Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I do carry a large frame pistol and a .45-70 rifle because of the prevalence of bears in our area. I have CCW permits that cover all states in the West and make sure I'm carrying in accordance with the local State's regulations. I do know all the arguments about bear spray vs. firearms, and do carry bear spray in addition. I've had multiple encounters, and they're not anything like Yogi and Boo-Boo. They may be a bit overkill for other critters, but they still work well. I also carry at times weapons appropriate for the recreational activities planned for the trip.
Being in Idaho do you run into a lot of wolves? Im sure you don’t run into the average bear up there ether. 45-70 that will put a hurting on whats down range and your shoulder! What pistol caliber do you like to use? I know alot of my friends that are in the back country up in montana like the ten mil, I run my 9 mil pretty hot but wildlife isnt my first concern.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
45-70 that will put a hurting on whats down range and your shoulder!
i had a thompson pistol in 45-70...it hurt to shoot it. great round to reload for, though. gladly traded it off

i dont get around bears much, so i've just been carrying a .40 cal for the last 20+ yrs.
never pulled it and hopefully never will

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

i had a thompson pistol in 45-70...it hurt to shoot it. great round to reload for, though. gladly traded it off

i dont get around bears much, so i've just been carrying a .40 cal for the last 20+ yrs.
never pulled it and hopefully never will
I’ve shot a 45-70 pistol and it sucked bad!! talk about a fireball too! 500 smith and wesson also once was enough!!

Reactions: grubworm

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

I am going to write this from the prospective of a retired Police Officer (CA Bay Area) and someone who has been in two shootings. I always carry, especially when I go into remote areas. However, just having a firearm with you should not, but often does, bring you peace of mind. You need to train...train...train, as to what you will do when faced with a threat. You should always have situational awareness and already know how you will respond. Know the local laws throughout your travel plan. Last but not least...look at getting legal representation insurance!! There are lots of plans out there and they are CHEAP compared to what your legal bills could be if you get into a shooting. It should be a combination of all these things that should bring you peace of mind...even knowing that retreating rather than confronting is often your best bet. BE SAFE OUT THERE....there are crazy beasts and men willing to do harm to good people.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am going to write this from the prospective of a retired Police Officer (CA Bay Area) and someone who has been in two shootings. I always carry, especially when I go into remote areas. However, just having a firearm with you should not, but often does, bring you peace of mind. You need to train...train...train, as to what you will do when faced with a threat. You should always have situational awareness and already know how you will respond. Know the local laws throughout your travel plan. Last but not least...look at getting legal representation insurance!! There are lots of plans out there and they are CHEAP compared to what your legal bills could be if you get into a shooting. It should be a combination of all these things that should bring you peace of mind...even knowing that retreating rather than confronting is often your best bet. BE SAFE OUT THERE....there are crazy beasts and men willing to do harm to good people.
Best advise in the world..
I head to your advise !

Reactions: eagle_A40

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I carry(concealed) everyday. I have a CC permit and when traveling, I always check other states reciprocity status.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I carry(concealed) everyday. I have a CC permit and when traveling, I always check other states reciprocity status.
I took the test, I paid for the test, I passed the test. I refuse to pay my state a $200.00 fee for the license on top of that.(fee raised as a deterrent to obtaining a permit by an anti gun government) It's no good in most other states so it's a waste of money IMO, except for the state it applies. (Hoping for that to change before long)
So, if I pack it is in plain sight. I do not go places where I would likely need it.
(Not looking for trouble) I'm a firm believer that open carry is a deterrent to those thinking of doing harm when the bad guy's are looking for trouble. If they don't see it, to bad for them.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I took the test, I paid for the test, I passed the test. I refuse to pay my state a $200.00 fee for the license on top of that.(fee raised as a deterrent to obtaining a permit by an anti gun government) It's no good in most other states so it's a waste of money IMO, except for the state it applies. (Hoping for that to change before long)
So, if I pack it is in plain sight. I do not go places where I would likely need it.
(Not looking for trouble) I'm a firm believer that open carry is a deterrent to those thinking of doing harm when the bad guy's are looking for trouble. If they don't see it, to bad for them.
I love people who OC.When someone is casing a place, It puts all there attention on you so I can keep the element of surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wile_Coyote

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I agree. On insurance. I just registered with US Law Shield. Even if I don't use a gun they will be there to protect me. Kill or wound somebody or even a dog attacking you or yours with a knife or even your hands or vehicle if required for defense you will be covered. Cheap insurance. Especially when civil suits are covered.

Reactions: kkriewald

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I agree. On insurance. I just registered with US Law Shield. Even if I don't use a gun they will be there to protect me. Kill or wound somebody or even a dog attacking you or yours with a knife or even your hands or vehicle if required for defense you will be covered. Cheap insurance. Especially when civil suits are covered.
Go farther back in this thread where I discussed the pros and cons of CC insurance and pre paid legal services. You might find the info helpful

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I love people who OC.When someone is casing a place, It puts all there attention on you so I can keep the element of surprise.
Takes a village huh ? LOL
Just different points of view but hopefully the same end results ! Besides it's really hard to see my sidearm with long coats or shirts. I cant tell you how many people have told me, I never knew you wore that thing. One lady even said "what kind of a cell phone is that" LOL

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

that happens to you a lot???
Open carry is tactically stupid..its better than not having one but it paints you as a target. You walk into a gas station, the guy thats getting ready to rob it has been watching people come and go for the last hour from the parking lot. Sees a guy thats strapped walk in and he decides to make a move... he’ll go right to you because your a threat odds are hell have a drop on you.

