Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I've seen the other thread here about trailer security. I do most of the things in that thread when I'm setup at camp (wheel boot, remove my max coupler, chain through the wheels, etc).

Lately I've been obsessing with locking hitch pins, of which I own 4 (truck receiver, Max Coupler pivot, Max Coupler receiver, rear trailer receiver). Recently a friend made me aware of how easy it is to defeat these locks with a simple piece of steel pipe. So, I gave it a try. Yah, suffice to say it would take about 2 seconds to defeat the hitch pin on my truck, pull out the hitch from my receiver and plug it into any other 2" receiver and off the trailer goes.

It seems all locking hitch pins are susceptible to this attack with the possible exception of the Bulldog which uses ball bearings instead of a cut groove for it's locking mechanism. However, I haven't seen a test on this hitch pin and I haven't purchased one to test myself.

So, I have 4 hitch pins I would like to lock on my entire setup with the lowest level protection being from a piece of steel pipe and bolt cutters. If someone has a cordless die grinder or reciprocating saw with appropriate blades they could cut through the hitch pin itself. However, this would make a fair amount of noise so I have resolved myself to preventing a silent defeat of the locks. I have also decided to rule out trying to prevent someone who has professional level lock picking skills. I've learned virtually any lock can be picked by the right person with the right tools.

So, my solution is to use hitch pins and "high security" padlocks. I went down to the local trailer supply store and got 4 5/8" hitch pins with the larger 3/8" (actually, a little less than 3/8") hole for the lock pin. I have order 4 high security, fully shrouded 1/4" shackle locks all keyed the same to use with these pins. These locks are resistant to bolt cutters and make the steel pipe attack impossible. As a side benefit I have 1 key for all 4 pins, and, in my opinion I believe these will be easier to operate.

I wanted to get input from some others on this forum that may have obsessed about this like I have. Nothing is 100% and this is to mainly protect my rig while parked unattended while traveling.

-Curtiss

Nathan morrison

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Port orchard, wa
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7jnl
I've seen the other thread here about trailer security. I do most of the things in that thread when I'm setup at camp (wheel boot, remove my max coupler, chain through the wheels, etc).

Lately I've been obsessing with locking hitch pins, of which I own 4 (truck receiver, Max Coupler pivot, Max Coupler receiver, rear trailer receiver). Recently a friend made me aware of how easy it is to defeat these locks with a simple piece of steel pipe. So, I gave it a try. Yah, suffice to say it would take about 2 seconds to defeat the hitch pin on my truck, pull out the hitch from my receiver and plug it into any other 2" receiver and off the trailer goes.

It seems all locking hitch pins are susceptible to this attack with the possible exception of the Bulldog which uses ball bearings instead of a cut groove for it's locking mechanism. However, I haven't seen a test on this hitch pin and I haven't purchased one to test myself.

So, I have 4 hitch pins I would like to lock on my entire setup with the lowest level protection being from a piece of steel pipe and bolt cutters. If someone has a cordless die grinder or reciprocating saw with appropriate blades they could cut through the hitch pin itself. However, this would make a fair amount of noise so I have resolved myself to preventing a silent defeat of the locks. I have also decided to rule out trying to prevent someone who has professional level lock picking skills. I've learned virtually any lock can be picked by the right person with the right tools.

So, my solution is to use hitch pins and "high security" padlocks. I went down to the local trailer supply store and got 4 5/8" hitch pins with the larger 3/8" (actually, a little less than 3/8") hole for the lock pin. I have order 4 high security, fully shrouded 1/4" shackle locks all keyed the same to use with these pins. These locks are resistant to bolt cutters and make the steel pipe attack impossible. As a side benefit I have 1 key for all 4 pins, and, in my opinion I believe these will be easier to operate.

I wanted to get input from some others on this forum that may have obsessed about this like I have. Nothing is 100% and this is to mainly protect my rig while parked unattended while traveling.

-Curtiss
So how does the pipe thing work? I have the locking pins for my setup. You made me nervous

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

So how does the pipe thing work? I have the locking pins for my setup. You made me nervous

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You slip the pipe over the lock side and pull. Mine snapped immediately. For the hitch pins that look more like a hammer (lock perpendicular to the pin) you slip it over the side the key goes on and rock it back and forth. Takes a little longer but ends up snapping off also. Go search youtube for locking hitch pin. There are various videos on how to defeat these things but the steel pipe seems the most effective and certainly worked on mine.

