Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I have seen rigs with cables on the front end of other vehicles and didn't know what they were for, until I was on the trail in some heavily wooded sections. Now I understand the need and am planning to install them. If you're using limb risers I would appreciate any helpful suggestions as to what works best and what to avoid.

Reactions: mattarm

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
We looked at building our own but by time we priced everything and would have had it sent to us and built it our trip would have passed so we purchased the Smitty Built set. The hood mounts worked fine but we had to engineer a roof set due to our roof rack and the fact i didn't want to drill into the a-pillar. They work fine and its funny to watch people in parking lots try to figure out what they are.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Check with a marine supply store. I've seen most of the hardware on those web sites and you know everything is corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland USA

BritKLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0322.JPG I've had on my 87 for years. They have come in handy when in the tight brush. The cable and clips are stainless steel and sourced from West Marine. The Clamps on the ARB were fabbed up from clamps used on shaft driven equipment. The only issue I've had was on real rough rocky trails when the frame twists it'll put a huge amount of tension on the cable, snapping the cable. Heavy springs would correct that issue. Good luck.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
We looked at building our own but by time we priced everything and would have had it sent to us and built it our trip would have passed so we purchased the Smitty Built set. The hood mounts worked fine but we had to engineer a roof set due to our roof rack and the fact i didn't want to drill into the a-pillar. They work fine and its funny to watch people in parking lots try to figure out what they are.
You have to love stumping the city dwellers.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Not just the city folk. I had a set of 33x10.50 boggers on a ranger i had and a ole timer in NC wanted to know how i got tractor tires on my truck.

CDE

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mount Pleasant, TX
Member #

I know this is an older post, but does anyone know if the Smittybilt kit can be extended up to a roof rack on a Jeep? In other words, is there enough cable? I may end up going the DIY route but just curious.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I know this is an older post, but does anyone know if the Smittybilt kit can be extended up to a roof rack on a Jeep? In other words, is there enough cable? I may end up going the DIY route but just curious.
I do not believe the turnbuckle would extend long enough to work. I would honestly go the DIY route to begin with.

Reactions: CDE

CDE

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mount Pleasant, TX
Member #

And with that being said, does anyone know of a comprehensive build thread using springs? I want to eliminate any chance of them snapping from flex as I do a lot of rock climbing as well.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
And with that being said, does anyone know of a comprehensive build thread using springs? I want to eliminate any chance of them snapping from flex as I do a lot of rock climbing as well.
If you can find a spring rated for a desired weight, it would be easy to incorporate that in the line to allow some give with the tension, if desired. My only concern would be too much give when rising limbs and not protecting in the manner it was intended.

Reactions: CDE

CDE

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mount Pleasant, TX
Member #

If you can find a spring rated for a desired weight, it would be easy to incorporate that in the line to allow some give with the tension, if desired. My only concern would be too much give when rising limbs and not protecting in the manner it was intended.
I share the same concern. Hoping someone has already gone this route and found an adequate spring to use.