Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Lever action in a 357 or 44 mag is a pretty legit platform. You are right about the less spooky look but can go up against the armalite rifle. id prefer the 357 cus it can shoot the 38 special so you can find ammo for it. I bought a 44 mag 13 years ago not even thinking about it. Back than 44 mag 45 long colt really any pistol ammo was super hard to get. Dont think I actually shot that weapon for a few years cus i didnt want to waste the ammo. A good lever action is hard to beat and pretty effing reliable

Reactions: Desert Runner

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I usually carry my glock and I take my 12ga always loaded and one in the chamber on the shot gun cause that I know can put anything down at close range that we'll encounter on the trail I think. I could be wrong

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Lever action in a 357 or 44 mag is a pretty legit platform. You are right about the less spooky look but can go up against the armalite rifle. id prefer the 357 cus it can shoot the 38 special so you can find ammo for it. I bought a 44 mag 13 years ago not even thinking about it. Back than 44 mag 45 long colt really any pistol ammo was super hard to get. Dont think I actually shot that weapon for a few years cus i didnt want to waste the ammo. A good lever action is hard to beat and pretty effing reliable
be careful with .357 in a lever gun. The longer barrel will push muzzle velocity into the 1600fps rang. Most defensive JHP are not designed to perform at that speed and tend to over expand and under penetrate. Hard cast wadcutters are solid option. Also, many .357 lever gats have trouble cycling.38 special.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Ok kids. I'm planning on doing a Lake Superior loop next spring/summer hopefully. I've looked into the requirements to get us, the dog, and the vehicle in and out of Canada. I also did a search on what firearms I can take in. Sadly it looks like I can not take any handgun, which sucks, but it says most rifles and shotguns are ok. I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump that I plan on taking.

Has anyone had experience taking firearms across the border from US to Canada and back driving?

I don't intend on using the gun or hunting, but it's simply for protection when we are camping backwoods. I figure if anyone has experience, this would be the place to ask. The other option would be a .270 bolt action, but I'd much rather have some versatility with the shotgun.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ok kids. I'm planning on doing a Lake Superior loop next spring/summer hopefully. I've looked into the requirements to get us, the dog, and the vehicle in and out of Canada. I also did a search on what firearms I can take in. Sadly it looks like I can not take any handgun, which sucks, but it says most rifles and shotguns are ok. I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump that I plan on taking.

Has anyone had experience taking firearms across the border from US to Canada and back driving?

I don't intend on using the gun or hunting, but it's simply for protection when we are camping backwoods. I figure if anyone has experience, this would be the place to ask. The other option would be a .270 bolt action, but I'd much rather have some versatility with the shotgun.
As far as the Canada side goes, assuming you don't have a firearms license, you need to fill out a temporary import permit (temp license) which costs $25 and can be issued for up to, if I recall, 60 days. Make sure you declare your firearms to the officer at the primary booth and mention that you're bringing the shotgun for defense against wildlife in a remote area. The officer will refer you inside to do the paperwork. Leave the firearms in the vehicle.

Keep the shotgun unloaded while transporting it in the vehicle. When it is in use, ie at camp or while hiking, it may be loaded.

As you may know, the USA has fairly stringent exit controls on firearms and other related items, one of the most significant being the ITAR - International Trade in Arms Regulations. Since I don't know all the ins and outs of this legislation, I recommend contacting the BATF, telling them your plan and asking what paperwork, if any, you will need.

Hope that helps!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
As far as the Canada side goes, assuming you don't have a firearms license, you need to fill out a temporary import permit (temp license) which costs $25 and can be issued for up to, if I recall, 60 days. Make sure you declare your firearms to the officer at the primary booth and mention that you're bringing the shotgun for defense against wildlife in a remote area. The officer will refer you inside to do the paperwork. Leave the firearms in the vehicle.

Keep the shotgun unloaded while transporting it in the vehicle. When it is in use, ie at camp or while hiking, it may be loaded.

As you may know, the USA has fairly stringent exit controls on firearms and other related items, one of the most significant being the ITAR - International Trade in Arms Regulations. Since I don't know all the ins and outs of this legislation, I recommend contacting the BATF, telling them your plan and asking what paperwork, if any, you will need.

Hope that helps!
Excellent information. I wondered when I read about transporting a long gun...LOADED. In the USA, a pistol may be transported LOADED (depending on individual State laws), but a long gun...NO!!! Anyone who has hunted, reads in the regulations that, that is a big NO-NO. And it crosses over to transport in general.

The last thing you want is to get hung up Internationally when traveling. My recommendation is that Ripley 1046 should also purchase some bear spray, whether he will be in bear country or not. It will work for other varmints also. Take a skeet barrel (if allowed) for recreational target practice also. Not just the Mossberg riot barrel for self protection, if indeed that is the plan.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Excellent information. I wondered when I read about transporting a long gun...LOADED. In the USA, a pistol may be transported LOADED (depending on individual State laws), but a long gun...NO!!! Anyone who has hunted, reads in the regulations that, that is a big NO-NO. And it crosses over to transport in general.

The last thing you want is to get hung up Internationally when traveling. My recommendation is that Ripley 1046 should also purchase some bear spray, whether he will be in bear country or not. It will work for other varmints also. Take a skeet barrel (if allowed) for recreational target practice also. Not just the Mossberg riot barrel for self protection, if indeed that is the plan.

