Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

Whats everyone's preferred method of making coffee while out? I have pretty much stuck to instant...but I am looking at a french press so I can start making real coffee.
Any other suggestions? Best bang for the buck on presses?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Whats everyone's preferred method of making coffee while out? I have pretty much stuck to instant...but I am looking at a french press so I can start making real coffee.
Never liked cleaning up french presses, so I just use a pourover with paper filters. No mess, no fuss, just boil water and get and great coffee. Takes no longer than ony other method. I like it so much I use it at home now too.

Just make sure you use good coffee,

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I use a percolator as I can make 3 or 4 cups at once.

When finished, just dump the grinds in the trash, rinse the basket with a bit of water and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Easiest method for me.

IMG_0710.jpg

Reactions: justafish

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

French press!!!!!!!! I have one made from l
Polycarbonate or something. Had it for 20 years of coffee making in the woods, power outages, work trips, fire camps .............

Reactions: shocwav3

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Never liked cleaning up french presses, so I just use a pourover with paper filters. No mess, no fuss, just boil water and get and great coffee. Takes no longer than ony other method. I like it so much I use it at home now too.

Just make sure you use good coffee,

My Go-To as well! Super easy, tastes the same as making at home in a coffee maker. Simple and effective. Not sure why people try and get all complicated with camping coffee.

Reactions: Sneaks

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I know this won't answer your question and I'm sure others will chime in. I personally prefer cold brew. We've found that cold brew can be purchased at most grocery stores in 48oz containers with or without cream.

Its loaded with caffeine, lives in the cooler, and saves me from having to carry the hardware to brew my own.

Also helps when you need a quick get out of camp in the AM to keep a tight schedule.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I have one of these - Commuter JavaPress

Makes a decent brew and stays warm for a reasonably long time. I used to grind my own beans and do a pourover with a Hario dripper but that was too much of a faff. I still do that at home, but not on the trail.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Starbuck's Via when I camp. It's the only time I drink instant.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

PERK! I don't perk at home, but I do love the taste of a percolator cup it is just the best. In Mexico, they use a cloth bag set inside a boiling pot of water it works well too, just invert the bag with a splash of water to clean.

Last edited:

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Pour overs are so convenient, no waste of water and super quick. Built a fold down coffee station, holes hold my coffee cup and catch cup. Nice when its single digits out, just lean over and fire it up. Feet never touch the floor.

Owned a coffee shop for years, loved french presses but perks are good also. Just need a timer for that perfect cup.

Lucky I like it bitter and black.

IMG_8674.JPG
IMG_8678.JPG

shocwav3

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

A 3 Cup small Italian Greca like Bialetti is fast and makes a traditional tasty coffee!
Ahhh! Didnt even think of a espresso pot! Ive had this in my pantry forever...its the first thing an italian mother gives to her son when he moves out

shocwav3

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

Pour overs are so convenient, no waste of water and super quick. Built a fold down coffee station, holes hold my coffee cup and catch cup. Nice when its single digits out, just lean over and fire it up. Feet never touch the floor.

Owned a coffee shop for years, loved french presses but perks are good also. Just need a timer for that perfect cup.

Lucky I like it bitter and black.

View attachment 149358
View attachment 149359
Love that set up

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
My Go-To as well! Super easy, tastes the same as making at home in a coffee maker. Simple and effective. Not sure why people try and get all complicated with camping coffee.
Add me to the pour over clan. We lose power up here frequently in the winter, tried the french press for exactly one outage and put it away. Cleaning it is a colossal PITA. Beauty of the pour over is it fits on a pot or a mug, make only as much as you want using one device. Brought it and the propane burner in just the other day when we got 8" of heavy wet stuff and lost power.

d5.jpg

I also have a small Mr Coffee when there's shore power. I can run it off the inverter but that''s really a waste of electrons when the pour over is just as fast and makes more at one shot.

IMG_5101 (1).JPG

Reactions: Rath and shocwav3

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
My Coleman coffee maker is my one "luxury" item I pack for myself. I know there are set ups that pack down into smaller packages, but I like multiple cups of coffee in the morning and don't want to be tied to a percolator trying to get the timing right. My Coleman is just like my drip maker at home.

Reactions: Sneaks and shocwav3

shocwav3

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

Im a little embarrassed to say I didnt even know the pour over was a thing... glad I asked the question!

Reactions: Sneaks

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
there's a coffee thread on here already that is huge and quite a few folks were loving the Aeropress. I didn't think much of it until I saw one at Marshalls marked down to $9, so of course I bought it. Its basically a giant syringe with a filter on the end, but it made a surprisingly good cup of coffee. amazon has them for $30+ but for whatever reason, Marshalls had them for $9 and for that price, I'd say its a decent piece of kit. i have a stainless french press that i take camping and both seem to work equally well. i drink coffee for the caffeine and not so much for taste, so i really dont care how its made as long as i get that kick from it. if it somehow tastes like ass, ill just add cream and sugar until its drinkable. the aeropress is easy, push the plunger and then twist and remove the filter and toss it and it does seem to remove the bitterness better than french press.

Reactions: Things

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I really enjoy a mug of hot black coffee in the morning. Not so much for the kick, but for the flavor of a really fine mug of strong coffee. We have tried old fashioned percolators, first a large one , then a small one. Percolated, in my humble opinion, makes the very best coffee. It's how I brew my coffee at home. However, packing percolators with our gear just didn't work and believe me we tried all kinds of different ways. Cleaning percolators in remote camps is a complete pita. We tried Instant, which was horrible and expensive and now we have settled in on our second french press. We do/have camped in some pretty cold weather so the first plastic french press didn't keep the coffee hot for very long at all. Two years ago I picked up the Stanley french press/travel mug. Its easy to clean and packs easily. At camp I'll pour off enough to fill my cup and the remainder stays hot for a second cup, for after breakfast.
images.jpg