Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for the pics. **Are there any people with JK Wranglers who can show me their antenna mounts on the rear. I DO NOT want the antenna on the hood or front fender. I want the antenna on the rear. Doesn't seem to be many choices for the JK Wranglers so now I am asking for specialized antenna mounts for JK Jeeps. Not much out there for this. It was fine when I had the TJ.
A buddy of mine has a plate on top of the third brake light on his JK where he sticks a mag mount. Otherwise you might look at a rear door rotopax (or other) hinge mount to stick an antenna to. I wonder if anyone makes a mount that attaches to a JK taillight? I have the remains of a rotopax rear door mount (I think...) that self destructed on the trail; might yield the parts that you need. If interested DM me.

Reactions: M Rose

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Indeed! May be some lost in translation with regards to the black box terminology, these are typically referred to as 'remote mount transceivers'. Just wanted to throw that term out there to assist in searching if you were after any, that comment isn't meant to be a put-down of any sort.
Thanks for the important hint. I always call them blackbox devices, as do some dealers. But you're absolutely right, the term remote mount transceivers describes it much better. Thanks for adding it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the pics. **Are there any people with JK Wranglers who can show me their antenna mounts on the rear. I DO NOT want the antenna on the hood or front fender. I want the antenna on the rear. Doesn't seem to be many choices for the JK Wranglers so now I am asking for specialized antenna mounts for JK Jeeps. Not much out there for this. It was fine when I had the TJ.
Check out Ruggid Ridge Antenna Mounts. They make quite a few different models to mount on the rear of the jeep from tail light to tail gate to bumper... I have used a few of their mounts over the years and found all of them to be very well constructed.

Reactions: Ubiety

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Thanks for the replies. I did it. I installed my 2730 and this is what I ended up with. I'm not a radio installer so another Jeepers showed me how to run the wire and he ran the wire through the firewall. I went home and set it up myself and buttoned it up myself. It actually powered on.IMG_4918.JPG

Last edited:

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I have my FTM 400 head mounted lower center on a RAM Mount in the console. Tough to tell in the pic but I can still reach the 4wd controls fine and the radio flips out of the way if I were to need to see the switches.

8535A125-CFCF-4709-813C-CBF9165BE20D.jpeg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Installed an 813 Fabrication locking bin under the rear seat and took the opportunity to tidy up the radio install.
Kenwood TM-D700, Beam Iridium modem, Raspberry Pi 4 and power. Everything is connected to the Pi and it acts as an access point so I can connect to it with the iPad and send/receive SMS via Iriduim, run Pat (WinLink clone) and run Xastir (if I feel the need).

Ram dash track system holds the Kenwood face-plate/remote switches/camera and iPad. Mic pops out from under the driver's seat (where I like it) and a remote speaker is mounted under the driver's seat.
IMG_5538.jpeg

813 Fabrication bin
IMG_5691.jpeg

Radio gear install
IMG_5695.jpeg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the replies. I did it. I installed my 2730 and this is what I ended up with. I'm not a radio installer so another Jeepers showed me how to run the wire and he ran the wire through the firewall. I went home and set it up myself and buttoned it up myself. It actually powered on.
Great. It's always nice to hear when people help each other out! Where do you hang the microphone?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Installed an 813 Fabrication locking bin under the rear seat and took the opportunity to tidy up the radio install.
Kenwood TM-D700, Beam Iridium modem, Raspberry Pi 4 and power. Everything is connected to the Pi and it acts as an access point so I can connect to it with the iPad and send/receive SMS via Iriduim, run Pat (WinLink clone) and run Xastir (if I feel the need).

Ram dash track system holds the Kenwood face-plate/remote switches/camera and iPad. Mic pops out from under the driver's seat (where I like it) and a remote speaker is mounted under the driver's seat.
View attachment 193637

813 Fabrication bin
View attachment 193636

Radio gear install
View attachment 193635
Looks good! Nce and tidy! By the way, that's funny, because when I did something to my seat box the other day, I also took the opportunity to lay the cables a little tidier and attached a few cable protection tubes at the same time. Unfortunately, I have not taken a photo. Maybe I'll think about it when I do something at the rig next time. Then I'll post it here.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Great. It's always nice to hear when people help each other out! Where do you hang the microphone?
I was thinking about getting one of those retractors(like people use for their work badges) and put it in a space under the OEM radio. I keep it in the cup holder for now. I may just use the microphone hook that comes with the radio.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I was thinking about getting one of those retractors(like people use for their work badges) and put it in a space under the OEM radio. I keep it in the cup holder for now. I may just use the microphone hook that comes with the radio.

My DIY solution for the mic:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
GMRS Velcro’d to the side of my Molle mount on the transmission hump. Velcro is an amazing thing. Main part of Ham under drivers seat. Head in a couple of places. It’s currently on my ICS Fab mount on the dash. I ain’t short and none of this stuff blocks my view. I like the mounts from Tackform better than RAM

A9AEE8DD-2C79-482E-9481-9EC94610652E.jpeg

02DE1863-59F7-451E-B8CF-DFB1B87066F5.jpeg
7A879B84-1577-48C5-A528-7E7543287F3D.jpeg
You can barely see the old spot for the ham in this photo. It was mounted to a modified Pro Clip with a RAM ball and arm on the end. I just kept knocking the frequency out of place when shifting. Got tired of that and moved it up top.

More photos are available on my website. The 4Runner just does not have an many good places to mount things as my old FJ. Everything that was RAM has been swapped out. I do not like the X-Grip mounts. They interfere with the buttons on my devices. Tackfrom to the rescue.

Fosters

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Goldhawke
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NTX
This is the setup for now. Will be putting this radio into the wife’s Xterra and will be throwing the same 75w radio I use at home in here... after I cut the dash a bit

Icom ic7000 feeding a icom ah4 tuner which then goes to a 108” stainless steel whip…

Reactions: Dusther210

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Older video but the positions of the radios are still the same with different radios in their places, the center console spot is used for APRS sometimes and CB when I need it.

Reactions: Desert Runner

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Well, my radio is an old modded Icom IC-v8000 and not as cool as most but it still works like a champ. I've had it mounted by my right leg for 15 years now and it works well for me. I don't like having to many light up gadget and gizmos in front of me so when I do replace it I'll likely put the new radio it the same place. I just need to make sure whatever I buy has controls on the mic.

IMG_0139.jpgIMG_0698.jpg

Reactions: TroutRunner

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Older video but the positions of the radios are still the same with different radios in their places, the center console spot is used for APRS sometimes and CB when I need it.

Very Nice. I have the same two antennas for my jeep. I swap them for each other depending if I want to use the HAM or the CB on the trails

Reactions: M Rose