Launch Member

Member I

Covina, CA
First Name
Gilbert
Last Name
Adame
Member #

Hello everyone, I am a brand new member to this group. I have been overlanding with my family, but it was in my dads vehicle. I now want my own vehicle for overlanding. I am looking to purchasing a vehicle. I currently own a large sedan, but I want to purchase a daily driver that I could also use as my overlanding rig. I need to get a large, comfortable 8 passenger SUV, but I also want it to do well off road. I am looking to spend about $28k. I am currently considering a 2008-2010 chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban z71. What do you guys think about that? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I would second that the Tahoe or Suburban might be a little big. Not only width wise, but length of the frame may be an issue. What is your main goal trail wise aside from daily driver duties?

I am working on restoring a '62 Willys Truck. No where close to what you are aiming for but it meets my goals. I'm not aiming past gravel roads and kept trails that are local. So why 8 passenger? Are you taking fire roads or blazing a trail with it? Camping inside or outside of the vehicle? Not saying they won't fit what you want to do, it just helps the group know what your goals with the rig are.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@Gilbert You mention large 8 passenger SUV and be good off road and a daily driver. I understand you would like to fit one vehicle into this equation but it may be quite difficult. Things to consider while on the hunt, track width and wheel base are huge limiting factors while off road. Track, trails can be quite narrow and if the vehicle is to long tight turns are near impossible. You mention eight passenger, If you plan on a trip with eight, even a Tahoe will not have enough room for gear without an extensive rack and or a trailer. That brings up more questions, with a trailer (designed for off road) you are effectively increasing wheel base. A Tahoe with suspension modifications to increase DROOP (long travel) are quite costly but without it you would be limited to dirt roads/fire roads. A friend @jdunk runs a jeep commander and does very well on all kinds of off road trails and it is big, here is a link of his build. https://www.overlandbound.com/2006-jeep-commander-xk-overland-build/
Good luck, keep us in the loop and keep asking questions. We are all here to help!!!!!!!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@Gilbert Welcome to the community! Rig selection can be a tough decision and there are a lot of pro's and con's to consider for every platform out there. What it boils down to is what your goals will be for the setup. Can you share more about your location, offroad trail types in your area, how many people you need to haul, and how much gear you anticipate running? That might help us direct you towards a platform that best suits your needs.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Hello everyone, I am a brand new member to this group. I have been overlanding with my family, but it was in my dads vehicle. I now want my own vehicle for overlanding. I am looking to purchasing a vehicle. I currently own a large sedan, but I want to purchase a daily driver that I could also use as my overlanding rig. I need to get a large, comfortable 8 passenger SUV, but I also want it to do well off road. I am looking to spend about $28k. I am currently considering a 2008-2010 chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban z71. What do you guys think about that? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Welcome @Gilbert!!! It all comes down to your definition of "off road". If we're talkin' fire roads, you're all good...

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.02.07 AM.png

If you want to go places no sane human would go...

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.10.13 AM.png

... a Suburban might not be the best option.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Comfortable for 8 adults or are there some small kids as well? Even a Suburban would be hard pressed to seat 8 comfortably for any length of time (I'm talking about the guys who will have to sit in the 3rd row). I would think that a 4wd van would be a better choice, but like other's have mentioned it all depends on where you want to go and the types of trails you expect to encounter. With a budget of $28k, you could drop $15-20k on the rig and have a decent amount left over to make it more capable and add all the other goodies you want.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Welcome @Gilbert!!! It all comes down to your definition of "off road". If we're talkin' fire roads, you're all good...

View attachment 9667

If you want to go places no sane human would go...

View attachment 9668

... a Suburban might not be the best option.

From first hand experience I gotta disagree. With a moderate lift good tires and the G80 locker the Suburban went everywhere a Jeep JK, Tacoma, 4runner and FJ did on a recent trip and did so mostly in 2WD with G80 equiped Z71 and 2500 Suburbans.

I will say with any full-sized truck and SUV you will get pintstriping, not be as agile and will be moving at a slower clip.

The 2500 Suburban in particular has really stout (HD) engine, trans and rear axles. The 2500 platform also sits about an inch higher than the 1500 series. So depending at which platform I'd say at a minimum a 2" spacer (4" might be better) on the 1500 and leveled 2.5" on the 2500 with 33" tires with G80 locker and you have a really capable rig. I have been very surprised how well it performed off-road thus far. I feel like with that setup all moderately rated trails wouldn't be an issue. For harder trails 5-6" non toresen bar drop suspension lift UCA for more droop and 35" tires along with rock sliders would be mandatory IMO.

Also Gilbert hows the GMT900 Suburban Z71 been since the puchase?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I'd vote for the Ford Excursion stay away from the 6.0L diesels unless you know what you are doing and how to fix their issues i.e. bulletproof them. Solid front axle, several engine choices lots of space. Here is a write up from another site.
https://expeditionportal.com/full-size-overland-expos-diesel-excursion-project/

Part 2
https://expeditionportal.com/full-size-overland-the-excursion-part-two/
The Ecxursion is a very good platform. I had a buddy with a 6.0 king ranch Excursion when new we bought our rigs at the sametime. Stock vs stock It sits 1" or so higher than the 2500 burb and a little longer and much more power! It was a very nice rig it just rode alot harsher than the IFS 2500 burb and steering wasn't as precise either. The burb felt more nimble. the Ford had 265/75/16 stock iirc vs the burbs 245/75/16 so thinking can fit 33" with no lift and 35" leveled can't do that with the FMT800/900 burbs without a 5-6" lift..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I have a gmt800 suburban 2500 with 33s and stock suspension. *roughly* the same wheelbase and overall length as a tacoma double cab long box...
I think a gmt900 'Burb would be a good option for you personally.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I concur with most of the comments related to size of vehicles being a consideration. But since you must go big, I submit for your consideration: used Ford Excursion with Diesel.
Towing capacity: 11,000 lbs
Seating capacity: 8, 9

It's big, but would carry you passengers, and their camping great.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I have seen a few really nice early Excursions at OverLand Expo in the past few years. I have stopped to talk with them also and most with pictures of their rigs in some pretty tight spots and say they can go most places just need to pay more attention to their lines.

With us it is just my wife - Kathy - Ernie our hood and I, so we travel in a 99 F250 CrewCab and for now it is only a 2wd, but has a Detroit locker in the rear. Our truck is a little longer than in Excursion also.

Sorry no action shoots our Go-pro stopped working while on race duty.

Shadow 1.jpg

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

To fit that many people and in your price range I would also suggest a excursion. I had a diesel excursion and loved it..... FYI my buddy is about to sell his diesel 7.3l excursion.... Has a brand new engine, lift, offroad bumpers and all new leather. I believe he's asking 27k for it....

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app