Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

2013 RAM 1500 4x4 with Nitto 35s, home made bed rack with 200 watt solar on rack. I run an ARB Fridge in the truck .AEV lift, front bumper housing a 12500 lb warn winch, Firestone air bags Recently added a DECKED Drawer system. Pull a OGT Expedition 2.0 trailer. Trailer has separate solar system in case I want to leave a base camp and explore with truck.

Attachments

Sasquatch Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Hundley
Member #

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Recently upgraded from a Rebel 1500 to a Rebel 2500.
IMG_2898-small.jpg
The 1500 had a Vice Design front bumper & skids w/winch, Rocky Road sliders, tonneau cover - it just didn't have enough payload for our camper (it was at the limit when we loaded all our stuff in the truck with the camper hooked up).
IMG_2913 - small.jpg
Enter the new 2500 Rebel - the plans are simple for now = an RCI bed rack that works with the tonneau cover and a swing out toolbox (to help hold all of the stuff I had in the Ramboxes of the 1500 ((air compressor, straps, tools, dog stuff, first aid kit, e-tool, etc)). As we get out this spring we will see what else we think we need to do with it, so far the wife loves the power steps since they come lower for her and the dog to climb in but I'm more a fan of real sliders for protection...

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

This is Feb 4 2024 above Fresno waiting for the big snow storm and it came fast and heavy. We had to grab our gear under the snow and head out on the 9 miles of snow covered back roads. This much snow in just 3 hours. This is our Visalia CA OB group trip.

Attachments

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Recently upgraded from a Rebel 1500 to a Rebel 2500.
View attachment 270838
The 1500 had a Vice Design front bumper & skids w/winch, Rocky Road sliders, tonneau cover - it just didn't have enough payload for our camper (it was at the limit when we loaded all our stuff in the truck with the camper hooked up).
View attachment 270839
Enter the new 2500 Rebel - the plans are simple for now = an RCI bed rack that works with the tonneau cover and a swing out toolbox (to help hold all of the stuff I had in the Ramboxes of the 1500 ((air compressor, straps, tools, dog stuff, first aid kit, e-tool, etc)). As we get out this spring we will see what else we think we need to do with it, so far the wife loves the power steps since they come lower for her and the dog to climb in but I'm more a fan of real sliders for protection...
I have a Ram 1500 Rebel GT. I'm always very close to the max payload. In the past, I would go overland with my Jeep Wrangler. But any Wrangler owner, if honest, knows they don't make great long-distance vehicles. I love how my IFS Ram rides, and I don't want to give this up. I understand why you want with the 2500. I'm taking a little less logical approach; I'm going to increase the practical load-carrying capacity of my truck. I will not exceed the GVWR, but I can build it up to be safer at the Max.

I'm working on designing a Full Float kit for the AAM Chrylser 9.25 rear end on the 1500. I'm also working on modifications to add a TrueTrac Limited slip to the AAM Chrysler 8.25 front end. Since the plan is to run 34/35 inch tires, I will also regear to 4.56. None of these modifications exist today, so I must get very creative. I will do lots of 3D scanning and some CAD work in the future.

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a Ram 1500 Rebel GT. I'm always very close to the max payload. In the past, I would go overland with my Jeep Wrangler. But any Wrangler owner, if honest, knows they don't make great long-distance vehicles. I love how my IFS Ram rides, and I don't want to give this up. I understand why you want with the 2500. I'm taking a little less logical approach; I'm going to increase the practical load-carrying capacity of my truck. I will not exceed the GVWR, but I can build it up to be safer at the Max.

I'm working on designing a Full Float kit for the AAM Chrylser 9.25 rear end on the 1500. I'm also working on modifications to add a TrueTrac Limited slip to the AAM Chrysler 8.25 front end. Since the plan is to run 34/35 inch tires, I will also regear to 4.56. None of these modifications exist today, so I must get very creative. I will do lots of 3D scanning and some CAD work in the future.
That is a LOT of work since they don't make gears/anything for the front axle (yet)!
Sometimes with the trailer on, on forest service roads, I could tell the top of the box was almost an inch farther away from the body than the bottom... and that was with about 900lb tongue weight.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
That is a LOT of work since they don't make gears/anything for the front axle (yet)!
Sometimes with the trailer on, on forest service roads, I could tell the top of the box was almost an inch farther away from the body than the bottom... and that was with about 900lb tongue weight.
They make gears for the AAM Chrysler 8.25 IFS (aka ZF 215 IFS). You need a front end from an older Ram 1500 or a modified TrueTrac (the path I'm taking) to install them. 2019, they started using the problematic one-piece carrier/ring gear assembly. Per 3D scanning, the older 2012 to 2018 is the same IFS axle, but without the one-piece carrier. This will accept the gears that Yukon makes.

I will be the first 5th Gen Ram truck with a front limited-slip front end. I have the OEM Locker in the rear now. Once the full-float kit is installed, the truck will be built for the abuse I often put a vehicle through.

Reactions: DaveInCO