Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Hey everyone, I currently have a 2014 Wrangler JKU. I love it, but I do tons of highway driving. Over 2500 km per month. The Wrangler is good, but you need to be very active when driving the long highways at highway speed. Not that I want to sleep, but you know what I mean if your a Wrangler owner.

We recently took the LR discovery Sport for a test drive and really enjoyed it. I like how roomy it is without being big. I like the finishing and that it's got the luxury aspect to it. I know it isn't a LR2 or LR4, so don't slam the Discovery Sport because you are not liking the LR direction with vehicles.

I want/need something comfortable to drive. Has good interior space for camping and road trips - still want to get my Overland trailer! Something that can tow (it's rated at 4000lbs) something that you can go off on the forest service roads and explore, get a little muddy. I'm not ever going to drive thru a rock garden, or spend the day mud bogging.

First and foremost it is a family vehicle, safe, comfortable. But still has that light off road exploring ability.

Looking for feed back from those that might own one!!!
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Would a used LR4 be a possibility? You can get one with a CPO warranty if you worry about the maintenance aspects. Then you can tow 7700 lbs and as much capability as the JKU but with significantly improved comfort. Not sure how it compares to the disco sport, as I haven't had the chance to drive one yet.

AlysonH

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I know someone who has one and he loves it. He took it to Hollister here in Northern California and he was able to do a lot - a lot more than all the other rigs around us thought he could.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Disco 4 the end of the line for the dicovery The new ones may be capable but nowere as capable as there predesessors only my opinion , And they all look like crushed range rovers :cry:

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

It might not be as capable as some offroad, but if you are looking for better highway performance (and that you are) I would just go for it.. offroad and highway just don't mix that well.. It will still get you off the beaten path. stick some better tires to it etc. and you are golden..

Reactions: AlysonH

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

You would be amazed how capable they are. Just did Lippencott Road in Death Valley with the Canadian version of the Envoque and he crushed it with just an upgraded set of tires.

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

Sounds like the OP will be very happy with a Discovery Sport. We can't all be driving Jeep Rubicon's with 37's. I would never own my Jeep as my primary vehicle. Most Land Rover products do a good job at balancing onroad comfort and offroad abilities and do real well for 90% of the terrain most people use. I own a 2013 LR4 with the HD package as my everyday car and it was also my weekend warrior truck for exploring the southwest (DV, Anza, Sierra's, Sedona, Mojave, etc).

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've been driving one this week with the 3.0Liter JLR/Ford/Peugeot diesel engine, and I have to say I have not driven a better V6 diesel!
It has a very sophisticated feel and doesn't have the typical negative points of a diesel (clatter, smell) and has very good on-road performance and acceleration feeling. If you need good fuel economy, which is not a bad thing for a highway vehicle, get the diesel! You won't be disappointed.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I got a phone call late friday afternoon.( I am a contractor ) could i go and look at some defective concrete at the LANDROVER FACTORY !!!! oh my god i was taken right through the production line. There are brand new disco sports being ( born) oh ok constructed Then i past through the evoqe bit not a fan but anything with a LR BADGE all ways turns my head , they have there own off road course , back there tomorrow I wounder would they mis one !!!

cherokee_boot

Rank 0

Contributor I

In this day and age.....you have a lot of options. Kinda want to say any thing that has a fully independent suspension will give you good highway manners. You might also consider a Cherokee Trailhawk. Rear locker. Nuff said.
I second the cherokee trail hawk. Great vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
There building a new plant its massive all hush hush am thinking defender But know one seems to know

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We just got back from the Cleveland Auto Show. I had quite a surprise, because no matter how much I wanted to *not* like the new Discovery (not sport), I found it very nice, room, and by all accounts, every bit as capable as previous model (LR4 here in the US.)

I'm not shopping, but if I were...

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Its not that i dont think it is capable its the way LR (tata) are taking the whole line down the same route they are becoming to alike loosing the identity maybe its a brit thing Or i am just getting old Lol

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

If you want to go out in the woods take a Land Rover!!!.... but if you want to make it back out take a landcruiser. Check out the 200s they will out last and out wheel a Land Rover. But at the end of the day hey what ever you can afford to fix lol

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you want to go out in the woods take a Land Rover!!!.... but if you want to make it back out take a landcruiser. Check out the 200s they will out last and out wheel a Land Rover. But at the end of the day hey what ever you can afford to fix lol

Hey, hey... 8 out of 10 LandRovers ever sold are still on the road.

The other two made it home! *insert rim shot here*

(perfect spot for the best Landrover joke ever)

Reactions: Montanarally

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

I will say out of every rig I have built. The disco 2 I had ... the rover guys have the best camaraderie out of all. The cruiser guy will say gets what's up!! But the rover guys have that... charisma about them. There like hello share our fire !! The cruiser guys. Don't have that as much . It is all about the friendship family you find in the trail and the rover guys have that in spades for sure. Im