Land Rover LR4

• HTML tutorial

H2owroth

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jonesboro, AR
Member #

So I’ve just got my kitchen pass and my wife says i can make my2010 LR4 into less of a grocery getter... so my question is do i go with rock sliders or steel bumper first? 18 inch wheels with 285/ 60’s will come before anything! My thinking is sliders save the sides (some) if i rip the factory bumpers i have a excuse to get a steel bumper

IMG_2226.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jdillon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
Member #

Congrats on getting the pass and hope your mods go well!!

I’m new to the forums and just a few months ahead of you. Just dealt with similar decisions.

I’ll start by saying I have been running the GoodYear DuraTrack tires on the stock 19” rims for the last few years here in CO.

Do quite a bit of trail riding here and they were great tires with the exception of the sidewall where I had an exciting “dual” rear blowout up in the high sharp/rocky regions of Georgetown, CO a few years ago. GoodYear made that right BTW... and replaced all 4 tires in the name of “testing”. So far the new tires have held up well.

Also have the BajaRack Expedition rack and CVT Tent for a few years and really love both.

My though process for new additional mods right now like yours is:
1. protect the valuable side and underside first and foremost. I’ve had my share of sliding around on big rocks up here and it’s only a matter of time before a big whoops happens!
2. move to a better tire (18” rim gives way more options) with E rated sidewall and get the spare out from under the vehicle and store on the roof rack. (Eventually the rear bumper)
3. Go to a metal bumper with the 5th tire swing out and move the spare to the back.
4. Deal with the front end with a an ARB / Tactical Rover bumper and winch.

So from that list I did a bunch of research on multiple forums. For me personally... I ended up really liking the mods gulfstreamchris here on the OB forums did and like him I ended up going with Tactical Rovers sliders. Had a chance while on a business trip to CA to visit Eric and his son (owners of Tactical Rovers) and the stuff they are building is REALLY good stuff and I especially liked the amount of underbody protection his sliders provide. Eric’s willingness to take time to help explain the install personally and give me a tour of their shop out there blew me away.

For the $$$ this project was going to take I was originally going to go with just sliders first. Like your dilemma however once I decided I was going to start tearing off factory plastic parts I figured I might as well do the rear bumper at the same time. Again for this, I really personally liked the Tactical Rover rear bumper which had the tire carrier option and I like how Eric designs a slider/step on the rear edges of the bumper to match the sliders which should allow me better access to the tent on the roof.

In the end I opted to do the sliders and bumper together and figured I would spend the addition 4K on the Compomotive rims and KO2 tires next year.

Sliders and bumper showed up about 2 weeks ago and hope to do the install this week.

Curious about your choice of 285/60 tires. Will they fit? I’m assuming a Johnson Rod lift or something of that sorts will be required?

Reactions: H2owroth

H2owroth

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jonesboro, AR
Member #

Congrats on getting the pass and hope your mods go well!!

I’m new to the forums and just a few months ahead of you. Just dealt with similar decisions.

I’ll start by saying I have been running the GoodYear DuraTrack tires on the stock 19” rims for the last few years here in CO.

Do quite a bit of trail riding here and they were great tires with the exception of the sidewall where I had an exciting “dual” rear blowout up in the high sharp/rocky regions of Georgetown, CO a few years ago. GoodYear made that right BTW... and replaced all 4 tires in the name of “testing”. So far the new tires have held up well.

Also have the BajaRack Expedition rack and CVT Tent for a few years and really love both.

My though process for new additional mods right now like yours is:
1. protect the valuable side and underside first and foremost. I’ve had my share of sliding around on big rocks up here and it’s only a matter of time before a big whoops happens!
2. move to a better tire (18” rim gives way more options) with E rated sidewall and get the spare out from under the vehicle and store on the roof rack. (Eventually the rear bumper)
3. Go to a metal bumper with the 5th tire swing out and move the spare to the back.
4. Deal with the front end with a an ARB / Tactical Rover bumper and winch.

So from that list I did a bunch of research on multiple forums. For me personally... I ended up really liking the mods gulfstreamchris here on the OB forums did and like him I ended up going with Tactical Rovers sliders. Had a chance while on a business trip to CA to visit Eric and his son (owners of Tactical Rovers) and the stuff they are building is REALLY good stuff and I especially liked the amount of underbody protection his sliders provide. Eric’s willingness to take time to help explain the install personally and give me a tour of their shop out there blew me away.

