Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
If you are like me, you have an EVAP system in your rig. Even if you're not like me, you still have one, unless you are one of those cool Rivian or F150 Lightning folks or are driving something made before the 70s. If you are also like me, you know jack sh*t about the nitty gritty details of the EVAP system. For the last 18-24 months or so I've been chasing down a mysterious (to me) issue with my Jeep JKU's EVAP system. This thread might be part informative, part inquisitive, and most likely an EVAP therapy support group.

This thread might be especially relevant if you have a JKU with a Genesis Offroad Dual Battery setup and/or a Long Range America expedition auxiliary fuel system.

First off, what is the EVAP system. The EVAP system captures fuel vapor instead of letting the fuel vapors escape into the atmosphere. The vapor is captured in a sort of Ghostbuster's containment unit called the "EVAP canister" or "charcoal canister". Eventually, the canister collects enough vapor that it needs to be purged, at this point, some valves are moved around automagically by the PCM, and the vapor is shipped to the engine to be burned off.

Here's a picture i found of a typical evap system. look at it. wow. so cool. ... wait, is that urine in the gas tank?
Screenshot 2024-01-17 085742.png

The primary pieces relevant to my journey so far are:
2) Leak Detector Pump / Evap Valve (normally open)
3) Evap canister
8) Purge Valve / Purge Solenoid (normally closed)
Uncredited Performance) Fuel filler cap (normally closed)

These are kind of the heart and soul of the evap system. When the canister (3) needs to be purged, the purge valve (8) and the evap valve (2) are both opened to create a drinking straw where the engine vacuum sucks the vapors from the canister through the purge valve into the engine's intake manifold, and the open evap valve on the other end allows clean fresh air to be pulled through the canister to replace the icky vapors. if any part of this straw is not working, things go bad. I should also note that this "straw" is sometimes closed on both ends by the PCM to either create a vacuum or to pressurize the tank, and again, if any valves are not working properly, this can lead to leaks. All modern gas engines also have leak detection capability. If any part of this system is unhealthy, you're likely to get poor engine performance, and eventually error codes and a check engine light.

Since I first started noticing an issue, I've received a number of OBD-II codes, here's the ones that I can recall seeing for sure:

P0454 P0456, P0440, P0455, P0442: evap leak detected - specific code describes what type of leak
P0171, P0174: fuel mix too lean (bank 1, bank 2)
P0172, P0175: fuel mix too rich (bank 1, bank 2)
P0411: incorrect purge flow
P0401: insufficient exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow

I have had the joy of experiencing nearly all of those.

Now it's time for the backstory of my experience, since it started small, got worse, and then got really really bad to the point where we were regularly stranded on the side of a highway or in the middle of nowhere down a trail. Thankfully (in m case, at least) letting the vehicle sit turned off for an hour or so usually got us back moving again, but in the worst case we had, we were stuck on the side of a highway (my wife and i and our three kids) for about 3 hours in the dead heat of the AZ summer. not fun. here's a pic.
Screenshot 2024-01-17 102711.png

The issue was always worse the hotter it got or the higher we went up the mountains. The absolute worst case scenario was when we would fill up on the desert floor (~2500ft elevation) on a hot summer day (~110F) and then with full fuel tanks we would drive up to the top of a sky island (~8-10k ft elevation). The full tanks meant less room for vapor to expand, and the heat made the vapor vaporize faster. This was an almost guaranteed recipe for us to get stuck with an evap issue.

The first time i noticed any issue with the evap system was when we got a small evap leak code (P0456) and a CEL, this was years ago. I looked up the code, saw people pointing to the garbage evap leak detector pump that comes on Chrysler vehicles, so $40 and literally two minutes of work to swap it out, the problem was solved (on the Wrangler it is incredibly easy to replace, no tools required). Here in AZ, our trails are exceptionally dusty since we never see rain, so I suspected the dust clogged up the mechanism and killed it. Seemed to be consensus from a few other people I talked to in the area who also had the same issue as well.

Next up was driving back from Overland Expo in Sept 2021. This is when i believe, in hind sight, that my major evap issues really started up. I started noticing while driving from Flag back down to Tucson that whenever my RPMs would increase past about 2500 RPM that there was a momentary stutter and lag in the engine. It happened probably 25% of the time my RPMs went past 2500 or so. The trip up to Flag had been our traditional "Expo the hard way" with the Herd of Turtles where we drive about 160 miles of dirt from Phoenix to Flagstaff to get to expo. I remember it being a much dustier trip than typical, so we were basically driving in a non-stop haboob for three days.

