Long travel vs solid axle swap.

• HTML tutorial

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

Have a 2011 tacoma 4x4 and would like a little feedback from people that know more than I. I keep tearing up cv axles and ball joints almost every trip I take and I'm thinking about going heavier duty. I don't do too much rock crawling but hit alot of off camber spots and high water crossings. I'm doing all the labor so price of parts isn't really a big deal. I'm thinking the long travel set up would benefit me more. Any advice would be great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Stuck CAPS

Rank 0

Contributor I

Because Toyota uses the ADD system on the front diff, I feel that regardless of your suspension set-up (due to the CV's always turning with no locking hubs), you're going to run into CV boots tearing (relatively) frequently. Now if you beef up the boots, they may last you longer, but they're still being subjected to all that constant wear. With a solid axle, you obviously don't have that issue, and on top of that, it's a lot safer to lock a solid front. Personally, if the cost is similar, I'd swap for a solid front.

Reactions: Amansh

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

depends how deep your pockets are and how handy you are.
a solid axle would definetly be cheaper, but more extensive in the fab department
long travel would be more set up for what your talking about doing, but most long travel set ups are for 2wds. but im sure if there is a long travel set up for a 4wd 11 taco then the company would either include new beefier cv arms in the kit or know of a way to beef em up and eliminate going through them so quickly.

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

depends how deep your pockets are and how handy you are.
a solid axle would definetly be cheaper, but more extensive in the fab department
long travel would be more set up for what your talking about doing, but most long travel set ups are for 2wds. but im sure if there is a long travel set up for a 4wd 11 taco then the company would either include new beefier cv arms in the kit or know of a way to beef em up and eliminate going through them so quickly.
Some of the kits do include longer HD cv axles and a few companies sell them aftermarket. I think I will probably end up with the LT setup as I like the wider stance and tend to have a heavy foot through rough patches. I think experience In the fab dept will also keep me in LT. Easier install

Reactions: timberwolf_120

CopperStar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

1901 West Germann Road, Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Moore
Member #

At higher speeds and on the long highway trips the long travel would be be best. Because you retain the ifs upfront it will feel similar to what your used to getting with the truck. With the solid axle it will depend on how you build it. 3 vs 4 link, crossover vs y-link steer, and a host of others. The driving dynamic will change from what you are used to. Although the Solid axle has its plusses with being generally stronger and handle better in low speed enviornments. And better traction and articulation at those low speeds.

Personally I am swapping in a dana 44 hp from a Ford because I do more low speed stuff.

It sounds like you have a lot of good options and I can't wait to see what you build! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Long travel won't fix the issue of tearing up the CV's. That is simply a function of lift. The more lift than the more angle on the boot and the joint.

The bigger question is why are you going through axles? The axle and CV on the tacoma are historically pretty strong. They don't tend to fail unless the boots are broken from being at to high an angle. Are you replacing them with OEM kit or something from Pep boys?

Last edited:

lucas9314

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

I'd say go for the solid axle.

I solid axle swapped my s10 and ran leaf springs instead of a coil setup simply because: less parts = less that can go wrong.

I used to have a 2.5" IFS lift on the truck and I have a smoother ride now with a solid axle and lift springs. I'll be switching leaf packs soon to an even better riding pack (flatter and more leafs). You will have a slightly rougher ride with a solid axle than you're used to regardless because whatever one side of the axle feels, the other will too unlike an IFS. Although it's negligible imo.

Only thing that sucks is that you sacrifice some ground clearance that you'd otherwise have with regular IFS or long travel.

Last but certainly not least...
its badass lol

Pros: stronger, way cheaper, less to fail

Cons: ground clearance, fabwork, slightly rougher ride

OB 0343

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Long travel suspension is are generally more expensive than doing a solid-axle swap however I think long travel is the ticket. Unless you plan to run huge tires you will lose clearance with the solid axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas9314

lucas9314

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Long travel suspension is are generally more expensive than doing a solid-axle swap however I think long travel is the ticket. Unless you plan to run huge tires you will lose clearance with the solid axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Oh forsure!

Unless you find some *affordable* portal axles, ground clearance will always be a weak point with a solid axle set up.

BUT the kicker as to why that isn't such a huge chink in the solid axle's armor is because most trucks and suv's will have a solid rear axle... still going to run into clearance issues on the back half regardless.

I would love to have a solid axle rig andddd a long travel rig to have the best of both worlds though, long travel has its own badass factor too!

OB 0343

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Oh forsure!

Unless you find some *affordable* portal axles, ground clearance will always be a weak point with a solid axle set up.

BUT the kicker as to why that isn't such a huge chink in the solid axle's armor is because most trucks and suv's will have a solid rear axle... still going to run into clearance issues on the back half regardless.

I would love to have a solid axle rig andddd a long travel rig to have the best of both worlds though, long travel has its own badass factor too!

OB 0343

I hear what you are saying but if the front end is not dragging at the same time as the rear you're less likely to get stuck.

Reactions: lucas9314

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

There are many many options. I have the Baja Kits +2 kit and I love it.

It works great is technically considered a "Mid travel" kit but allows me to run a coilover and a bypass up front. Both Total Chaos and Baja Kits make a +2 kit.

Axles can also be provided.

The best thing is that you do not need fiberglass front fenders.

Baja Kits +2

Total Chaos +2

Solid axles are rad for really heavy crawling but may not be the best for high speed stuff..

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Also there are some things that you can do with the front diff to make sure that your CV angles are not extreme. You can also upgrade your boots to some of the more durable desert racing style boots and even run two boots if needed.

930 CV boots

Lots of options but honestly when you have the right IFS system dialed in nothing can beat it for all around ride comfort and versatility. Yeah a SAS can work for really gnarly rock crawling, but you have to do a LOT to make them work through the rough stuff at speed. Shoot even some of the KOH cars are building IFS systems inlace of solid axles.

Regardless of what you do there will always be maintenance and prep with aftermarket equipment, and that is part of the fun right?

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

Also there are some things that you can do with the front diff to make sure that your CV angles are not extreme. You can also upgrade your boots to some of the more durable desert racing style boots and even run two boots if needed.

930 CV boots

Lots of options but honestly when you have the right IFS system dialed in nothing can beat it for all around ride comfort and versatility. Yeah a SAS can work for really gnarly rock crawling, but you have to do a LOT to make them work through the rough stuff at speed. Shoot even some of the KOH cars are building IFS systems inlace of solid axles.

Regardless of what you do there will always be maintenance and prep with aftermarket equipment, and that is part of the fun right?
Considering I wouldn't mind getting into a little desert running the ifs seems to be the best way for me so far. Thanks for all of your input guys, it's nice having different opinions to weigh against what I've learned

Rob2thec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

It appears that your in Louisiana? @Amansh ? I'll have my truck in New Orleans late April and through the first two weeks of May if you want to check it out. Also the guys at Baja Kits are great friends and big supporters of the overland movement. I can def help you get dialed in.

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

It appears that your in Louisiana? @Amansh ? I'll have my truck in New Orleans late April and through the first two weeks of May if you want to check it out. Also the guys at Baja Kits are great friends and big supporters of the overland movement. I can def help you get dialed in.
Sounds like somthing I'll need to check out.

Reactions: Rob2thec