roller block just works much more smoothly. I don't however use the McKissick with synthetic rope

Thank you for the information, I will look into those options.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've been using Gear America products, they offer several snatch blocks 9T and up. You have a bit more friction loose with the Rings, but they are quick and easy, I use them in double line pulls that aren't really heavy like a full size buried to the frame in mud.

Reactions: Motomikeca

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I've been using Gear America products, they offer several snatch blocks 9T and up. You have a bit more friction loose with the Rings, but they are quick and easy, I use them in double line pulls that aren't really heavy like a full size buried to the frame in mud.

I like those and a few people have recommend them, I’m intrigued by the rings especially the factor 55. I’m probably just going to end up buying both block and ring. Thank you for your input.