Rank III

Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gustus
Member #

Carry daily. I live within an hour of the border with Mexico and have been out several times and seen groups of illegal aliens traveling through the desert while photographing.
Stay safe. Be responsible and have fun..

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Carry daily. I live within an hour of the border with Mexico and have been out several times and seen groups of illegal aliens traveling through the desert while photographing.
Stay safe. Be responsible and have fun..
Before joining the Navy in 1984 I lived on the border in Nogales, AZ. Did a lot of camping and hiking in the surrounding mountains and always had a rifle. Never had issues with the illegal aliens, but had an understanding with the "mules" when they saw we were armed as well. Of course we always reported to Border Patrol first chance we had.

Bertalmio

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Reno
First Name
Asron
Last Name
Bertalmio
Member #

I don’t carry - don’t see the need‍♂
You are lucky you haven't had the need. But recreational shooting is fun, as long as you are responsible and clean up after yourself.
Yah, that’s the problem - at least on trails I’ve been on - some areas look like 3rd world dumps - shot up signs and televisions, garbage, beer cans, and spent shells everywhere- gives those people a bad name. I know it’s not everyone, but “it only takes a couple bad apples”, right?

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Yah, that’s the problem - at least on trails I’ve been on - some areas look like 3rd world dumps - shot up signs, TV, garbage, beer cans, and spent shells everywhere- gives those people a bad name. I know it’s not everyone, but “it only takes a couple bad apples”, right?
Most people I know, myself included, clean up what we can and just shake our heads. Idiots don't realize that you can sell the spent brass casing, but it is a huge problem.

Bertalmio

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Reno
First Name
Asron
Last Name
Bertalmio
Member #

Yah, that’s the problem - at least on trails I’ve been on - some areas look like 3rd world dumps - shot up signs, TV, garbage, beer cans, and spent shells everywhere- gives those people a bad name. I know it’s not everyone, but “it only takes a couple bad apples”, right?
Most people I know, myself included, clean up what we can and just shake our heads. Idiots don't realize that you can sell the spent brass casing, but it is a huge problem.
I salute you, sir! Unfortunately, some of your fellow soldiers are not as responsible…

Reactions: Ron W. and mface7

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

A lot of military connection in my family, and we're hunters, so I have firearms with me on all trips. You never know what you'll run into.

Reactions: Ron W.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

I salute you, sir! Unfortunately, some of your fellow soldiers are not as responsible…
A lot of those people are also the ones that just toss their beer cans and bottles off into the woods as well --- firearms or no. Personally I nearly always come out of the wilderness with extra garbage that's not mine. My kids roll their eyes, but they're developing the same habit of picking it up if you see it out there. Trying to leave it better than we found it.

Bertalmio

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Reno
First Name
Asron
Last Name
Bertalmio
Member #

A lot of those people are also the ones that just toss their beer cans and bottles off into the woods as well --- firearms or no. Personally I nearly always come out of the wilderness with extra garbage that's not mine. My kids roll their eyes, but they're developing the same habit of picking it up if you see it out there. Trying to leave it better than we found it.
Thanks!

We need more people like you

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Vegas has grown, the areas around the valley have slowly been shut down for the most part for shooting. One area that it is allowed on BLM land, is in the area of Sloan NV just outside the valley. Because so many people use it (open/non regulated), groups (off-road/conservation/shooting clubs/etc) do a annual dumpster clean-up, which keeps the area open. And that keeps the BLM happy. There are people who seem to make a living collecting brass for scrape, as you see them every morning early, or cruising around checking shooting spots. It works for the most part, but being non regulated, you had better be aware of those around you as there have been accidents.

Reactions: KAIONE and Ron W.
Always carry. I think part of being self reliant requires it. Leaving home without is like being on the trail without a spare tire. I have never in 30 plus years of off road camping had a flat but I still carry a spare. Same goes for a firearm just another tool on my list of must have tools. Both of my daughters who also love to camp, and do camp/backback alone would never go unarmed.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Always carry. I think part of being self reliant requires it. Leaving home without is like being on the trail without a spare tire. I have never in 30 plus years of off road camping had a flat but I still carry a spare. Same goes for a firearm just another tool on my list of must have tools. Both of my daughters who also love to camp, and do camp/backback alone would never go unarmed.
Outstanding!

Reactions: Desert Runner

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I go places looking for brass to pick up. I reload. It’s the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do. If I find a pile of brass for cartridges I don’t reload for I save them for others or trade them for stuff I do use. I’ve got so many 9mm and 223 brass I don’t think I could ever reload them all. But I keep picking them up.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
Personally, I always carry. I hold an enhanced carry permit and I regularly go and qualify to keep my skills and training as sharp as I can. Where I am from I have become so use to always having it on me that it has become somewhat uncomfortable for me to not have it. It has become an extension of me. With having a wife and two small children I will do whatever I need to protect and keep them safe. When I had my first child is when i began to train and gather the skills I need to be a protector for my family!

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I go places looking for brass to pick up. I reload. It’s the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do. If I find a pile of brass for cartridges I don’t reload for I save them for others or trade them for stuff I do use. I’ve got so many 9mm and 223 brass I don’t think I could ever reload them all. But I keep picking them up.
I highly respect a person who gather and reloads their own brass. It is a very under used skill people have!