Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
Heavily contemplating a trip from Las Vegas (Kids Birthday Party) through
Death Valley
Yosemite Valley
to end up near Mt Diablo for Thanks Giving.

Any trip advise, places to camp/overland?

and With Two Kids, Two Adults

Thanks

slide531

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Most of the mountain passes will likely be closed by Thanksgiving. 120, 108 and 4 all closed for a storm yesterday but may reopen. You'll probably need to go south from DV on 395 and then up 99.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Leaving Vegas to Death Valley is a nice drive. You can enter the east side of the park and exit the west side. As was mentioned, weather that time of the year is going to be a factor. Otherwise I would recommend hopping on 395 at Lone Pine and taking it north to Lee Vining. You can enter Yosemite from the east side there but it is only accessible late spring through early fall.

You could take 395 north to Tahoe and grab 80 coming back down the west side of Yosemite and Sequoia if you are u for the drive. There are some great little town along the way.

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
Lee Vining was the hope.

I just looked at the past few years of dates of the 120 closing for the season. We would be a little past the norm.

Going north through the 80 sound like a nicer drive. Going to have to see what the time difference is.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Lee Vining was the hope.

I just looked at the past few years of dates of the 120 closing for the season. We would be a little past the norm.

Going north through the 80 sound like a nicer drive. Going to have to see what the time difference is.
Lee Vining is seasonal so part of the town may be closed that time of year. I was there during March 2008 and had no problem finding a hotel (old school motel type) or a 0ace to eat. I actually kind of liked that because it was a sleepy little town. Mono Lake is right there as well and worth checking out.

9ECFC38B-D338-447B-86A7-BC6889C2C449.jpeg

809A811A-CC66-40F1-A911-8769CF92B296.jpeg

Last edited: