Launch Member

Contributor III

Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

I have decided to make the switch to a full-size rig, specifically an '01 Sierra. Is there any advice people can give me on full-size over landing? What upgrades should I do first? Also, ARB doesn't really have accessories for GM/Chevy, what are people putting on their rigs as far as protection? (Bumpers, rock sliders, etc.)

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

Blue lake off road made my rear bumper/tire carrier. Only place I found that will make stuff for older gm/chevy stuff that is direct bolt on

The skid plate and belly armor can be made yourself pretty easily.

Sliders I think I'll have to make myself.

95 chevy suburban

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Are you going 4 wheeling or exploring and overlanding/camping? I've wanted bumpers, sliders and a winch on every one of my vehicles but never had them on any. If you're building a rock buggy/trail rig then go nuts but if you are realistic with your expectations you will realize what you do and don't need.

Get good tires for sure, a winch never hurts but again, can be gone without. Make sure your vehicle is reliable. A stuck truck is easier to recover than a broken truck...

I have an '04 2500 suburban on 255/85r16 tires and other than filling the tank it's been great.

Ronnie B 7070

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Gearhart, OR, USA
First Name
ronnie
Last Name
baskins
Member #

I drive a 1998 f 150 2wd on all the loging roads on the oregon coast in october & november. I run 265r7516's at's only been stuck 3 times as long as you have good tires you can all most go enny place a 4wd can go

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Is it a 3/4 tons because they have limited slips in some of them. An 01 is old enough to work on. To new then you'll never find that relay or wire.
I have a 6" lift it came with the truck and has worked great with the long wheel base and has been keeping the body away from the rock and 35" tires. A 4" will work too. So far I don't need any rock slider. Where do you plan on sleeping? I have a snug top camper, carpeted top, bottom and all sides for insulation in winter camping. I sleep in the truck. A needed up grade will be extra gas cans and a swing arm bumper for the larger tire. A winch up front will help. You may need a bigger air compressor to air up the bigger tires.

Reactions: Joshua_Lionstrong

Joshua_Lionstrong

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

Is it a 3/4 tons because they have limited slips in some of them. An 01 is old enough to work on. To new then you'll never find that relay or wire.
I have a 6" lift it came with the truck and has worked great with the long wheel base and has been keeping the body away from the rock and 35" tires. A 4" will work too. So far I don't need any rock slider. Where do you plan on sleeping? I have a snug top camper, carpeted top, bottom and all sides for insulation in winter camping. I sleep in the truck. A needed up grade will be extra gas cans and a swing arm bumper for the larger tire. A winch up front will help. You may need a bigger air compressor to air up the bigger tires.
Yeah it’s a 3/4 ton, it came on some nice 33’s. I’m thinking of either sleeping in the box or getting an ARB awning tent. I like the idea of that swing arm bumper!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I think it depends on what you plan on doing in it. I have a Jeep JK that is fun for day trips and short weekends. I have a Toyota Tundra that is built up for overlanding and had a Four Wheel pop up on it. Now have a Earthcruiser as wife wanted more conveniences on the road for more then 2 days. I would find out what you like to do, where you like to go and for how long....

Reactions: Majorbacon8r

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Tents are good as long as its not windy. On a Death Valley trip I slept warm in my camper I could hear the flapping of those tents loud in the wind. 41 mph winds. One couple tent rods bent and they ended up sleeping in the the cab and another woke up with his tent laying on his face pressing down by the wind. Where are you planning on going camping and will there be wind. I am going camping in Dec in the snow and I will be warm in my camper off the snow. I am having a whole new bumper with a detach swing arm and two Jerry cans for fuel and it should be done this week. By removing the spare tire from underneath the bed it clears room for my air tanks to air up those 35's. Bigger is always better.

JohnC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis , ca
Member #

I have a 2004 yukon xl and it has 32" mud tires. For what i do its been no issue even with no lift and because the tires are not far from stock size gearing isnt an issue really. I used to have a jeep cherokee and it was great but with a family something big worked better for us. My vehicle has rock sliders off a jeep, smittybilt tent and awning attached to yakima racks and the front bumper is designed for a fj60 from trail gear which i welded onto the frame after some cutting and plating. Rear bumper is just 4x4 steel tube and tire carrier is 2x3" steel. With a full size you have alot of room to work with. Its more weight but you have some more power too. For myself the yukon xl is fine but we arent going into rocks much.

JohnC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis , ca
Member #

I have a 2004 yukon xl and it has 32" mud tires. For what i do its been no issue even with no lift and because the tires are not far from stock size gearing isnt an issue really. I used to have a jeep cherokee and it was great but with a family something big worked better for us. My vehicle has rock sliders off a jeep, smittybilt tent and awning attached to yakima racks and the front bumper is designed for a fj60 from trail gear which i welded onto the frame after some cutting and plating. Rear bumper is just 4x4 steel tube and tire carrier is 2x3" steel. With a full size you have alot of room to work with. Its more weight but you have some more power too. For myself the yukon xl is fine but we arent going into rocks much.
I forgot to mention when we camp in the cold we use a mr heater buddy propane heater to stay warm works well and its safe.

JohnC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis , ca
Member #

Here are the jeep rock rails off my old xj which have come in handy a few timesIMG_2813.JPGIMG_2812.JPGIMG_2811.JPGIMG_2809.JPG

Reactions: Desert Runner

JohnC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis , ca
Member #

I use a roof tent for two and anymore we bring ground tents. In the desert it can get real windy so a ground tent is better sometimes for us

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I have a large RTT on the roof but for a few reasons I am building a small trailer and will move the RTT onto it. For your info, the primary reasons for this
1) being able to set up camp for an extended period and not having to break camp to drive anywhere
2) At 6'2" I still have to climb up and all over the suburban to pack up the tent. My wife at 5'4" is just not able to do it by herself. Sometimes she wants to head out while I'm away for work.
3) Last year I camped an embarassingly low number of days. We all want to be full time explorers and if you are, lucky you, but the added wind drag of the rtt is there every day regardless of where you are driving. A trailer only affects mpg when you use it, but you have to have room to store it...

Next summer we will have the trailer with RTT for family trips and if I'm solo just sleep inside the rig or under the stars.

Cheers

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Joshua_Lionstrong, did you get that 01 Sierra or something else? In the area that you live you'll want a lift on the truck for all that snow clearance or you'll bottom out. When it get real cold, sleeping in the truck bed with a camper is the way to go. I have a snug top camper with carpet all around and a 15 degree sleeping bag and i don't even know it's cold outside and slept sound. Let us know what you get.

Joshua_Lionstrong

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Leonhardt
Member #

Joshua_Lionstrong, did you get that 01 Sierra or something else? In the area that you live you'll want a lift on the truck for all that snow clearance or you'll bottom out. When it get real cold, sleeping in the truck bed with a camper is the way to go. I have a snug top camper with carpet all around and a 15 degree sleeping bag and i don't even know it's cold outside and slept sound. Let us know what you get.
Yeah I ended up getting the Sierra. It has a two inch lift for snow clearance like you mentioned, and I’m definitely leaning towards sleeping in the bed of the truck as well.