Looking for a way to heat up the tent with out propane, or electricity

• HTML tutorial

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

We camped last week in a 3/4 season tent. It was -27 celcius. I slept in socks, long underwear, a hoodie and a toque. Put a mummy bag inside a rectangle bag and slept through the night. Not much you can do to warm the inside of a tent without propane or something. We had a candle lantern buring. Maybe took the edge off. Definately less than 10 degree difference with outside temp. Probably less than 5 degrees difference.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Fill your air mattress with hot water, or use a hot water bottle. Generate your own body heat with another person is usually the most fun way. But considering the physics of heat, it has to be generated some how, so unless you want to have a wood/pellet stove that exhausts to the outside you'll still have to deal with the safety issues etc I really don't know many alternatives.

There are propane heaters specifically made for tents, that are meant to have a window opened and will turn off if oxygen levels drop.
I would not recommend filling an air mattress with hot water. For 1. Mold will form over time inside 2. If in freezing areas that hot water will freeze up and have you frozen to a block of ice int he middle of the night. I mean how does one find that much hot water any ways?

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
In December a friend and I went camping in the Sierra's, and because of the cold decided to share one tent. We fell asleep with a UCO single candle lantern burning, which kept the tent lit almost all night but made a surprisingly significant temperature change. I wouldn't recommend relying on it, but the inside of the tent was a good ~3 degrees warmer the night we kept it lit, versus the previous night. UCO also has a 3 candle lantern that may be better, but be careful with sleeping and burning stuff.

I've also used the hot water bottle method, about 15-30 minutes before bed, fill it with hot water and stick and the foot of your sleeping bag, when you get in bed the bag should be nice and toasty.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

In December a friend and I went camping in the Sierra's, and because of the cold decided to share one tent. We fell asleep with a UCO single candle lantern burning, which kept the tent lit almost all night but made a surprisingly significant temperature change. I wouldn't recommend relying on it, but the inside of the tent was a good ~3 degrees warmer the night we kept it lit, versus the previous night. UCO also has a 3 candle lantern that may be better, but be careful with sleeping and burning stuff.

I've also used the hot water bottle method, about 15-30 minutes before bed, fill it with hot water and stick and the foot of your sleeping bag, when you get in bed the bag should be nice and toasty.
A great way to keep your bag warm for a few hours is through placign your steel canteen next to a very hot fire for a while. Once you are ready to hop in your bag just clean off the canteen wrap it in a sock and ship it down to the bottom of your bag. This is a great way to keep your bag warm during freezing temps.

Reactions: Boort

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
A great way to keep your bag warm for a few hours is through placign your steel canteen next to a very hot fire for a while. Once you are ready to hop in your bag just clean off the canteen wrap it in a sock and ship it down to the bottom of your bag. This is a great way to keep your bag warm during freezing temps.
Ooh, I like this idea. How long would the steel in a sock stay warm versus hot water in a hot water bottle? It's definitely easier to heat a canteen (even with water in it) next to a fire than to heat water to put in the bottle.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Ooh, I like this idea. How long would the steel in a sock stay warm versus hot water in a hot water bottle? It's definitely easier to heat a canteen (even with water in it) next to a fire than to heat water to put in the bottle.
Precisely! However make sure the top is off the container when heating the water inside the metal bottle. The last thing you want is the top to bust off shooting super hot condensed steam into every ones face. *(Heat the bottle at a close distance to the fire with the TOP OFF)* Allow to cool a bit before tossing it in your bag. I wouldn't recommend setting the bottle into the fire directly. In reference to your method, both ways work just fine.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

build a fire outside and heat up some rocks and stones, bring some in and swap them out every so often. they generate a fair amount of heat and can warm a tent.

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
Depends on the places you camp, but in a pinch, bury the coals from your fire under a layer of dirt and place your tent/bag on top of the coal bed. Obviously cover it well enough to not melt your tent. But it works very well.

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I use a little buddy propane heater to warm up the tent. I don't sleep with it on. I usually wake up cold in the wee hours and warm it up again.
We could do like the mountain men. Dig a ditch and fill it with hot coals. Then cover it up and sleep on it. If you've ever seen the movie Jeremiah Johnson you'll see how well that goes if not done right. :grinning:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Going back to what I learned during my Boy Scout days, which I still use today, are : wear dry socks to bed, wear a hat, dress appropriately with long johns fleece pants , tops etc. Easier to be too warm and crack the bag than be cold and try to add layers and get warm.
When backpacking, a simple candle lantern would warm up the tent nicely.

Sometimes I use a Coleman Blackcat heater in my RTT . It can be 60 degrees inside when 30 outside when on low. If you have to take a leak holding it in makes you colder. A Snickers bar is good for extra calories if you wake up peckish.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

I bought a 12v electric blanket and the Jackery 240. Charge the Jackery throughout the day while I explore trails. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Cendee, what is your opinion about the Jackery 240? Does it work all night with the electric blanket? How many time does it need to 100% charge on dc? I'm considering a Jakery on my setup… If it is not a trouble for you, I would like to know your considerations.

Reactions: Cendee

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The correct sleeping bag and ventilation to get rid of condensation, even at 40 below I'm comfortable if the moisture is under control.... And tho I hate to say it.... no alcohol.... and wear a toque.

I was sure someone would mention a sleeping bag which fits 2... or 3....

But seriously, put your clothing in the sleeping bag too. The worst thing about winter camping is waking and putting on cold damp clothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

also when storing your sleeping bags at home take them out of their stuff sack and store them loose . If bags are stored long-term stuffed inside their cinch sack they will actually lose Loft and then lose some of their heat rating.
absolutely !!! the best advice many might not realize. I hung my bag in the hall closet, it was a great conversation starter when company came over. Many who never considered tenting in the winter on a glacier.

Altho this picture is in September. Still the hut in the background is unheated. Bow Hut, Banff National Park, AB
Bow Hut 1984 ?.jpeg