Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

At home my wife uses a traditional Breville espresso maker. Fortunately it was a gift ($600!). I use Bialetti Moka Stovetop Espresso Maker when I camp. Is it the easiest? No. Easiest cleanup? No. But when you are a coffee snob like me, it makes a difference in the quality of coffee.

Reactions: zony

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Percolater's don't require perfect timing if you use the proper amount of coffee. :smile:
Very true! I’ll often allow mine to perk for 15, 20, or more minutes. Never bitter, just good strong black coffee.. one of my friends thinks I am a coffee snob as I will not drink Dunkin Donuts coffee because it is so horrible.. then he figured out that I drink my coffee black. He adds lots of creme and sugar. hell, Folgers tastes good with enough creme and sugar.. I will confess that I do occasionally add a bit of chocolate..

Reactions: Louiston

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Very true! I’ll often allow mine to perk for 15, 20, or more minutes. Never bitter, just good strong black coffee.. one of my friends thinks I am a coffee snob as I will not drink Dunkin Donuts coffee because it is so horrible.. then he figured out that I drink my coffee black. He adds lots of creme and sugar. hell, Folgers tastes good with enough creme and sugar.. I will confess that I do occasionally add a bit of chocolate..
Agree, Dunkin Donuts coffee is the absolute worst! I wouldn't drink coffee if that was the only option, and I love my coffee. I have a buddy that swears it is the best coffee on the planet but ......... on a recent trip to Death Valley he sure was drinking a lot of my coffee.
I always find it interesting what different people consider what method is easiest to clean up. You mentioned that a percolater was a PITA, and I think presses are a PITA. Different opinions are a wonderful thing, it's what makes the world go round. :smiley: And it gives us all those options!

Reactions: MOAK and shocwav3

mv213

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I like 4-5 cups in the morning. This insulated french press from Stanley makes just enough for me and it’s not too bad to clean. Stays hot at least a couple of hours, too.

Last edited:

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
I'm a french presser as long as I'm not backpacking, and I have to agree it can be a real PITA to clean, but I recently learned to use a small sifter to empty it out. Just fill the press with water and drain it through the sifter. Not a water-efficient method by any means but it makes clean up so much faster than scraping out the grounds, and there's probably some way you can reuse some kind of water to make it a little less wasteful.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I do Greek coffee. As far as gear goes it's as easy as it gets, as far as making it it's anything but fast or easy. I actually like that to make a good cup of Greek coffee you need to wait and be mindful of the coffee as it cooks. It helps to get the brain working or clear by focusing on a slow paced mundane task.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
We just use the good old enamel percolator either on the fire or a stove. It's been the only method we have used. The wife bought a french press a year or two back and we have yet to take it with or try it out.

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Grind the dark roast beans at home, brew strong and long in the insulated French press, enjoy black. Delightful

FJ60TX

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Taylorville, IL, USA
First Name
Jace
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

French press is the best. Make french press coffee on weekends at home when have extra time in the mornings.

In the kitchen box we have the little GSI french press. It makes about 2 cups each time. Don't try to scrape the grounds directly after. use. Add just a little water back in for cleanup.

Reactions: RideFlyDiveJeep

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I have been doing pour over Peets for decades. I am not overlanding yet - major lifestyle change will be happening soon. To that end I am trying a Presto gizmo that uses kcups. I am supposed to drink decaf now (not the major lifestyle change I was referring to) and have some compostable kcups. I am still adapting to the system but very happy with the flavor and the lack of stuff - just the Presto and a bag of kcups. Makes coffee faster than pour over with even less mess.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I use a percolator as I can make 3 or 4 cups at once.

When finished, just dump the grinds in the trash, rinse the basket with a bit of water and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Easiest method for me.

View attachment 149330
Yep! Here's another one for the percolator! At home and when camping. I think I even have the same one.

Attachments