Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Galloway
Member #

i recently bought a 2011 Land Rover LR4 and wanting to run some good AT tires. Looking at 275/55/18 KO2. The LR4 came with 19inch wheels but i really want to run 18's to get more meat on the tires. Is this possible to run the LR3 18inch wheels without doing any type of modifications to the wheels or vehicle? I have been told that the 18's will not fit with out doing some kind of modifications.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
i recently bought a 2011 Land Rover LR4 and wanting to run some good AT tires. Looking at 275/55/18 KO2. The LR4 came with 19inch wheels but i really want to run 18's to get more meat on the tires. Is this possible to run the LR3 18inch wheels without doing any type of modifications to the wheels or vehicle? I have been told that the 18's will not fit with out doing some kind of modifications.
I'm not sure about your LR4 tire size or height of tire on 19" wheels. I cant forsee any problems with running a 18" in lieu of 19" wheels. It's the tire size (diameter) that will or will not need more clearance. I measured my clearance by measuring from the ground to the bottom of wheel opening at the front. In stock condition it is 33.5" and my tires are 29.5" tall, on 16" wheels. The difference is 4" which I want to retain as a minimum tire to bottom of fender opening clearance (6" would be better when climbing over rocky terrane). So if I want a 33" tall tire I need a min. of 37" wheel well height. I only have 33.5" now so that means I need to raise the vehicle a min. of 3" to get the 37" needed for 33" tall tires. I'm using Lucky8 3" lift kit and wont have to alter other steering components of drive shaft. It comes with longer shocks, longer brake lines etc.. If I wanted 35" tires I would have to add an extra 2" spacer kit, add a longer drive shaft, install a new steering linkage and sway bar set up front and rear. I wont do that because I wont be doing Technical trail rides (rock crawling, river crossing etc.) I doubt that is what you want either. Lots of info on u-tube for your rig so I would go there and do a lot of watching.

Reactions: Rafter G

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
P.S.-- BTW my tire size is presently P 255 70R 16 (29.5" tall). I plan to go to P 285 70R 16 (32.9" tall) with a slightly more aggressive tread design for muddy roads and snow in the NM high country , Arizona and Colorado areas where I will do most of my off roading overlanding.

Reactions: Rafter G

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
So the issue with the LR4 and 18 inch rims is that there are only two manufacturers that make 18s that fit will over the brake calipers. Yup, the LR4 has bigger calipers than the LR3 which came with 18s. The easier but most expensive way is to get compomotive wheels from the UK. Great wheels, super tough, but pricey. Lucky8 was making some steel 18s that fit the LR4, not sure if they still are. Otherwise you can run spacers, grind down the calipers, etc and then run cheaper LR3 18in wheels. Head over to landroverworld.com, there are tons of threads dedicated to this.

I went with compos as I really wasn’t about to grind down any part of my brake caliper even though I know it probably wouldn’t matter.

IMG_3440.jpg

Rafter G

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Galloway
Member #

So the issue with the LR4 and 18 inch rims is that there are only two manufacturers that make 18s that fit will over the brake calipers. Yup, the LR4 has bigger calipers than the LR3 which came with 18s. The easier but most expensive way is to get compomotive wheels from the UK. Great wheels, super tough, but pricey. Lucky8 was making some steel 18s that fit the LR4, not sure if they still are. Otherwise you can run spacers, grind down the calipers, etc and then run cheaper LR3 18in wheels. Head over to landroverworld.com, there are tons of threads dedicated to this.

I went with compos as I really wasn’t about to grind down any part of my brake caliper even though I know it probably wouldn’t matter.

View attachment 90921
good looking rig and thank you for the information. I am definitely not wanting to grind anything down to make something thats not supposed to fit, fit lol. I wil look into these options for sure.

Reactions: El Solis

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 90921
Very helpful answers that I too was glad to learn. Thank you El Solis !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Wow, there is just no say

View attachment 90921
Wow, there is just no way to lower the cost is there ? If one is capable, and had access to used parts, I guess you could change the wheels, rotors and calipers on the LR4 to an earlier model LR3.
Did you do anything to raise your vehicle for better ground clearance. If so what did you do ? Your rig looks a little low in the picture but may be the camera angle. What is the height of your tires ? What is the make and size of your tires ?

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I haven’t done really anything for the height of the vehicle. I have suspension rods from Green Oval Experience in Australia that have three positions: stock, off road height and then “emergency mode” for lots of loft bit only for short distances to get you through the obstacle. I like them because they allow me to run stock height all the time then while I’m airing down pop them to off road height. Takes about 30 seconds a corner. Then I can use the computer to get more lift if I want.

I’m running the BFG KO2s at 265/65/18 and they are awesome. I’ve had BFGs on my trucks since 1996 and love them. The KOs are really good. I’ve got the KM3s on my 110 and they are amazing. IMG_4038.jpg

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Not different types of trips, different number of people. The Camel Trophy is great for 2 people as the roof top tent isn’t that big. The LR4 is great when I take both kids or may dad who is in his 70’s. Both are very capable but in somewhat different ways.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not different types of trips, different number of people. The Camel Trophy is great for 2 people as the roof top tent isn’t that big. The LR4 is great when I take both kids or may dad who is in his 70’s. Both are very capable but in somewhat different ways.
I gottcha, sounds like me and which of 3 vehicles I should take when I go.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don't care much about the RTT (to old to be climbing up and down the ladder) but I sure like the wrap around awnings. I recently acquired a roof rack custom made for the LRD2 that was made in Africa and brought to the states. Now that I have that I an concentrate on the awning.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Many of the BMW 18” rims will fit on LR3/4. Just have to get different wheel nuts. View attachment 108543
Is the back spacing the same or different. Are there more width sizes available. What advantage is there to use them, more cushion in the side walls ? LR4's have adjustable (computerized) air suspension don't they. You don't have need lift springs, right ? Is that something you have control over ? Very nice wheels and rig you have there. Cheers

Reactions: Shane Waters

Shane Waters

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alberta Canada
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Waters
Member #

Thanks!! Back spacing is just about identical. The reasons for 18s is the variate of sizes and they can be found at very low prices. I’m running 275 65 with just the 2.5” Johnson Rod lift. Ride is even better before now because of the increased tire sidewall. After the rods and tires are added you just need to have a wheel alignment to get everything straightened away again due to the lift.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks!! Back spacing is just about identical. The reasons for 18s is the variate of sizes and they can be found at very low prices. I’m running 275 65 with just the 2.5” Johnson Rod lift. Ride is even better before now because of the increased tire sidewall. After the rods and tires are added you just need to have a wheel alignment to get everything straightened away again due to the lift.
Post pics when you get your new tires, Thanks !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ops, I see that you already have the new tires on your LR4, will you add or need rock sliders. You never know when there might be a road hazard and they are cheap insurance over a body shop fee.