Lets not lose Moab forever . BLM comment period ending Oct. 7 2022 Looks like its extended to 10/21

• HTML tutorial

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
It looks like the comment period it might be extended until 10/21 . Yea This would be the end to a lot of Moab area to wheel . And if most of the plan goes through a likely end to Easter Jeep Safari . If we let them do this ,then the environmental extremists will put their effort into closing your favorite area.
I have wheeled in Moab a few times . The vast majority of the people using the trails, stay on the trails. It seams like the county ,maybe supervisors there ,would rather have people walking or on mountain Bikes. Of course it a huge area. Most people would never get to the areas without some kind of vehicle . So whether you've wheeled Moab once, are a regular, or it is sitting patiently on your Bucket List... there is a very important action happening right now will determine the future of Off Roading in Moab...
I copied most of this from a few emails I got .
This is not a joke. This is real.
The Bureau of Land Management is looking for you, the off road community, to comment on the Labyrinth Rims / Gemini Bridges travel plan.
This Travel Plan will determine what trails are left open and what trails are to be closed FOREVER.
Trails like Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Seven Mile Rim and Where Eagles Dare are all on the potential closure list. Over 600 miles worth of trails will be lost unless you do something to help us stop it.
All you need to do is visit rr4w.com, the website of the Red Rock 4 Wheelers where you will find links for making your voice heard.
Please note, simply posting that they should not close the trails is not enough. You have to reach the heart of the decision makers. BLM wants to keep the land open, they are being forced to do this because of extreme environmentalist lawsuits.

So please provide comments to the BLM that tell your personal story about Moab... why Moab... why you don't want to see the trails closed... maybe its family, maybe its a personal goal, maybe it reminds you of your family trips... whatever it is, make it personal.
That will make a huge difference to the committee as they are making their final decisions.

Please do not delay. Comment period ends October 7, 2022.

Thanks to Red Rock jeepers Metalcloak for most of this info

Skiman

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Over 600 miles worth of trails will be lost unless you do something to help us stop it.
this a direct quote from the BLM website referencing this...

"The environmental assessment for the travel management plan analyzes what types of vehicles can access which roads and explores seasonal restrictions within the travel management area. The travel management area encompasses 303,993 acres of public land in Grand County, Utah, and includes approximately 1,127 miles of motorized routes on BLM-managed public lands. The travel management plan is intended to analyze the utility and usefulness of existing routes, not limit access to the area. Routes are being analyzed for visitor needs, impacts to natural and cultural resources, and other values. For specific alternatives information and maps, visit the BLM’s ePlanning website."

BLM is specifically saying that access will NOT be limited and that they are analyzing routes for visitor's needs and impact on nature. Doesnt sound nefarious at all...what am I missing?

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
According to the folks at the Red Rock Jeepers who have been fighting to keep trails open for many ,many years . They have won and lost battles over the years. The key words even in the BLM sentence ,( to analyze the utility and usefulness of exciting routes) if they think there are to many jeep trails in one area some will be closed. Than you end up with to many people on a few roads.
the ( not limit access to the area) yea you can walk or ride your bike . I have seen it in the Sierras , The fight to keep the trails open . There are 4 plans they are going to decide on . First do nothing , second close a few trails , third a bigger area, and forth a lot of the roads.

From the Red Rock Jeepers

URGENT

FROM
RED ROCK 4 WHEELERS​

RED ALERT FOR BLM COMMENT PERIOD
The draft EA for the Labyrinth Rims / Gemini Bridges travel plan in Moab has just been published, kicking off a 30-day comment period that ends October 7.

Find more info here: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-announces-public-meeting-and-comment-period-labyrinth-rimsgemini-bridges-draft

This is probably the most important travel management plan of the decade and will decide the fate of most of Moab's most famous Jeep trails.

It is crucial that you comment opposing alternatives B and C and supporting alternatives D or A, and ask the BLM to keep all of the routes mentioned below open instead of closing them. Please review the entire press release above for additional information.

COMMENTS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED UNTIL OCTOBER 7, 2022.

Written comments may be mailed, emailed, or submitted through ePlanning. Please reference “Labyrinth Rims Gemini Bridges Travel Management” when submitting comments via ePlanning and mail.

