Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Here is my new 2019 Chevy Silverado Z71 Custom Trail Boss. View attachment 105600
How much do you like the Trail Boss? I am thinking about trading in my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and I'm torn between the new Rebel EcoDiesel and the GMC AT4 Duramax.

I like the idea of lift/tires from the factory (I have factory air suspension which is great but maintenance prices scare me), just curious on how it rides. Also, impressions of the G80 locker vs. a selectable locking rear diff information would be appreciated.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
G80 is rubbish. Sorry. It's an LSD with gov weights that lock it up during one wheel peel. If the one wheel peel is aggressive enough, it grenades, with alarming regularity. It's called the ''gov bomb'' for a reason. Go Dodge or get an Elocker, ARB, or Zip locker for the GM. If available.

Do you plan anything heavy like a camper or trailer? Consider an F250. Solid axle, locker friendly.

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Nope, I tow our RTT trailer at roughtly 1500 lbs loaded and tow my Vette when I go to racetracks/moving cross country. I've researched 3/4 ton vehicles, for what I will use it for 1/2 tons will be perfect. I have been leaning more towards the Ram Rebel EcoDiesel since it can be spec'd to tow 12K+ lbs. If I can get a spec that is e-locker and non-air suspension that can tow that, I will probably go with the Ram out of familiarity between my 2014 and it. Throw in the money for the MOPAR two inch lift and call it a day.

I just like the straight six with 10 speed drivetrain out of the GM twins better that the carbon graphite V6 of the 3rd GEN EcoDiesel.

Reactions: Bowtied13 and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nope, I tow our RTT trailer at roughtly 1500 lbs loaded and tow my Vette when I go to racetracks/moving cross country. I've researched 3/4 ton vehicles, for what I will use it for 1/2 tons will be perfect. I have been leaning more towards the Ram Rebel EcoDiesel since it can be spec'd to tow 12K+ lbs. If I can get a spec that is e-locker and non-air suspension that can tow that, I will probably go with the Ram out of familiarity between my 2014 and it. Throw in the money for the MOPAR two inch lift and call it a day.

I just like the straight six with 10 speed drivetrain out of the GM twins better that the carbon graphite V6 of the 3rd GEN EcoDiesel.

That's good as long as you stay there. I still give the Dodge an edge because it has a real locker and better suspension. Not to mention, that I think Dodge thinks higher of us than GM does.

Ignore tow specs on half tons. Don't let any of those specs sway your decision. None of the half tons can safely approach their tow rating in anything less than perfect conditions. If you ever plan on needing a 12k tow rating, go straight to a Ford or Dodger 3/4 ton. Generally, 6000# is my personal trailer limit with half tons. They don't meet MY safety standards at that point. It's not uncommon that my personal limits are exactly 1/2 of the ratings.

Today is perfect conditions, and I passed an F150 on the way home that was pulling a 25' TT, well within it's tow rating. Nearly on it's bumpstops and hardly able to maintain his lane at just 65mph. It was sad to see.

Take the 1/2 ton GVWR specs with a bag of salt as well.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That looks excellent. Are those the Bushwacker ''Extend a Fender'' flares??

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

G80 is rubbish. Sorry. It's an LSD with gov weights that lock it up during one wheel peel. If the one wheel peel is aggressive enough, it grenades, with alarming regularity. It's called the ''gov bomb'' for a reason. Go Dodge or get an Elocker, ARB, or Zip locker for the GM. If available.

Do you plan anything heavy like a camper or trailer? Consider an F250. Solid axle, locker friendly.
I have been looking at the ARB air locker and for my truck its possible, I spoke with ARB and they said the locker fits I just needed different bearings. I was going to switch to 4:10 gears but now I have to save for the locker and its not cheap

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I have been looking at the ARB air locker and for my truck its possible, I spoke with ARB and they said the locker fits I just needed different bearings. I was going to switch to 4:10 gears but now I have to save for the locker and its not cheap
With our 99 F250 I went with a Detroit Locker and 4:10 gears (2WD) and I love it. Total with parts and labor was $1,800 or so, just have to watch it on icy roads, be smart.

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
That's good as long as you stay there. I still give the Dodge an edge because it has a real locker and better suspension. Not to mention, that I think Dodge thinks higher of us than GM does.

Ignore tow specs on half tons. Don't let any of those specs sway your decision. None of the half tons can safely approach their tow rating in anything less than perfect conditions. If you ever plan on needing a 12k tow rating, go straight to a Ford or Dodger 3/4 ton. Generally, 6000# is my personal trailer limit with half tons. They don't meet MY safety standards at that point. It's not uncommon that my personal limits are exactly 1/2 of the ratings.

Today is perfect conditions, and I passed an F150 on the way home that was pulling a 25' TT, well within it's tow rating. Nearly on it's bumpstops and hardly able to maintain his lane at just 65mph. It was sad to see.

Take the 1/2 ton GVWR specs with a bag of salt as well.
What about adding an additional leaf on a 1/2 ton? I'm looking at getting a truck soon for overlanding, pulling a small overland trailer, no more than 1500lbs. However in the future I plan on getting a camper also for the wife and kids. I'm not against getting a 3/4 ton, but if the 1/2 ton works for what I need and typically they're less expensive as well.

I actually started a conversation here about this exact topic you're discussing --> Silverado 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton??

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
In your case it doesn't matter.

If you're a GM guy, go 2500, don't even consider the 1500.

Reactions: Bowtied13

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That looks great. Did you use hex or spline lug nuts with those Methods?

I'm a bit worried about the splined socket failing, if I go that route. But that might be people that forgot to antisieze the lugs.

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
That looks great. Did you use hex or spline lug nuts with those Methods?

I'm a bit worried about the splined socket failing, if I go that route. But that might be people that forgot to antisieze the lugs.

They are spline lug nuts provided free from America's Tire when I got my Methods and 35s balanced.

Reactions: Cobra5.4 and MidOH