-Curtiss

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Just about any lock can be defeated in one way or another. In my head and I reference it while talking to people about bike locks; all locks can be broken or cut, but its about not being the easiest option.
Deterence is a huge part of keeping thieves away so just by using a locking hitch pin youre keeping the stupid thieves at bay.
Some of the smartest people in the world are thieves and theres almost no way to protect yourself from the person who wants it THAT bad.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Just about any lock can be defeated in one way or another. In my head and I reference it while talking to people about bike locks; all locks can be broken or cut, but its about not being the easiest option.
Deterence is a huge part of keeping thieves away so just by using a locking hitch pin youre keeping the stupid thieves at bay.
Some of the smartest people in the world are thieves and theres almost no way to protect yourself from the person who wants it THAT bad.
Yep, its all about being less attractive target. For example, my new setup would be most vulnerable to a pipe wrench being used to twist the locks off. I have yet to see any but the most expensive locks hold up against a large pipe wrench. But at least that's a tool that costs some money and isn't just a piece of steel pipe.

-Curtiss

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
As they say...Locks are generally for honest people (or stupid thieves - as noted). The previous threads are correct. If a thief wants your stuff, your stuff will be got! I have the four locking hitch pin set up for my max coupler as well. SIGH.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Just throwing out an idea, what about a lock nut and bolt with an unusual hex style head? Thieves would need a specific bit to unbolt it and it might be a little harder to break off. Not sure if you could find one thick enough but might be worth a trip to Fastenal.

Another idea, upgrade the safety chains and attach them with mini U locks?

Second edit: after rereading the OP, I’m sure the upgraded locking pins are a sufficient deterrent to thieves of opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: phxdsrtrat

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Just throwing out an idea, what about a lock nut and bolt with an unusual hex style head? Thieves would need a specific bit to unbolt it and it might be a little harder to break off. Not sure if you could find one thick enough but might be worth a trip to Fastenal.

Another idea, upgrade the safety chains and attach them with mini U locks?

Second edit: after rereading the OP, I’m sure the upgraded locking pins are a sufficient deterrent to thieves of opportunity.
You just gave me an idea. What about a hitch pin that is threaded and takes a locking lug nut? Talk about super simple and probably fairly cheap to manufacture.

-Curtiss

Reactions: Porkchopexpress

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Bolts are basically springs and don't have the shear strength of the hitch pins. It would probably work, but it's something to consider.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Around home I just use the standard hitch pin. When we are on our trips, I use a grade 8 bolt and a locknut. Yes, someone could steal it all if they wanted it all bad enough, but a pro is gonna get it anyway no matter what you do. The common thief doesn't generally carry around a deep well 3/4" socket nor a box end 3/4" .
I'm just happy to be living in a neghborhood where crime is virtually non-existent. We accidentally left our garage door open for 3 days once while we were gone. All my tools, bicycles, trailer, VW with keys on a hook, camping gear, etc etc and no one bothered anything. It is just a shame that so many others live in fear. The only sure fire way to not get your hitch stolen is to weld it on.

Reactions: Porkchopexpress

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Bolts are basically springs and don't have the shear strength of the hitch pins. It would probably work, but it's something to consider.
That’s what I was thinking might be a problem. How about use a regular hitch pin, pull the receiver out to take any slack so the pin is holding the load, then drill a smaller hole through the mount and hitch to install a bolt with lock nut. Maybe even paint it black so a would be thief would remove the pin, try to pull out the mount and get frustrated and leave before realizing a bolt is holding it in. And... maybe drill the hole vertical instead of horizontal so it is even less noticeable.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Has anyone figured out how to secure a lock n roll hitch system, trailer side?
With mine, I just leave it attached to the receiver. I have locking pins on both holes. The thieves won't be able to put it in their hitch receiver with the hitch pin in the way. But again, like most folks say, it they want it, they'll take it.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
With mine, I just leave it attached to the receiver. I have locking pins on both holes. The thieves won't be able to put it in their hitch receiver with the hitch pin in the way. But again, like most folks say, it they want it, they'll take it.
Are both your pins the same size? I know that mine are not the same length. One only fits the hitch receiver the longer one to the trailer connection pin hole.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Are both your pins the same size? I know that mine are not the same length. One only fits the hitch receiver the longer one to the trailer connection pin hole.
I was able to find a decent locking pin with an extended length on Amazon for the trailer side pin hole. The pin is 1/2" in diameter but I'm unsure of the length. However, it's just a tad bit longer than the pin it came with.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

as some stated if a some one wants your trailer bad enough, they will get it. I have my trailer insured for the cost to build it & the gear inside. Next I have a tongue lock & a heavy chain with a good quality lock that I secure around the axle , threw the spoke of the rim & back threw again.

Personally I would be more concern for cooler thieves and anything else.