It was literally this for 160 miles, the wild flowers were amazing at least:
Screenshot 2024-01-17 104347.png

A few months after this, we started noticing that when we would roll up to camp, if I left the jeep idling while i was disconnecting and leveling the trailer and such, when it was time for me to hop back into the jeep to move it i would give it gas and then it would immediately stall out. Typically no CEL, and no OBD-II codes. If i let it sit for 10-15 minutes, it would run just fine again. Wasn't a big enough hassle so I would just kinda shrug my shoulders and think "that was strange, oh well, back to ignoring the fact that there might be a problem"

Around the same time, we would almost always notice the smell of fuel vapor when rolling up to camp, and sometimes if i loosened the gas cap, i could hear pressure releasing from the tanks. interesting, probably related, but nonetheless, no codes and no CEL meant "dear brain: don't worry about this. surely the truck will tell me when there's an actual issue by illuminating the CEL"

Eventually this was happening on every trip.

To complicate the matter, around this same time, I started having some issues with my MAF sensor and my cam position sensor. my MAF was super dirty so i cleaned that out solving that problem. The cam position sensor took a bit longer to investigate and troubleshoot. Have you ever taken your 3.6L Pentastar apart like 4 or 5 times? Yeah, me too, super fun! Eventually I discovered that my timing chain had stretched nearly a half-link, so I had the joy of nearly completely taking apart my engine and learning how to replace the timing kit. baptism by fire. I think I'm now officially a YouTube Certified Master Automotive Mechanic though, which is awesome.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 110025.png

Ok, anyway, back to the story. After the timing issue was all sorted, the evap issue was still a thorn in my side. For nearly two years now i had been tracking this issue down and bashing my head against a wall trying to figure it out with my very limited mechanic experience. It started as a grain of sand in my shoe, and by now it was starting to become a sharp piece of glass in my shoe. I was starting to note down symptoms and desperately searching Google for anybody having a similar problem. For future people googling, here's some food for the search engine so that they may find this thread and maybe find a solution to their problem, too.

The scenario that almost always produced the problem was a pretty long day of driving, either down the highway or down the trail, lots of long idling at any point. For us, we would typically idle the vehicle when at gas stations, for example, to keep the AC going for the kids and pets. Sometimes it would sit there idling for 30-45 minutes. The hotter the weather or the higher the elevation gain, the more likely we would see an issue, and a guaranteed way to have an evap issue was to think that i solved it, load my family up, and head out on a far away trip. The crankier the kids, the more likely.

The resulting symptom was always the same, at some point, the engine would start sounding really bogged down, severely loose power, and then within a couple of minutes, it would stall and not be able to start again. If we let it sit for an hour or so, it would eventually start up again, but often it was only a matter of time before it would stall back out 20 or 30 minutes later. Sometimes this would be accompanied by overpressurized fuel tanks, so cracking the gas cap would let a rush of pressure out, sometimes fuel would spray out with it. Lemme tell you, the wife and kids love nothing more than when i get back into the car smelling like Chris Farley after doing the gas station flashdance. I'm a maniac indeed.

I saw mention in one jeep forum about this exact scenario and the suggestions were to slightly crack the gas cap and leave it that way. Obviously that was not a permanent solution, but it did get us by for quite a while. The problem still became more and more common. A few months back while troubleshooting, we noticed we could recreate the issue by running the purge valve test on my OBDII scanner. This led me to investigate the purge valve more deeply, and that's when I found the first smoking gun!

to be continued, this is getting long as heck and i don't want to hit a character limit... brb

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
While looking into the purge valve, my memory immediately went to when I was installing my Genesis Offroad dual battery setup. On the JKU, part of the install includes cutting the evap purge line and retrofitting it with some 9.5mm rubber tubing in order to allow relocation of the purge valve itself. I traced the hose from the purge valve to the intake and FOUND A KINK! The hose gets burried a bit, so the kink wasn't obvious at all until i really dug in. I had installed my Genesis Offroad system about 5 years prior, and all that time in the AZ heat and engine compartment heat had deteriorated the hose, it has visible cracking and right where the cracking was the worst, it looks like the stiffness of the hose had been compromised, allowing it to fold on itself just enough to kink. This effectively meant that for who knows how long, the evap purge valve was stuck closed. Even though the valve was working totally fine (i bench tested it later) whenever the PCM instructed the evap system to purge vapors, the valve would open, but the kink would still block flow, so no vapors would actually be purged. As part of the purge, the fuel mixture would change since the air should now include fuel vapor. The engine would be expecting a richer mix, but the air flow from the purge valve was blocked, which would result in a fuel mix lean code on one or typically both engine banks.