Mail: BLM Moab Field Office, Attn: Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridges Travel Management,
82 East Dogwood Moab, UT 84532
ePlanning: https://go.usa.gov/xs57Y
kstevens@blm.gov
jstephenson@blm.gov

As expected, the "natural resources" alternative B was modified to close even more trails as requested by Grand County, and would now close all of the Hey Joe Canyon, Hell Roaring Canyon, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Rusty Nail, Day Canyon Point, Dead Man Point, Bull Canyon, Ten Mile Canyon, and 3D / Mashed Potatoes Jeep trails, plus the Dead Cow and Tubes motorcycle trails, plus parts of Where Eagles Dare, Buttes and Towers, Wipe Out Hill, and 7 Mile Rim.

If this extreme alternative was chosen (unlikely but possible) it would utterly eviscerate the Easter Jeep Safari trail network and close at least portions of most of the famous named trails featured in guidebooks and motorized events.

The so-called "balanced" or "multiple-use" alternative C (the one the BLM almost certainly intends to adopt) appears unchanged since the preliminary alternatives release a year ago, and would close 2/3 of Ten Mile Canyon, half of Hell Roaring Canyon, all of Mineral Canyon, one of the overlooks on Deadman Point, part of the Buttes and Towers safari trail, the 7-Up trail, and many other lesser known routes.

Alternative D is the "pro-motorized" and has the least amount of closures, but still closes part of the Buttes and Towers safari trail. It could be acceptable to motorized users if they eliminated that closure. Alternative A, the no-action alternative, is of course the best but the BLM never picks that one and always picks one of the action alternatives. So D is the only real option for motorized users to support.​

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
According to the folks at the Red Rock Jeepers who have been fighting to keep trails open for many ,many years . They have won and lost battles over the years. The key words even in the BLM sentence ,( to analyze the utility and usefulness of exciting routes) if they think there are to many jeep trails in one area some will be closed. Than you end up with to many people on a few roads.
the ( not limit access to the area) yea you can walk or ride your bike . I have seen it in the Sierras , The fight to keep the trails open . There are 4 plans they are going to decide on . First do nothing , second close a few trails , third a bigger area, and forth a lot of the roads.

From the Red Rock Jeepers

URGENT
FROM
RED ROCK 4 WHEELERS​

The draft EA for the Labyrinth Rims / Gemini Bridges travel plan in Moab has just been published, kicking off a 30-day comment period that ends October 7.

Find more info here: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-announces-public-meeting-and-comment-period-labyrinth-rimsgemini-bridges-draft

This is probably the most important travel management plan of the decade and will decide the fate of most of Moab's most famous Jeep trails.

It is crucial that you comment opposing alternatives B and C and supporting alternatives D or A, and ask the BLM to keep all of the routes mentioned below open instead of closing them. Please review the entire press release above for additional information.

COMMENTS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED UNTIL OCTOBER 7, 2022.

Written comments may be mailed, emailed, or submitted through ePlanning. Please reference “Labyrinth Rims Gemini Bridges Travel Management” when submitting comments via ePlanning and mail.

Mail: BLM Moab Field Office, Attn: Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridges Travel Management,
82 East Dogwood Moab, UT 84532
ePlanning: https://go.usa.gov/xs57Y
kstevens@blm.gov
jstephenson@blm.gov

As expected, the "natural resources" alternative B was modified to close even more trails as requested by Grand County, and would now close all of the Hey Joe Canyon, Hell Roaring Canyon, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Rusty Nail, Day Canyon Point, Dead Man Point, Bull Canyon, Ten Mile Canyon, and 3D / Mashed Potatoes Jeep trails, plus the Dead Cow and Tubes motorcycle trails, plus parts of Where Eagles Dare, Buttes and Towers, Wipe Out Hill, and 7 Mile Rim.

If this extreme alternative was chosen (unlikely but possible) it would utterly eviscerate the Easter Jeep Safari trail network and close at least portions of most of the famous named trails featured in guidebooks and motorized events.

The so-called "balanced" or "multiple-use" alternative C (the one the BLM almost certainly intends to adopt) appears unchanged since the preliminary alternatives release a year ago, and would close 2/3 of Ten Mile Canyon, half of Hell Roaring Canyon, all of Mineral Canyon, one of the overlooks on Deadman Point, part of the Buttes and Towers safari trail, the 7-Up trail, and many other lesser known routes.

