Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Near Pahrump, NV 2 weeks ago. I just got the Dji mini 2, like my Jeep this thing is more capable than I am. What a great addition to the backcountry. I guess you can't post video clips. Very cool. I like the tracking capability on the Mavic, but this is a good starting point. Seriously adds another dimension to overlanding.

Attachments

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Tested this out today...I have the Dji mini 2 which uses your phone...I have a Samsung phone which uses smartview which mirrors on a TV, using a dedicated wifi link. So in the backcountry where there is no wifi it will still link, Chrome cast and the like needs a full out internet connection. I have an inexpensive TCL 32 inch tv that weighs like 9lbs and is flat. It is smartview compatible. So I went out today, packed the tv up. Linked the drone, and mirrored my phone to the tv. About a 1 second delay between the phone and tv, but not a big deal. Sure was cool having a 32 inch display for the drone flight. It pixelates a little when moving fast. Cool nonetheless, sitting in a tent flying the drone around with a 32 inch display.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Oh I also want to add, using an external Gps setup like the Garmin Glo2 which turns your phone into a Glonass and some of the other services like the Japanese and Italian satellites, works great with drone ops. Usually the phone alone pulls in like 17 GPS Sats, with the Garmin Glo2, I get around 29 Sats.

Reactions: MegaBug

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Oh I also want to add, using an external Gps setup like the Garmin Glo2 which turns your phone into a Glonass and some of the other services like the Japanese and Italian satellites, works great with drone ops. Usually the phone alone pulls in like 17 GPS Sats, with the Garmin Glo2, I get around 29 Sats.
I have a Glo2 to get better satellite reception in the wild for my tablet running Gaia on a RAM mount in front of the dash. I never thought to use it to boost drone reception. I have the original DJI Mini and assume it would work with that as well?

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
DJI Mavic Air 2, screen grab from video. Vermilion Cliffs Nat'l Mon. Drone use legal here as the area is administered by the BLM and not the NPS.

Attachments

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
Videos from recent trips to the desert...they are mixed dash and drone video from Anza Borrego DSP

Files were too large to download for direct viewing.

Reactions: DanW

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Here is another video of mine shot with the Fimi X8 SE 2020 - this drone gets very mixed reviews, some love it, others hate it; however, for the price I paid, I really enjoy it.

This video was shot over the weekend when SWMBO and I went down south for the weekend - nothing special but it does show off some of our wonderful coastline :grinning: :grinning:

I also used it to practice my video editing skills (something that needs lots of practice :disappointed::disappointed:) and I played around with inserting special effects (helicopter flying) and background music using Da Vinci Resolve 17 and the Alex Butler Audio plugin which I am slowly getting used to.

I hope you enjoy it.

Karl

Reactions: DanW