Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So i have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler sport 4dr and i has just put a set of falken wildpeak a/t tires on it 285/70/17. With a bigger tire then factory I’ve been window shopping 2”-2.5” lifts but me not knowing anything about lift kits idk what to look for or what is good or what is bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The picture attached is a kit from rancho I’m considering but not sure about
I've installed a Rubicon express 2,5" lift kit with their remote reservoir shocks and added front lower controlarms for caster correction and their adjustable front trackbar. Also added the metalcloak bumpstops and I'm driving the same tire size than you.
Over all still affordable kit and performs very well so far, no bumpstop extension needed with this tire size, got masses of uptravel and really good flex out of it, drives way better than stock and handles payload much better.
It's also my daily but the adjustable shocks work very well, easy to adapt the compression to the variable load.
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Edit: in my opinion, aev isn't worth the money, the bilstein shocks are weak and the springs/shock pairing causes specific problems. Comfortable unloaded jeep on road, but quickly at the limit if loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamw1212

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

I've installed a Rubicon express 2,5" lift kit with their remote reservoir shocks and added front lower controlarms for caster correction and their adjustable front trackbar. Also added the metalcloak bumpstops and I'm driving the same tire size than you.
Over all still affordable kit and performs very well so far, no bumpstop extension needed with this tire size, got masses of uptravel and really good flex out of it, drives way better than stock and handles payload much better.
It's also my daily but the adjustable shocks work very well, easy to adapt the compression to the variable load.
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Edit: in my opinion, aev isn't worth the money, the bilstein shocks are weak and the springs/shock pairing causes specific problems. Comfortable unloaded jeep on road, but quickly at the limit if loaded.
Is that their mono tube shock or the kit that comes with the fox resi shocks?

1ericraber

Rank 0

Contributor I

Plain City, Ohio
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Raber
Definitely run the icon lift if you can afford it! If not, aev is really good too, run their geometry correction brackets, it makes the ride way better! Metal cloak also has good stuff along with geometry correction brackets. Be sure to get an adjustable track bar, don't use the extension bracket that cheap lifts come with, it creates nasty bump steer, synergy and steersmarts both make high quality steering parts and track bars.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Rubicon Express has a few different options for shocks but won't use Fox in one of their kits. They have their "twin tube","monotube" which are re-branded bilstiens, remote res shocks and coil overs.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Can't access their website at the moment so I leave you this link here.
These are the shocks I have, together with the standard linear springs.
Linear springs are beneficial when working with varying weight, together with adjustable compression it's a good compromise.
I missed to make a comparison picture with the standard monotube shocks but you have my word, they are twice as strong as the bilstein, especially the rod is much thicker and stronger. And as of how it looks they are completely serviceable and probably made by radflo.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Certified Mopar Tech here who does all the lift installs at our shop. Rancho is bottom of the line stuff. You WILL blow those shocks in a couple years.

I install more Mopar lift kits than anything else because since we are a dealer we offer a dealer warranty on parts and labor.

Teraflex and ICON Vehicle Dynamics will he top of the line.
What do you think about the teraflex performance leveling kit? It would be paired with fox shocks.
I think it adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear.

I also have 285 70 17, but with wheel spacers. I have rubbed once when going a little fast on a bumpy dirt hill, but never while turning.