For the $$$ this project was going to take I was originally going to go with just sliders first. Like your dilemma however once I decided I was going to start tearing off factory plastic parts I figured I might as well do the rear bumper at the same time. Again for this, I really personally liked the Tactical Rover rear bumper which had the tire carrier option and I like how Eric designs a slider/step on the rear edges of the bumper to match the sliders which should allow me better access to the tent on the roof.

In the end I opted to do the sliders and bumper together and figured I would spend the addition 4K on the Compomotive rims and KO2 tires next year.

Sliders and bumper showed up about 2 weeks ago and hope to do the install this week.

Curious about your choice of 285/60 tires. Will they fit? I’m assuming a Johnson Rod lift or something of that sorts will be required?

Thanks for the info... 285/60 in a toyo open country is a pretty tire... 65k mile warranty... it’s not a real hard tire and i was looking at the rhino rods on lucky8.... . I want BFGs..with a $5k wish list already i was gonna go easy on the tires.... the rocks in Arkansas aren’t as sharp.... we wear them down walking bare foot on them

Reactions: jdillon

H2owroth

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jonesboro, AR
Member #

Thanks for the info... 285/60 in a toyo open country is a pretty tire... 65k mile warranty... it’s not a real hard tire and i was looking at the rhino rods on lucky8.... . I want BFGs..with a $5k wish list already i was gonna go easy on the tires.... the rocks in Arkansas aren’t as sharp.... we wear them down walking bare foot on them

And i think I’m going tactical Rover all the way... everything is super clean and seam like good dudes

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
My 2 cents:
Gotta go sliders and tires first. My wife let me trick out her 2013 LR4 and after going with the Nitto tires bc they fit the 20in rims and it was still her daily driver (we got 62k miles out of them) I went compos and ko2’s and couldn’t be happier. The sliders are a must to protect the compressor and I went Tactical Rover as well. The LRs are amazing in stock form but these plus a few other options help out. I got my suspension rods from Green Oval Experience in Australia as the allow to run stock height all the time and then pop over to a lift when you need it. I went w the Frontrunner rack bc I liked the look and worked w my RTT. Most important investment is the GAP tool. A must have if you are going to leave the pavement with these things.

As I like the look of the front and my wife didn’t want a front bull bar etc I added a hidden winch. We’ll see how it works in real life. It’s easy to get to the lever and should be fine.

Future plans as the truck will soon be mine is a rear bumper w dual swing outs (tire and Jerry can).

jdillon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
Member #

Finished the LR4 upgrades last week on mine. Ended up with 18” Compomotive rims to fit the BFG KO2’s. (I’m in love!) Tactical Rover Sliders and rear metal bumper with the swing out turned out awesome!! Love having the full size spare on the back now with the swing out! Very happy and turned out great on the trails here in CO. KO2 sidewalls handled the rocks like a champ!

IMG_0833.JPGIMG_0814.JPGIMG_0853.JPGIMG_0848.JPGIMG_0880.JPGIMG_0837.JPG

XpeditionAfrica

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Africa
Member #

Hey Bud,

Are you still around? Any chance you could post a direct front or direct rear photo of your LR4 with that Alu-cab tent on? I want to get an idea of how much it sticks out on either side...

XpeditionAfrica

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Africa
Member #

Thanks for the pics..... Ill be honest and say I am not a fan of that tent mounted on top of the roof rank - I think it would look a lot sleeker if it was mounted directly onto the FR rails. I will have to look at doing this when I get my tent.... May also have to mount it slightly to one side as I also have a 270 Ostrichwing - I am afraid it may look like a pancake too big for its plate...

Also need to figure out how to fit that FR table underneath the tent although I dont think that would be too big of a problem,

Snapseed 25 (Resized).jpg
Snapseed 23 (Resized).jpg
Snapseed 24 (Resized).jpg

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
Thanks for the pics..... Ill be honest and say I am not a fan of that tent mounted on top of the roof rank - I think it would look a lot sleeker if it was mounted directly onto the FR rails. I will have to look at doing this when I get my tent.... May also have to mount it slightly to one side as I also have a 270 Ostrichwing - I am afraid it may look like a pancake too big for its plate...

Also need to figure out how to fit that FR table underneath the tent although I dont think that would be too big of a problem,

View attachment 73005
View attachment 73006
View attachment 73007
you sir, are doing rovers right.. nice rig.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Neither, ran the prescout for the 1990 Himalaya event which ended up not happening due to a coup. Was driven by Ian Chapman. IMG_1209.JPGIMG_1222.JPGIMG_1223.JPG