Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

So i have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler sport 4dr and i has just put a set of falken wildpeak a/t tires on it 285/70/17. With a bigger tire then factory I’ve been window shopping 2”-2.5” lifts but me not knowing anything about lift kits idk what to look for or what is good or what is bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The picture attached is a kit from rancho I’m considering but not sure about IMG_2417.JPG

Reactions: MazeVX

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I would talk to a reputable shop. What you are looking at there is at the lowest end of suspensions. If that is what you want to spend then fine. But with suspensions you get what you pay for big time! Look on YouTube you can learn alot!

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Might I recommend Icon/Fox/King. I personally have Icon. Icon or King is what I would be looking at. Not a cheap investment. Probably the biggest part of a build.

Reactions: Adamw1212

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

What are you looking to get out of the lift? How do you use the Jeep (is it your daily driver too)? Are you currently having tire-rubbing issues? All of these are important questions. Luckily, or unluckily, you have probably THE most popular 4wd platform EVER. That's great because any part you could possibly imagine is available for it - but it's bad because it can lead to paralysis through analysis with all the options that are out there. With a little better idea how you use it we might have better suggestions. However, I will say at that price-point really "it's worth a try." You might find you don't like the ride as much and such, but at least you won't have a ton invested in it. I'd say 2-2.5" is the max I'd even consider before you get adjustable track bars and perhaps mid-arms.

-TJ

Reactions: MMc

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

What are you looking to get out of the lift? How do you use the Jeep (is it your daily driver too)? Are you currently having tire-rubbing issues? All of these are important questions. Luckily, or unluckily, you have probably THE most popular 4wd platform EVER. That's great because any part you could possibly imagine is available for it - but it's bad because it can lead to paralysis through analysis with all the options that are out there. With a little better idea how you use it we might have better suggestions. However, I will say at that price-point really "it's worth a try." You might find you don't like the ride as much and such, but at least you won't have a ton invested in it. I'd say 2-2.5" is the max I'd even consider before you get adjustable track bars and perhaps mid-arms.

-TJ
My Jeep is my daily driver. I’m not really having rubbing issues until i turn real sharp. My goal for my build is to keep it a daily driver but i also want it to be a weekend warrior. Something i can load up and camp out of. I’ve folded down the back seats and slept out of it before so I’d probably just continue to do that. I never planned on going higher then a 2.5” or even 35” tires (mine are 33s right now) part of me wants that lift just to get it sitting a little high because I’m planning a trip to Tennessee in July but i understand what people mean about doing it right the first time

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

Might I recommend Icon/Fox/King. I personally have Icon. Icon or King is what I would be looking at. Not a cheap investment. Probably the biggest part of a build.
I was looking at icon and aev also but they are both pretty pricey and the smallest icon lift i can find is 3” and I’m trying to keep the center of gravity low

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Certified Mopar Tech here who does all the lift installs at our shop. Rancho is bottom of the line stuff. You WILL blow those shocks in a couple years.

I install more Mopar lift kits than anything else because since we are a dealer we offer a dealer warranty on parts and labor.

Teraflex and ICON Vehicle Dynamics will he top of the line.

Reactions: Outdoordog

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The AEV stuff is good quality, and I believe they carry a warranty on their parts. They're running Bilstein shocks (supposedly with their own valving...) which have been a perennial favorite for a DD/weekend off-roader shock (I run them on my WJ and really like them). It's not that I'd say the AEV is "not as good" as Icon, Evo, etc. just that it's a different kit with different purposes in mind. I do like that the AEV kit appears to include at least one track bar. As @Seanm26 pointed out the Mopar lift is very popular, and if you have a dealer install it it doesn't impact your warranty (though, as a 2016 you are probably about at the end of the warranty anyway). The thing I don't like about the Mopar, the Rancho you listed, and other 2-2.5"s is that they don't include track bars. When you lift the Jeep the factory track bar will force the axle off to the side a bit (not a ton w/ a 2.5" lift... and obviously Jeep thinks it's acceptable for a dealer-installed lift) which could cause tire clearance and other issues. On top of that, the leverage is increased on the track bar, so a stronger unit with higher durometer and/or heims is a good way to avoid death-wobble and other problems. Heims/johnny joints/etc. will be noisier though, so that's something to consider if you go that route.

-TJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanm26

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Agreed with what TJ said! Regardless of what lift you get I highly suggest getting an upgraded track bar if it does not come with one.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Anyone have any opinions on the aev 2.5” lift?
AEV is one of the best engineering firms out there. I would not hesitate to buy anything AEV. My TJR has their HighLine.
The only other line I'd seriously consider is the Mopar kit.

Rubicon Express is another pretty high quality lift which I have used years ago on my YJs.

Reactions: Adamw1212

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

lift kits .....
its going to : squeak , rattle , hard to align , brake a part , very danger in case of accident ,
many aftermarket garbage floating on websites .
factory lift ...difrent story .
search very carefully , read pros and cons , and listen to your "inner voice"
and remember what older guys saying .if its not broken .....you know the rest ! :expressionless:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Terraflex, Rubicon Express, and BDS are better quality than OEM. But you'll pay for it.

That said, there may still be some foibles with those kits still. If it was easy, everyone.......

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I installed the 2" Mopar on my 2020 Gladiator yesterday, in my driveway by myself.

Everything about it fits like it is OEM, because it is, I like that.

Absolutely would buy again.

Here is yours: $1201.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I run a 3.5 inch AEV on my JKU and love it (35 inch tires and manual tran). So I would look there. I am seriously considering Icon for my Raptor and hear really good things as well.

Think hard on how you use it and look for kits that fit that need. Some are for rock crawling, some for high speed and others for overlanding type work so start there I would think. That is why I chose AEV-daily driver with long trips and camping in rougher terrain, but not really what I call rock crawling.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I usually recommend AEV for Jeeps because they make great stuff. They re-use factory control arms so you keep the factory bushings which reduce road vibration, and actually increased drivability with the geometry correction brackets. A lot of people complain about the brackets being a hang up point but they don't sit any lower than the fuel tank skid plate.
That being said if you are looking for a more offroad based lift i would definitely look at Teraflex and the falcon shocks.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Anyone have any opinions on the aev 2.5” lift?
The Dualsport kit is intended to handle middle to heavyish loads. Bumpers, roof rack, winch, RTT... without breaking down quickly or drooping.

Upsides are a loyal fanbase and plenty of spares sunning around. (like me)
AEV products are developed by the same engineer who helped develop the/ JK platform OEM suspensions.
They actually go through legitimate R&D on all products.
Its what I run with the AEV tuned Bilstein 5100 shocks. Only upgrade I have not done and need too is a AEV tuned Helwig rear sway bar to reduce roll when I pull my trailer.