Alternative D is the "pro-motorized" and has the least amount of closures, but still closes part of the Buttes and Towers safari trail. It could be acceptable to motorized users if they eliminated that closure. Alternative A, the no-action alternative, is of course the best but the BLM never picks that one and always picks one of the action alternatives. So D is the only real option for motorized users to support.​
yeah, wording is important. i know some government stuff is worded in such a way where it doesnt set off any alarms...but then they go and pass their legislature and bam...folk just lost out on something they didnt realize was in jeopardy.

i'll gladly email my 2 cents and hopefully numbers will matter. that is an amazing area and should be left open for citizens/tax payers to enjoy

Reactions: Desert Runner

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
Grub , You are so right. I am not a very good writer. Glad you could see what I was trying to say.
The most famous trail would be closed today if it wasn't for Mark A Smith fighting for it all those many years ago.
Hopefully enough people will write in and save the trails.

Reactions: grubworm

Stevwhit

Rank V

Member II

River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
White
Member #

Does anyone have a scripted comment that can be used, or do you just comment on what alternative B, C, D you are interested in. Agreed with Alternative A, do nothing; continue as it is now, or Alternative D that is weighed more for motorized vehicles.

I understand wanting to preserve land, natural wonders, and the like to keep it beautiful for us all, and to prevent people from destroying the areas.

Why do a few have to ruin for all?

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
I dont know of a good script to use, seems that if you write your own its the best.
I write about what it means to be able to see beautiful back country , and being able to do that with my grandkids ,kids and wife.
I can not go in the backcountry without a vehicle and get away from a majority of the people. Bad ankle.
There is so very few places left to challenge your self and your vehicle .

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
It is best if you write your own script. I just submitted MY letter this morning, and if someone would like to see it to use as an example perhaps, message me and I'll send it to you for your personal modification.

It is my belief that full cut and paste letters/form letters get tossed and not counted, so it is important to "write your own response" to this. Please don't just copy it as I REALLY want my input to count!!!!!

Stevwhit

Rank V

Member II

River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
White
Member #

I dont know of a good script to use, seems that if you write your own its the best.
I write about what it means to be able to see beautiful back country , and being able to do that with my grandkids ,kids and wife.
I can not go in the backcountry without a vehicle and get away from a majority of the people. Bad ankle.
There is so very few places left to challenge your self and your vehicle .

Probably better coming from the heart, than a pre-arranged script. thanks for the inspiration!!

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Seems like the battle is also with the county, which has several members that do not want events and look for any excuse to deny permits.

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
Yea I think your right , I heard there is some kind of event going on weekly almost. I think the hotels and other businesses like that.
i got a few more comments sent out by bugging family members .

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hmmm, could some of the County Commissioners be on the take from some of the wilderness organizations? Stranger things have happened......

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
I think I did it right changing the Title .That's good news . If anyone is on other groups can you get the word out?

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
Red Rock Jeepers say we have until 10/21/22 at midnight. Phillip was right . BLM site hasnt been updated thats a plus for us to get more comments.

Reactions: Padams7

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski

THE COMMENT PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED BY THE BLM TO 12 MIDNIGHT - OCTOBER 21, 2022

AS OF 9PM 10/8/22 THERE ARE 7,042 COMMENTS ON THE SITE - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOURS OR YOUR FAVORITE TRAILS WILL DISSAPEAR ALONG WITH MULTIPLE OTHERS THAT WILL THEN HAVE NO ACCESS TO THEM! SUWA WANTS ALL THE TRAILS ALONG LABYRINTH RIMS CLOSED SO THERE WILL BE QUIET WHEN PEOPLE ARE HIKING THE ROADS WE HAVE DEVELOPED AND RAFTING THE RIVER - THEREBY MAKING IT ONLY MULTIPLE USE TO RAFTERS AND HIKERS.

• Sad
Reactions: Desert Runner

Skiman21

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fair oaks Ca
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Zakrzewski
Not much time left to get comments and save our jeep trails. Only a few days left. If Grand counties request (alternative B) is chosen it will close 13 trails out right and 4 trials partially.
They ,the county wants, if i understand it correctly. That people can walk the roads and use the river in silence. I guess they should close the paved roads also.
The best plans Alternative A is leave it like it is . Alternative D is what is the pro -motorized option very little trail.
Please say no to B and C alternatives . Please help even if you live far from Moab ,and right a comment to help save the trails .
Every comment helps. Thank You