Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Hello all,

Just starting out with my 2011 LX570. I'm hoping to build a rig that will take me (and my wife and/or kids occasionally) on some great adventures. I will not be building a rock crawler or mudder. Simply something that is reliable and will get to those places that are off the beaten path. I suspect this project will take several years due to time and budgetary constraints. The end game for me is that over the next few years I will learn:
  • Enough about my vehicle to be able to repair most things myself
  • Overlanding skills sufficient to provide for efficient travel and camping
  • What equipment is, and more importantly perhaps, what equipment is NOT necessary for long term overlanding
  • Non-overlanding skills that will help ensure enjoyable experiences. Things like kayaking, fishing, hiking, mountain biking.
I want to retire in 10 years or less and I want experience building the right rig and skills for my travels post-retirement.

Currently, my rig is completely stock (see below)with the exception of the remote starter I installed myself. I

I'm planning on getting some new rims and tires in the next week or two. My choices are the Icon Sixspeed 17" rims and the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, LT285/70R17. I know this is not the most aggressive AT tire out there but I think for the next several years, 98% of the time the tires will be on a paved road and I've heard these tires behave well and are quieter than most AT's.

My next MOD will be the license plate "LXPDTION". :smile:

The name of my build thread is a nod to the folks over at Expedition Overland. Watching their series on Amazon really re-ignited a burning desire for adventure that I'd long buried to raise kids and build a career.

Thank you for checking in on me.

Prebuild_01.jpgPrebuild_02.jpg

BigMF

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Have been learning to do my own maintenance. Huge shout out to the folks at #iH8MUD. Everyone there has been extremely helpful and it is a fountain on knowledge, especially if you have a vehicle that is more common.

Have changed my own oil for the first time in 30 years, flushed the AHC suspension fluid, and flushed the rear differential. Moving on to front diff, transfer case, brake fluid, power steering, and transmission fluid soon. Was quoted over $2000 for the 120,000 mile service at the Lexus dealership and am doing it all myself for a few hundred dollars in supplies and a couple hundred in new tools :grinning: that I'll be able to use for a long term. Love telling my wife that I'm able to save money by buying new tools.

MZRoamer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Middle TN
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Z
Nice start to your build man! I looked long and hard at the LX's before picking up my 200 series LC. You should look into the AHC mod on iH8mud... I think you can "trick" the sensors to give yourself an extra .5 to 1 (ish) inch of clearance on the highest setting, and it does't cost you a thing!

Where do you go wheeling/offroading/camping?