I removed the kink, and was happy to have found the issue and solved it. After a lot of patting myself on the back, I confidently loaded my family into the truck the very next weekend and hit the trails!

Predictably, as soon as we got to dirt and started down the trail, the dang stalling issue showed up again. Fuel mix lean, CEL, and a couple of engine codes. I cracked the gas cap and sure enough, it started releasing pressure. Dang it. Instead of sitting there doing nothing while we waited for the evap system to normalize and be drivable again, we hooked a snatch strap to my buddies Tundra and he flat towed us down the trail so we could continue making progress toward camp.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 114832.png

Side note: it's a whole new experience rolling down the trails relatively silently. It was so relaxing and serene, it helped alleviate the sting of not having a fully functioning truck. I don't recommend breaking down on a trail, but if you do, convince a buddy to strap up and pull you along, roll down all the windows, and enjoy the wagon ride. At least it was a winter day here in Baja AZ, so it was a beautiful 65F. We would have been screwed if it was summer since no engine means no AC.

Right when we got back from that trip, I had enough. My mind now is thinking that the kink was the original cause, but since it was kinked for god knows how long, it probably caused some downstream issues, and potentially gummed up other parts of the evap system. I loaded up cousin Pookie's parts cannon (credit to Online Mechanic Tips on YT! Great source of Mopar mechanic info) and prepared to start blasting. I was done troubleshooting, and just decided to order all the major bits that i thought might have an issue - purge valve, canister, and leak detector pump. The total was "only" about $250 bucks, so it was worth it to my sanity to at least replace it all for good measure.

fPer1SO.jpeg

The parts all arrived yesterday and last night I went about replacing what I considered to be the major parts of the system the purge valve first, as soon as i took off the old one i bench tested it and it was fine. My heart sunk a little bit, while firing off the parts cannon I hoped to find at least one part that was definitely bad otherwise i would definitely be back at square one. One part down, two to go. I quickly popped off the leak detector / evap valve next and upon a quick inspection it looked to be in working order, although definitely very dusty. Dang, two parts down, one to go. I removed the one nut holding the canister in place, and as soon as I pulled it off, i could immediately tell it was considerably heavier than the new canister. Is this my smoking gun? only time will tell.

I wanted to confirm that it was indeed heavier, so i tossed both the old and the new on a scale I have in my shop and found quite a difference.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 120451.png
about 1.5 kilo for the new canister

Screenshot 2024-01-17 120504.png

nearly 2 kilos for the old canister! whoa, that's 30% heavier than the new one! Peeking into the hole where the evap vent connects, the filter inside was noticeably dirtier, obviously, and it looked like it was probably dust. Before I ordered the parts cannon ammo, I did some googling for symptoms of a clogged canister and it was all the same symptoms I had been seeing, and all the same symptoms that had been getting worse and worse. Rough idle, long start, poor engine performance, sh*t gas mileage (i mean, i get terrible mileage regardless, but it did seem even more sh*t than usual in the last year or so)

Do you have any experience, advice, or troubleshooting tips to share? Are you also having issues with your evap system? I know I've talked to a few other people here in AZ with very similar symptoms and I will be reporting my findings to them as well. I also called out in the first post that I have an LRA expedition fuel system, so perhaps the additional fumes from that mixed with our summer heat exacerbated the problem? Maybe it was primarily clogged up from that 160 mile trip of very very dustry trails? It makes sense to me that the canister could be the last bit causing my issue, since the kinked hose meant the canister was never getting cleaned with a purge.

I plan on taking the jeep out on an adventure (without the wife and kids) this weekend to stress test it a little bit. With any luck I won't see the issue return, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: wigsajumper

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Interested to hear the results of the stress test. Eventually I will be getting either a JK or a LC100/LX470 to replace the 4Runner and curious to see how this pans out.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The 4.7L Land Cruiser 100 is notorious for boiling fuel and generating a ton of vapor pressure (sometimes a dangerous amount of vapor), but will generally not trigger an EVAP code even if fuel is boiling out from behind the fuel fill cap... There is a very long thread on ih8mud discussing this in the LC100, with some guys insulating their fuel lines and even installing fuel coolers on the return line to the tank. Similar to your experience heat and heat + elevation change seems to exasperate the issue.

I've battled it myself and greatly reduced the excessive vapor pressure, but I have not eliminated it. The worse was after filling up with E10 fuel in Salida, Colorado then completing Hayden Pass (elv 10,700') in 100 degree temperatures. At the top of the pass fuel was gushing out of a new (properly functioning) fuel cap. The fuel tank then vented vapor for almost a 1/2 hour.

These are thoughts by several on ih8mud that believe these could, or contribute to, fuel vapor issues:
Cooling system: How much warmer does your engine get than the thermostat rating?
Catalytic Converter: Are your cats free from restriction?
Exhaust: Is your exhaust piping leak free and routed out the back of the vehicle?
Armor: How much armor coverage do you have under the vehicle? Can engine and exhaust heat easily escape before coming in contact with the fuel tank?
Fuel: Ethanol boils more easily than gasoline. Have you tried running alcohol free fuel?

I am currently running a LRA tank in my 100 series (40 gallon replacement) but I experienced vapor issues more often when the fuel system was stock. I have replaced the charcoal canister, every purge valve, hoses and the valves on the fuel tank. While I have had a reduction in fuel vapor, it still remains. After switching to Alcohol/Ethanol free gasoline, I rarely experience any fuel vapor pressure.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ooh, ok, lemme think on that list you provided here we go

Cooling: Engine temp gauge is never past center, it basically stays center the whole time, which I believe should be around 190-210F. Thermostat is rated at 195.
Catalytic Converter: Hmm, good question. I don't have a way in my shop to test this directly. I don't notice any smell, exhaust appears nominal. I wonder if it's worth using some cat cleaner for good measure.
Exhaust: The exhaust is leak free but routed right next to my AUX tank so that definitely increases vapor, especially in our AZ summers. There's an LRA-provided heat shield attached to the exhaust near the tank, but I also wonder if some header wrap or something on the pipes would help even more.
Armor: I have the JKU Rubicon which comes with a bash plate under the stock fuel tank and a bash plate under the transfer case. i currently do not have the little transfer case bash plate installed - not for any particular reason, i just pulled it off to do some work a while back and haven't put it back on yet.
Fuel: Interesting, maybe i will give this a try. Is this fairly easy to find at most gas stations?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Update!
Been a super busy last week and a half or so, but here's the update: I still have the issue :sob:

The stress test I put it through started off great. I put it through the worst case scenario, on the way to the trail there was a ton of stop and go traffic, lots of idling, yadda yadda. It took us about two hours of putzing through town/traffic to get to the trailhead, i left it idling on the trail as i got out and signed in to state trust land, walked around for a few minutes, then got back in the jeep and started up the trail. We made it about two miles down trail before it stalled out

This time was different though, or at least, i noticed something new, so maybe it was happening on previous stalls as well. When I got out of the jeep the surroundings were quiet enough that I could immediately hear the tank(s) bubbling.

Could that be vapor lock? I thought that was not a thing for fuel injection. I did touch the tops of the tanks and the hoses underneath and nothing seemed more than just kinda warm. When i opened the filler cap, a little bit of pressure was released, but not a lot.

There was another new mystery a couple of days later. I started the jeep up in the morning to head to my shop and immediately got a "GASCAP" warning on the dash and the small evap leak codes. my heart sunk and then a couple of days later while tidying up the parts i swapped out i noticed something...

20240126_125319.jpg

Why the hell are there two o-rings? I popped off the leak detector valve and realized i forgot to put the new o-ring on, doh!

after swapping that in and clearing codes i got rid of the gascap warning and the small leak codes.

Still have no solid ideas on what to try next to solve my issue. I've talked to a couple of people who have had similar problems that were resolved by replacing the fuel pump, so i may try that next.