Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

A chance to explore stunning Loch Tay and Glen Lyon area before heading round to Loch Rannoch.
We start off grid in a mountain high overlooking Loch Tay before heading through Glen Lyon to Loch Rannoch for an off grid lochside camp on the Saturday

Lazsus

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

UK
First Name
Larry
Last Name
susman
Member #

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I’m not available this time. Enjoy.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Can all those attending the Loch Tay Rally point please direct message me with numbers in your vehicle.

I need to start finalising things in preparation to make sure we can fit every where we are camping and on the tracks we are taking

Also can everyone who has a cb radio make sure you bring it.

Thanks

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Here are the individual GPX files. Routes 1 and 2 are saturday. With a short hop to Rannoch Station on the Sunday for anyone who fancies visiting the Station and tea room. Nice cakes :-)

Attachments

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Additional Notes:

1. Killin is the nearest town. You can get food and supplies at CoOp. Close by are public toilets and a car park. This is where we will meet up at the end of Route 1.
  2. Fuel - Lix Toll on the A85 before you turn down to Killin is the last fuel top from the West. Coming from the East there is a Jet Station in Aberfeldy.
  3. Camp 1 (56°31.543'N, 4°16.544'W) on the Friday night is high up above Loch Tay near Ben Lawers surrounded by Munros. This camp can be in the clouds and can be chilly. Sometimes Midges!
    The ground is a mix of rocky outcrop and grassy heath. For those in vans or with roof tents please stick to the rocky parking to allow those with ground tents to pitch on the grass. There is limited or no phone signal There are sheep roaming so please keep any dogs under control. We are good for fires but please use a fire pit and leave no trace and there are no toilet facilities so please come prepared.
  4. Camp 2 (56°41.540'N, 4°23.804'W) is a parking area on the shores of Loch Rannoch on a road that leads to no where. Currently no restrictions on overnight stays and it has not been blocked off like other areas (at least not 2 weeks ago). We may be sharing this with others. The car park is split into 2 sections with 2 different entrances. We can make the decision on the day which we will use. Please do not drive on the grass and please let the ground tent campers pitch on the grass / sandy beach. We can have a small fire. I would suggest we have it on the rocky area at the waters edge. Again leave no trace. There are bins but no toilets so again come prepared and take it away with you.
  5. Route 1 from Camp 1 over into Glen Lyon then round into Glen Lochay and into Killin has weight 7.5T restrictions and Width 7.6ft restrictions. This is some great scenery for the Drone Flyers and photographers. The road from Pubil to Kenknock is badly pot holed in places and is no longer maintained as it was built to help build the Hydro Dams etc. There are gates on this road that are mostly closed but I have never seen them locked. Please ensure the gates are closed behind you. (See photos).
  6. Route 2 retraces our steps over past Camp 1 back into Glen Lyon but this time driving east. There is a chance to stop at the Fortingall Yew if you are interested estimated by modern standards to be on average 5000 years old. The rest of the route winds through the Breadalbane Region past Schiehallion a 3553 ft Munro said to be the centre of Mainland Scotland on on to Kinloch Rannoch where we turn east along the Loch Rannoch to reach Camp 2.
  7. Route 3 is a chance to head to the end of the road and Rannoch Station where we can enjoy Tea and cakes from the Station Tea Room. This is a popular tourist destination and worth a visit. At this point you are only 17 miles from Glencoe but to reach it you have to cross the often inhospitable Rannoch Moor.

Attachments

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
For those not doing the 3 Lochs Forest Drive early Friday the meet up point for the RP is Camp 1 (56°31.543'N, 4°16.544'W)

No cell service or limited at best so those with a CB Radio Channel 7 will be on.

Any questions or concerns give me a shout.

as the camp spots are first come first served we may need to "readjust" if they are already taken so be flexible.