Land Rover LR4 sleeping platform cabinets build.

• HTML tutorial

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I am super impressed. Looks awesome. I would botch that job so badly with my 10 small fingers and no thumbs :). Envious. Are you interested in doing another one? If so, let me know.
Which part are you interested in? The 2nd row platform cabinets? If so I could work up some drawings to give you a close idea of how to build it. My dad is the real hero with those cabinets. We both worked on the design but he pretty much built them from nothing in one day.

I'd be happy to hop on a call too if you have specific questions about any of it.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
This looks great! What sort of carpet is that and how did you install it? I've never done anything like this, but trying to carpet my sleeping platform as well. I figure I'll need a staple gun and some kind of automotive or acoustic carpet.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Which part are you interested in? The 2nd row platform cabinets? If so I could work up some drawings to give you a close idea of how to build it. My dad is the real hero with those cabinets. We both worked on the design but he pretty much built them from nothing in one day.

I'd be happy to hop on a call too if you have specific questions about any of it.
I would be interested in something similar for my 4Runner, regarding the enclosed drawers in the 2nd row.

For the sleeping platforms you can usually buy I have seen that it's basically a flat table that starts from the back of the drawers to the back of the front seat.
They have leg supports but they are open on each side. The goose gear ones they have a "hatch" at the top to give you access but still, all the stuff you will add there is free to go jump around

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Beautiful job @Mike W. What is the approximate height remaining? I wonder if this would work in the new Defender...
It's enough room to sit up. I am 6'2" so its not quite enough to sit up all the way straight. It is a good balance between lots of drawer and cabinet space and sleeping/changing space.

The new defender is smaller so it would be more of a challenge. You have less width at the rear door because of the huge sides and you have less length. I haven't measured height but I am willing to bet it is a good chunk less height also. The lowest point on the floor isn't that low. The defender 130 might be a better situation for sleeping in, at least for length.

Reactions: Niebeendend

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

This looks great! What sort of carpet is that and how did you install it? I've never done anything like this, but trying to carpet my sleeping platform as well. I figure I'll need a staple gun and some kind of automotive or acoustic carpet.
The frontrunner drawer system comes like that with black automotive carpet. We bought more for the cabinet build. We just used a staple/upholstery gun and some uphostery spray glue.

Reactions: Snufkin

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Small update. I am working on replacing my dual AGM battery setup and going to a LiFePo4 setup. I figured out that I can fit two 170AH Renogy LiFePo4 batteries UNDER the drawer system. These 170AH are about 6.1" tall on their side which fits with about a fingers width between the under side of the drawer and the battery.

I'll have 4,080 watt hours of battery under here. More to follow.

View attachment 217416
View attachment 217417
Yup, that's the money shot, literally. Nice package and that floor system is outrageous. Thanks for sharing.
Zim

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Fabs

Rank I

Contributor III

Sydney NSW, Australia
First Name
Fabio
Last Name
Daguanno
Great setup @Mike W , you have inspired me to do the same. Ive been looking for a solution to sleep within the car. I have had far to many wet nights in the swag.
I DMed you a few questions if you get the chance.

Thanks Mate

Contributor III

Worcestershire, UK
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clarke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7DCM
Service Branch
Mountain Rescue UK
Hi Mike W,

Thank you so much for sharing all this information, we're looking to get a D4 later this year and your post looks to have convinced the wife that we can get one!

Thanks again.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Hi Mike W,

Thank you so much for sharing all this information, we're looking to get a D4 later this year and your post looks to have convinced the wife that we can get one!

Thanks again.
Please post up your progress. Feel free to hijack this thread or make another. I always love seeing different peoples solutions to things and especially in a Land Rover L319 since I know its spaces so well.