Loaded long guns are perfectly legal in many States.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Colorado you can have a pistol loaded in a rig concealed or open. Its an open carry state. But you have a permit to conceal carry.

A long gun you cant have it loaded in a rig. But you can have a magazine loaded but nothing in the chamber. Grub thats an evil you dont want to mess with.

like a person drives drunk 80 times before he/she. (Gotta be gender neutral these days) gets clickity-clack and off to jail

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Colorado you can have a pistol loaded in a rig concealed or open. Its an open carry state. But you have a permit to conceal carry.

A long gun you cant have it loaded in a rig. But you can have a magazine loaded but nothing in the chamber. Grub thats an evil you dont want to mess with.

like a person drives drunk 80 times before he/she. (Gotta be gender neutral these days) gets clickity-clack and off to jail
That's not apples and apples thinking, it's apple and orange thinking. Guns are not evil, people are evil.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This:............"A long gun you cant have it loaded in a rig. But you can have a magazine loaded but nothing in the chamber". ( Roam_CO85 said:) As I mentioned about Hunting regulations spelling out State laws on this subject. (post #887) In the chamber is a NO-NO. But let me caveat that......the ignorant LEO might think it's loaded if any shells are in the Magazine. Fish and Game, and Rangers, along with BLM officers are more informed about this than....SOME,.....not all.... town cops! Something to keep in mind when traveling.

"they are legal in EVERY state as long as you don't get caught", (Grubworm) I took this as TONGUE IN CHEEK humor, but also as a truth. It just is not worth the risk for us average JOE'S.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

doing this will keep you out of trouble in the States. No idea about Canada.
Might be the legal way but offers no protection from the bad guys. If you encounter one with bad intent, you are dead. I carry without one in the chamber - out of state and not on my person but handy. In my own state it is legally loaded and ready for use. It can be concealed in your auto or on yourself which is considered the same as your house.

I avoid states with stupid laws but if I am traveling through a stupid state I may or may not put my weapon in the rear of the rig if I am not going to stop in that state. I obey the laws of the state I am a resident of, and all federal laws. Other states laws are for their citizens as far as I am concerned, not me, I'm just passing through. :-)

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Might be the legal way but offers no protection from the bad guys. If you encounter one with bad intent, you are dead. I carry without one in the chamber - out of state and not on my person but handy. In my own state it is legally loaded and ready for use. It can be concealed in your auto or on yourself which is considered the same as your house.

I avoid states with stupid laws but if I am traveling through a stupid state I may or may not put my weapon in the rear of the rig if I am not going to stop in that state. I obey the laws of the state I am a resident of, and all federal laws. Other states laws are for their citizens as far as I am concerned, not me, I'm just passing through. :-)
Does any state In the entire USA define “unload” as empty chamber? i can provide plenty of evidence as to why chamber empty carry is a bad idea.

I was only referring to the only law that standardized how to transport firearms across state lines. I agree that it doesn’t make the firearm readily accessible, that’s the whole point of the law.

Last edited:

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Never leave the house without my CCW. While camping is the same provided its legal.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
so glad I live where this is not even a consideration, I feel sad for those who think this is normal
You wouldn't have that opinion if you lived in the 100 mile southern homeland security zone of the southern US border. Any where in this zone you take your life in your hands if you don't carry a weapon in your car or your home.
I'll take US laws over Canadian laws any day.
At least we only have problems with a few stupid states and not the entire country. Our constitution will prevail because it is the peoples constitution not the governments.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Sadly thats the type of thinking that gets you in trouble. We all want to think there is safe spaces in this world. When you tell your self evil doesn’t exist your in denial. Just because one arms him self daily doesn’t mean he’s out looking for trouble. A weapon isn’t a warm fuzzy hug also carrying is very uncomfortable so its not even fluffy. I am a guy that has the mind set that there are tools to help you when you run into trouble. Jumper cables, fire extinguisher, tow strap, and a knife to cut the tape off a box. So if you run into to a turd that is trying to cause serious bodily harm or death to me or someone like me, I have a tool for that. Just like a set of jumper cables. I know how to use it.. you can ask any person here why they carry and I am sure they will give you around about same answer. Those that carry are force multipliers. I hope to hell no one ever has to make that split second thought, a good shoot or a bad shoot peoples lives change.

If your going to be a law abiding citizen and carry a firearm, fallow the laws of the state you are in or traveling through. Its easy to avoid those states that you dont agree with. Thats not just the cop side of me, its just good practice because trust me when you do get popped its a huge headache you dont want. Plus you want to be responsible right? I am huge on the constitution and our rights, I think every state should be natural carry because we are free todo what we want. No one should tell us what we can or can not do. Being that responsible person stepping into something that has a life or death just shows you that you know your stuff and being able to justify your actions is huge.

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
I do carry a large frame pistol and a .45-70 rifle because of the prevalence of bears in our area. I have CCW permits that cover all states in the West and make sure I'm carrying in accordance with the local State's regulations. I do know all the arguments about bear spray vs. firearms, and do carry bear spray in addition. I've had multiple encounters, and they're not anything like Yogi and Boo-Boo. They may be a bit overkill for other critters, but they still work well. I also carry at times weapons appropriate for the recreational activities planned for the trip.