That saying oh I want a person to know about it attracts bad attention as well

Same scenario.

Turd walks into 711 goes right to the clerk pulls a weapon as your behind a shelf. (he watched you walk in and sees nothing wrong with you) (unless you are super gouchie tacticool dresser and look like your strapped) you can disrupt his odaloop . whats better to take that turd off guard? Or be straight up a hard target?

The bad thing with “most” not everyone about open carry is holster selection. The nylon holster or no retention holsters you see them a lot and thats another stupid and dangerous thing. That exposes everything to the whole world.

Its a situational awareness thing you don’t want to draw attention to your self.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Takes a village huh ? LOL
Just different points of view but hopefully the same end results ! Besides it's really hard to see my sidearm with long coats or shirts. I cant tell you how many people have told me, I never knew you wore that thing. One lady even said "what kind of a cell phone is that" LOL
I’m just messing around with you. I got into the brown water last night and sometimes my sense of humor doesn’t translate through text.

I’ll be serious for a moment. The benefit i here OC advocates say is that is a deterrent. One problem with that train of thinking is there are a lot of violent criminals that aren’t afraid of guns. Sometimes a thug will bash the back of a cops head in just to take his gun.
The other problem with the deterrent logic is that it seems to ignore all other forms of deterrents. Things like how you walk, are you looking at your phone, are you avoiding eye contact, all make you look like prey to a predator.

I believe concealment is not than just covering the gun. It’s about concealing my tools, intentions, and abilities. I don’t want to show my hand until it’s absolutely time. A very low order predator might miss all the signs, and only notice an OC gun and move on, but I could probably handle that problem either way. It’s the high order predator, that has earned a PhD in violence and concealment from the university of the federal penitentiary that I think about when training and making equipment selections.
there is a book call Violence of Mind that goes into detail about what makes a high order predator, and it’s really worth the read.

All that said, I’m sure the OC vs CC debate will continue on. I’m in no way suggesting that OC should be illegal, only that is doesn’t offer any meaningful tactical advantages. Carry on.

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’m just messing around with you. I got into the brown water last night and sometimes my sense of humor doesn’t translate through text.

I’ll be serious for a moment. The benefit i here OC advocates say is that is a deterrent. One problem with that train of thinking is there are a lot of violent criminals that aren’t afraid of guns. Sometimes a thug will bash the back of a cops head in just to take his gun.
The other problem with the deterrent logic is that it seems to ignore all other forms of deterrents. Things like how you walk, are you looking at your phone, are you avoiding eye contact, all make you look like prey to a predator.

I believe concealment is not than just covering the gun. It’s about concealing my tools, intentions, and abilities. I don’t want to show my hand until it’s absolutely time. A very low order predator might miss all the signs, and only notice an OC gun and move on, but I could probably handle that problem either way. It’s the high order predator, that has earned a PhD in violence and concealment from the university of the federal penitentiary that I think about when training and making equipment selections.
there is a book call Violence of Mind that goes into detail about what makes a high order predator, and it’s really worth the read.

All that said, I’m sure the OC vs CC debate will continue on. I’m in no way suggesting that OC should be illegal, only that is doesn’t offer any meaningful tactical advantages. Carry on.
I can see your point of view from the point of bring or placing myself in a position of being a deterrent. Where I differ from your view is that I'm not trying to be a deterrent. I wear it for my personal protection. I would use my weapon if I witnessed a crime in process of course. I have never been in that position and hope I'm not. But if I see a bad guy waving a gun around, and I feel endangered, he's going to know he picked on the wrong guy. If nothing else his attention on me will curtail his further actions. I don't mind being his target if I am armed and able to defend myself. Most bad guys shoot very badly IMO. I don't recommend
My position for all, only those who are skilled enough and brave enough to perform under that kind of situation.

I respect you views and in the big cities you are probably right about the criminal minds there. Rural bad guys are not quite so sophisticated, and neither are the OC people.
My position is if you shoot at me your going to be shot at too. Two can play the dame game !

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Open carry is tactically stupid..its better than not having one but it paints you as a target. You walk into a gas station, the guy thats getting ready to rob it has been watching people come and go for the last hour from the parking lot. Sees a guy thats strapped walk in and he decides to make a move... he’ll go right to you because your a threat odds are hell have a drop on you.

That saying oh I want a person to know about it attracts bad attention as well

Same scenario.

Turd walks into 711 goes right to the clerk pulls a weapon as your behind a shelf. (he watched you walk in and sees nothing wrong with you) (unless you are super gouchie tacticool dresser and look like your strapped) you can disrupt his odaloop . whats better to take that turd off guard? Or be straight up a hard target?

The bad thing with “most” not everyone about open carry is holster selection. The nylon holster or no retention holsters you see them a lot and thats another stupid and dangerous thing. That exposes everything to the whole world.

Its a situational awareness thing you don’t want to draw attention to your self.
Criminals are cowards, there's very little chance even a team would risk robbery with a customer inside carrying a weapon. Or even a male customer inside in general.