US Northwest Looking for a 4 runner to buy !

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Slimpartywagon @KRose
One more quick question, what are some good 4Runner forums for us to check out for technical information (troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repair. Along with mild upgrades). If we go with this second gen what would I need to install the factory lockers so I can start putting together a shopping list.
T4R.org has lots of tech info and is very active. I also keep an eye on ultimateyota.com and ttora.com both of which have great forum archives to search with google when looking for something specific.

Timmy the Toolman on youtube (@MBTIM on t4r.org) posts lots of how-to videos on 4runners and Tacomas. He has specific playlists for 1st, 3rd, & 5th gen 4runners. He has a videos on performing the E-Locker Axle Swap + Wiring How-To as well as Front Differential Replacement.

Since you plan to be working on her the 2nd gen might also benefit from the High-Lift Hood Strut Mod that Tim recently did a video on for the late 1st gen Tacoma.

90's 4Runners were fairly easy to get the FSM for (compared to my 2006 which took nearly a year). Try searching eBay for
toyota Manual (4runner|4 Runner) (1990,1991,1992,1993,1994,1995,90,91,92,93,94,95)
Currently I see listings for 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, and 1995. If you are getting a 1990 or 1992 I'd jump on the complete set for $150/$100 as these include the electrical diagram which is a GREAT help when upgrading or chasing old car gremlins.

Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Slimpartywagon @KRose

T4R.org has lots of tech info and is very active. I also keep an eye on ultimateyota.com and ttora.com both of which have great forum archives to search with google when looking for something specific.

Timmy the Toolman on youtube (@MBTIM on t4r.org) posts lots of how-to videos on 4runners and Tacomas. He has specific playlists for 1st, 3rd, & 5th gen 4runners. He has a videos on performing the E-Locker Axle Swap + Wiring How-To as well as Front Differential Replacement.

Since you plan to be working on her the 2nd gen might also benefit from the High-Lift Hood Strut Mod that Tim recently did a video on for the late 1st gen Tacoma.

90's 4Runners were fairly easy to get the FSM for (compared to my 2006 which took nearly a year). Try searching eBay for
toyota Manual (4runner|4 Runner) (1990,1991,1992,1993,1994,1995,90,91,92,93,94,95)
Currently I see listings for 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, and 1995. If you are getting a 1990 or 1992 I'd jump on the complete set for $150/$100 as these include the electrical diagram which is a GREAT help when upgrading or chasing old car gremlins.

Boort
Wow those videos are long, boring, while very informative they are missing key information... the first video they swap a whole axle assembly out of what??? Then the wiring... again what parts Did they snag from the donor rig. The second video again didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know how to do...
your service manual selection while great for most normal people, is a little hard for me myself to bite off the price tag. I have access to subscriptions to ALDATA an Mitchell On Demand, witch gives me the same information as the factory service manuals.
The forums listed are great and exactly the information I was looking for. I am the type of guy who needs to read things 10 times before looking at it, reading 1 more time, then do it..l watching videos doesn’t give me time to think about what else I would do while tackling a project.

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Reactions: Chadlyb

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well we aren’t looking at the one @KRose posted earlier in the thread.
Through our whole research project we have been talking about V-6 , but we never talked about the V-8. We are currently on the road to go look at a 2004 4runner Limited with apx 277,000 miles with a V-8. What are some common things to look for in this model.

Reactions: Boort

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Through our whole research project we have been talking about V-6 , but we never talked about the V-8. We are currently on the road to go look at a 2004 4runner Limited with apx 277,000 miles with a V-8. What are some common things to look for in this model.
Hey Mike, here's the specs on the vehicle for you two to reference. Good luck.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yea mike @Slimpartywagon says black ok it’s your car but it’s better then electric blue on the focus.
Years ago I wanted a Ford Ranger. My wife went out and bought me a used one (with her own money). It was periwinkle purple. I always felt like everybody was looking and me and saying "what is that". She thought it was purdy, bless her loving heart.

Reactions: M Rose and Chadlyb

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Really I would have preferred Green but beggers cant be choosers when on a limited budget

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I like @KRose new car so much I’m tempted to sell the Bronco and get one... That V-8 is smooth, power out the ying-yang, handles better than any car I have ever owned... Need to take it on the trails before I am completely sold... but I’m sure for her use it’s going to fit the perfectly.

The paint isn’t perfect, it has a few scratches, the rear bumper is kinda smashed, the passenger front seat is ripped, and a few other small defects... perfect for our intended use... don’t have to worry about Northwest Pinstripes. Now on to find tires and possibly a small lift... idk... it’s her car... she can do with it as she pleases...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Slimpartywagon

This might be a bit late but ... Some common things to look out for on these 4th gens esp. for overlanding use:
  • Frame rust (same as most other Toyota models form this time period. Bad steel + bad weather == holes. No frame recall for the 4runners like the tacos and tundras though. Check the Radiator supports and hitch as good indicators, then tap with small hammer everywhere you can get to.)
  • Secondary Air Injection pump ( Details, expected codes, and Fix options at Toyota-4Runner.org )
  • Exhaust manifold / header crack (Not sure if this is a problem in the early 4th gens, 03-05 vvi, as it is in the late ones, 06-09 vvii, V8's. Fix seems to be live with it or get the Doug Thorley headers)
  • 4 low actuator (These things lock up and are considered "Use it or lose it". Once a month cycle through all of your 4WD options Details and reminder thread at Toyota-4Runner.org )
  • Sun roof rattle (Sun roof is no longer made, working replacements are getting hard and $$$ to locate. Mine is just starting and it is flipping annoying! Right now I can open and close and usually it'll stop for a while.)
  • Rear window (Misc issues, seals leak lead to control board / motor failure and some reports of the glass shattering using the rear window heater.)
  • Stuck Brake Calipers
  • Cracked Dashboard (I there was a recall for this but likely expired by now.)
  • Spare tire chain hoist (Rusts solid and will not raise lower the spare from under belly)
Boort

Reactions: M Rose

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That 4.7 is a very smooth , very quiet well performing motor , doesn’t care to tow another rig ( found out in my sequoia) but that’s not it’s intended Purpose. I will agree on the ride and drive of that platform I’m starting to find myself saying the same thing after driving the fiancé gx around.

Reactions: M Rose