Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Propane is a fossil fuel..... anything burning fossil fuels produces Carbon Monoxide... period.
What counts is how you vent it.

Cannot believe the ignorance out there.
and that describes perfectly the situation of every CO poisoning camping fatality

Thank you for starting with "I think"..... or not.

yeah, cannot believe the hundreds of videos out there with a CO monitor in an enclosed, non-ventilated space showing zero measurable CO in the air. Because proof like that is clearly made up, people are obviously tampering with CO detectors for these tests, right? Firefighters who say they are 100% safe are clearly lying because they want people dying, right?

no one here is saying run it without venting or to run it while sleeping, maybe if you read the thread you will see that.
Stop fear-mongering and making a non-issue like it's something that kills thousands of people a year. Mr. Heater buddy heaters will not kill you. Not to mention the built-in safety switch that will shut the unit off far before any ill effects will take place. But yeah, we're all ignorant assholes who should disregard all the factual evidence that these heaters are fine to use as the OP intends to use it. Get off your high horse, or you might fall and bump your noggin.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Clearly we all worry about what is safe and effective for our cold weather camping adventures. I am building my off road trailer and want it to be able to use it safely in all 4 seasons out here in Colorado. While I've been working on it I have had plenty of time to research things, I have come to the conclusion the safest best option for my trailer will be a combustion furnace out on the tongue of the trailer, piped into the sleeping area. It would reduce the condensation as well as any fears of what could happen worst case scenario.

But minwhile as I'm taking my sweet time working on this thing, I still want to go out and winter camp. I see no reason why using a little buddy to take off the chill while I'm getting myself ready for sleep or waking for my daily activities. Except that the low oxygen safety switch renders it useless up above 8 thousand feet in elevation (it's even stated on the box as such) where the air is already thin. I'm sleeping in a -20 sleeping bag inside my rig, even without using a heater I need plenty of ventilation or I will experience condensation. I bought one of those little cubit heaters that doesn't have a oxygen sensor that while I'm getting situated before and after a night's rest. It takes enough of the chill for me. I have a little buddy heater that has been gathering dust for years. I have never been able to use it where I go.

Last edited:

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I wasn't aware there was an epidemic of people killing themselves with Mr. Heaters. Could someone elaborate on this? Who is running a heater in a non ventilated, enclosed box? I'm going to guess that the OP has enough sense not to be running a heater in a box with no ventilation. Without a heater he might have to worry about a lack of oxygen first if he was hanging out im something without ventilation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rath and RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

As others have said be aware of the condensation even in 1/2 an hour it can be considerable
Considerable is by the eye of the beholder I guess.. 100,000 btuh produces .98 gallons of water per hour. Bring that down to using a 3800 btu heater for a 1/2hr.. Produces some yes. Considerable? Roughly < .02 of a gallon produced for the 1/2hr ( you produce .4 a gallon an hour breathing).

And no, I don't camp in a non-ventilated space...

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
the amount of tests that have been done, even by trained professionals, including firefighters, show the Mr heater heaters don't give off CO, Of course, it's good to have a monitor, but the amount of fear-mongering around them is a bit ridiculous.
As far as I can tell, the danger these heaters present in small spaces is not CO but rather lowering oxygen to an unsafe level. But that's a really easy problem to solve. Ventilate the space. And you'll want to do that anyways because of condensation.

I'm a pretty conservative guy when it comes to personal safety. I have no problem running one of these heaters inside our truck canopy.

bunger

Local Expert New England, USA
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southington CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

I use a Lil Buddy in my OzTent RV-4. It works well and I have more problem with condensation, not using it, than I do by using the heater.

Reactions: RJ Howell

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
here's a couple threads from last year where this has already been discussed in depth
mentioning condensation and CO is enough to send some people over the edge....kinda makes me want to buy several more! :grinning:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Anak

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

As far as I can tell, the danger these heaters present in small spaces is not CO but rather lowering oxygen to an unsafe level. But that's a really easy problem to solve. Ventilate the space. And you'll want to do that anyways because of condensation.

