Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
Question: when leaving the USA and heading to South America or other, do any of you carry a GUN? What are the laws let's say if you head out to the Patagonia or other areas? Is it cheaper on fuel? Many questions.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Question: when leaving the USA and heading to South America or other, do any of you carry a GUN? What are the laws let's say if you head out to the Patagonia or other areas? Is it cheaper on fuel? Many questions.
A good contact for that Question is @Hourless Life, they are currently in South America on an around the world trip. They are back in the US for a bit but will be heading back down this spring.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
Thanks... I had a friend Overland in Columbia and would consistently have attempts of being robbed. Didn't know if anyone carried guns or what laws are

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

It's against the law to enter Mexico from the US with a firearm unless you have a permit from Mexico’s defense ministry. Punishment includes fines and jail time. I imagine south American laws are similar and punishment more strict considering how corrupt the governments are there. I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: DosTacos

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Do not carry a firearm south of the US border. You can carry a 4’ machete strapped to your roof without issue as it is not seen as a weapon but as a tool.

Fuel is definitely cheaper in South America. We are paying $2.40 gal in Ecuador currently.

But not always. Depends on the country. Hope that helps! ~ Eric

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
It's against the law to enter Mexico from the US with a firearm unless you have a permit from Mexico’s defense ministry. Punishment includes fines and jail time. I imagine south American laws are similar and punishment more strict considering how corrupt the governments are there. I wouldn't risk it.
So overlanders basically are open to getting robbed in a tent at gunpoint

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

You're open to being robbed at gun point regardless of whether you're carrying a firearm. In the US or abroad for that matter. I guess you have to weigh the risks.

Imagine you did have a pistol and used it to successfully defend yourself in Colombia (best case scenario). I doubt the local national police would say job well done and send you on your merry way.

Eric and his family seem to be doing fine in Columbia for what it's worth. Check out their adventures here:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Folks drive all over the world and most don't have firearms. I spend a great deal of time in Mexico and never carry. I have never been robbed at gun point outside of America. There is a bunch of media hype to not travel to Central and South America. I am planing to run the southern portion of the Pam American without a firearm, I simply do not see a need. I know 5 folks personally that hav done it and they all had a fantastic time with out a firearm.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Carrying a firearm is a really bad idea:

1) Doing it legally is somewhere between difficult and impossible, depending on the country. More to the point if you need one for hunting (for example) the places you go will have firearms available, within the concession.

2) Doing it illegally is going to get you a long time in prison - and the chances are that you will be caught.

More to the point, there is no need - a gun will only get you into more trouble than you want. I've lived in Colombia, Venezuela, and Congo for a total of 18 years, worked in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Mexico, Algeria, Angola, Pakistan, and other countries perceived as hazardous, and travelled in many more countries around the world. I've never felt the need for a firearm except for hunting, which I've done in Mexico, Bolivia, and Argentina (in Latin America) - on all of these occasions guns were provided by the concession.

For fuel costs, look at www.globalpetrolprices.com . Prices are generally lower than in Western Europe but higher than in the USA: Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, and Bolivia have cheaper petrol, Panamá, Brazil, Paraguay, Guatemala, EL Salvador, Perú, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Chile, and Uruguay have more expensive petrol; in Venezuela it's more or less free, if you can find it. The average price is slightly less than in the USA (about 6%) for the countris you are likely to visit.

If you travel 60,000 km at 15 L/100 km the petrol cost in the USA will be around USD 9200.00; if you travel the same distance split between the countries you're likely to visit (my guesstimate) of the split then it will cost you USD 9850.00.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
No, not even a spent casing as that can land you in jail as well. We spent 7 years on the road, 4 of those in Latin America. The most important tool regarding security is your head. Many have been robbed on free beaches, a known issue even when we were driving South, why risk it when someone's yard or parking area can be had for $5 (sometime less and other times more). We stayed 17 nights in a hotel parking lot on a beach that was a couple minute walk from the known problem free spot. Just being in the lot made us off limits. We also had a bathroom, surf shower, dish washing sink, wifi, and an onsite bar/restaurant. We did our fare share of free camping too but almost everyone we knew that were burglarized or robbed ignored the warnings in blogs/iOverlander and went to the spot/town anyway. We feel that if there is a problem then the local community needs to clean it up before we'll spend any money there. No different than how we travel in the States.

A big tip. If you hear someone or something messing with your rig do not jump out like a hero...or even open the door. That's a sure fire way to have a gun or knife thrust in your face. If you're in a tent you need to plan your spots more carefully, iOverlander makes it easy. Those of us in self contained rigs usually back in for a reason and put everything away at night. While our van does have tenting we can pull the top and latch it without having to exit the vehicle. On the few occasions a place felt slightly suspect we slept with the top down, the most sketchy was a free campground in Alaska full of live-ins. When in doubt pair up with another rig or two. That makes for a fun time and makes you a harder target.

If you or anyone in your group isn't feeling a place, leave. No questions or convincing, trust everyone's instinct even though it can be a pain in the rear in the moment. We've heard many accounts of Tim/Leslie wasn't feeling it but we stayed anyway and that night... We, just the two of us in our van, stayed in many remote places that if the locals wanted to take everything we owned or leave us in some ditch there was ample opportunity. We made it without incident, you can too.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Indigoblue I would give you the same advice if you head north into Canada as @Alanymarce do not carry a firearms, pistols and most of the AR platform are out any way. Shotguns are generally ok, IF YOU DO ALL THE PAPERWORK.

But given your idea is for self defense if you did in fact shoot at or actually shoot someone up here that will get you a minimum charge of attempted manslaughter and possibly worse. I know it is tough but you have to drop all of your ideas about firearms the moment you leave the US and assume you cannot carry or use them for self-defense, or possibly any other purpose without significant risk of long term imprisonment.

Last edited:

Contributor III

Bristol, CT
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Walker
Common sense is > 1000x BETTER protection then a firearm south of the border!
And keeping a low profile is a very close second place!

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT!!! (I don't care how "top-shelf" or how many driving lights you have pasted to your rig)

Go prance around decked out in all your "top shelf" expedition clothing and parade around in your MAN RIG slathered in all the "bolt-on" BLING... AND YOU are going to get attention! And chances are some of it is going be the wrong kind!

Have travel days ( for covering long distances), make sure you and your crew are ready to be on the road at the crack of dawn but not a minute before ( absolutely no excuses)!!! Then stop and make camp at least 1.5 hours before sunset.

If for some reason you have to bivouac... Do not share with anyone that you will be or where and ALWAYS CAMP OUT OF VIEW OF THE ROAD or others homes.

Fabricate yourself a killer set of black-out curtains for your rig.

In my 49 years of traveling in Latin America, > 95% of the murder/ robberies were because the knuckleheads didn't follow these simple "rules". The problem of gun violence has been relevant for a long time, recently my son showed me this website, which contains a huge number of students' works on this topic. I'm surprised that this is given so much attention in colleges now, but I think it's right. The sooner a person realizes the importance of proper handling of weapons, the better.

Now if you feel that you need some type of protection... A Wrist Rocket slingshot with a choice of pepper balls, glass marbles, or steel ball bearings are a legal and +/- lethal combo. I carried this setup for years then about 10 years ago quit because I just didn't feel that I needed them when traveling with our pups.

View attachment 255216
Great tips, thanks.
With such puppies, weapons are really not needed :grin:

Last edited: