Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Here are couple of mine that could use some love.. The one on top is a extreme ratio fulcrum 2 knife that I have had for over 6 years. I have abused this knife and it has performed solidly. Thr hardest part of this info is that the blade is 1/4" thick. In the past I have had to send it out to get professionally sharpened but prefer to do it in house now.

The second is my Jr's knife. It's sharp but nowhere near what it was when I first got it. I WA t to restore it back to its formal glory....

Thoughts?

-Raul

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm curious to know what you find out. I have a couple blades I'd like to restore. Have you posted the question on any of the blade forums? I don't know any specific ones, but I have come across them in the past.

Reactions: Raul B

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

In the field I use a small keychain sharpener made by Handy Sharp, It works miracles, it'll put a razor edge on a butter knife with just a dozen or so strokes. It sharpens serrated blades as well. I bought it at a gun show. At home I use a nice whet stone set up. I've included one of about 100 videos on You Tube about the Handy Sharp. It has always worked excellent for me!!

Reactions: ShawnR

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've had a Lanky System [LINK] since the '70s, or maybe early '80s. It's work fine for most blades. I have bought newer stones with the high tech materials to use on it, but overall, it has worked fine. I don't have many serrated blades, so I don't know how well it does them.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Thanks all. This is a subject I've been wondering about for a while. Too many blunt knives in my collection!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The lansky system is good. I have one at home. I also keep a smiths diamond stone in my bag for field sharpening.
What do you keep in your bag? As in, is it coarse or fine when in the field. I don't know a lot about sharpening, so I haven't really bought anything for the field. I know my blades are 1095 so I guess I can use a smooth stone and some water. lol

Reactions: Raul B

Advocate II

Depends on the state of the blade. If it still has a good edge but needs sharpened I use a 4 1/2" long ceramic rod, If its got nicks in the blade or flat spots I break out a stone long enough to get the edge back. Personally all I usually carry when in the woods is my ceramic rod. @ShawnR next time we get together bring one of your knives and Ill bring a ceramic rod, see if we can get it sharp again.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Depends on the state of the blade. If it still has a good edge but needs sharpened I use a 4 1/2" long ceramic rod, If its got nicks in the blade or flat spots I break out a stone long enough to get the edge back. Personally all I usually carry when in the woods is my ceramic rod. @ShawnR next time we get together bring one of your knives and Ill bring a ceramic rod, see if we can get it sharp again.
I have a ceramic rod with a stone. Someone bought it for me a few years ago but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. I'll try to remember to bring it. I may be using it wrong.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

x2 for Diamond whetstones
I have 180 grit to 1200 grit Diamond Wetstones they cut fast

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What do you keep in your bag? As in, is it coarse or fine when in the field. I don't know a lot about sharpening, so I haven't really bought anything for the field. I know my blades are 1095 so I guess I can use a smooth stone and some water. lol
I keep this in my bag.
One side fine and one side coarse. No water or lube necessary on these things. Good for a quick sharpening but I only use it in the field when my blade gets unbearable. I usually do it the long way with my Lansky set up, or if its one of my family heirloom knives I use a stone and oil so Grandad doesn't role over in his grave ;)

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ive got waterstones for the really nice blades, (kitchen knives, chisels, plane blades) and I use a lansky as well for the field knives. Lately I've been struggling with technique on my truly sharp knives. I need to pick up a better rolling guide for the kitchen knives as I get a good edge on it, then I seem to dull it again with the finer stones.

Technique and flatness are everything with the truly sharp edges.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Technique is key. Patience is vital in knife sharpening. If you want a truly sharp and strong edge you have to take your time. The best stones and method are nothing with poor technique.

Reactions: NorthStar96