I'm a pretty conservative guy when it comes to personal safety. I have no problem running one of these heaters inside our truck canopy.
Yep.
I tested my buddy heater in my FJ... closed up.. with a CO detector.

The buddy heater shut itself off due to depleting the O2.... the CO detector did not activate at any point.

The ones jumping up and down spewing emotionally charged posts are ignored for a reason :smirk:

mansoorahmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Halton County, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mansoor
Last Name
Ahmed
Member #

I was looking into it recently. CO/CO2 is a concern with any heater, however I found that the diesel heater (2-8kw) does not suffer from CO problem. After watching plenty of video, i think it is a better option for camp heating. I will buy one soon and test it out.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@RJ Howell my note on condensation was my experience running in the back of my Disco, no one inside just taking the chill out before calling it a night about 45 minutes of run time. Sun roofs and window cracked, now it was a damp October day by a lake. But it was intended as more of a heads up rather than a reason not to use the heater.

Killer1954

Rank 0

Contributor I

SF Bay, California, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Bulleri
I have the "Portable Buddy" for my RTT. I turn it on for maybe 10 minutes before heading up to bed and run it for about 10 minutes before getting out of the sleeping bag in the morning. Love it. However, I've read, but never tested, that it doesn't work above 8,000 ft?
I've not experienced any condensation running it for such short periods of time.
The Portable Buddy is actually too much on Low to keep on, unless it was below freezing outside. In which case, I need a better sleeping bag, not a bigger heater.

Reactions: RJ Howell

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
the amount of tests that have been done, even by trained professionals, including firefighters, show the Mr heater heaters don't give off CO, Of course, it's good to have a monitor, but the amount of fear-mongering around them is a bit ridiculous.
Mine did/does. I have a Drager CO detector hanging in the Jeep. After about 20 minutes of running in my closed up XJ it was 1)very hot in there, hotter than I would ever like and 2) the Drager showed about 15ppm CO.

When myself and my daughter went on a trip to NM I ran it in the Jeep to get us warmed and and planned on shutting it off before bed. I fell asleep while we were watching a cartoon on the tablet and woke up to a very warm Jeep and my Drager CO monitor beeping at me on the low 1st stage alarm and it was showing 35ppm CO. It took quite a while to get to that point though.

While I think the threat is low they most certainly produce CO.

OP I have the little buddy heater, I assume the one pictured below is what you are talking about. I like it quite a bit. Doesn't take up nearly as much space as the big one and gets the job done for me and my wife is a cold weather wuss.

Reactions: grubworm

mansoorahmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Halton County, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mansoor
Last Name
Ahmed
Member #

We're in the extended season here in NH. Getting much colder in the mornings! I'm seriously debating one of those 'Little Buddy' heaters to take the chill off in the morning. 3800 BTU seems about right to get the temp up fairly quickly in my 330 cubic foot cabin space. Or it seems like it should.. It claims to run 5.5hrs on a bottle and with the hoes of only running about a 1/2hr in the am, should work out fairly well.

Anyone use one? How do you like it? Performing as hoped?
I was looking at the Buddy heater but decided to go with the 5KW diesel heater/furnace. Fuel consumption was one of the major factor in my decision. From what I understand a 2.5 gallon tank lasts for 6-8 days on low setting. It requires a 12V battery to power the fan and thermostat. It can be mounted on the roof rack or setup on the ground, while you enjoy the warmth inside the Vehicle or RTT. I ordered a 5KW unit, it is probably an overkill but it was cheaper than the 2KW unit.

Reactions: Downs

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I was looking at the Buddy heater but decided to go with the 5KW diesel heater/furnace. Fuel consumption was one of the major factor in my decision. From what I understand a 2.5 gallon tank lasts for 6-8 days on low setting. It requires a 12V battery to power the fan and thermostat. It can be mounted on the roof rack or setup on the ground, while you enjoy the warmth inside the Vehicle or RTT. I ordered a 5KW unit, it is probably an overkill but it was cheaper than the 2KW unit.
Which one?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Which one?
Found this...along with some listed on Amazon. Just search diesel tent heater.

and an update:

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch