Land Between the Lakes (TN, KY) - 11/11/2017

• HTML tutorial

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Land Between the Lakes run, Saturday 11/11/2017.

Meetup location/time:
The plan is to meet up Saturday morning at 8am sharp at the Twice Daily off of exit 40 (Old Hickory Blvd) on I-24 West, north of Nashville:
501 Hickory Hills Blvd, Whites Creek, TN 37189
Twice Daily/Shell Google Maps link

Getting there:
From there, we'll either take I-24 all the way up to Hopkinsville, KY and go into LBL via HWY 68, or, we can go through TN and enter LBL on the southern end via HWY 79 through Dover, TN. I'm open for debate on this. There seems to be more 200 level FS roads on the KY side, but the TN side may have less traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/w2DTJmvHk8M2

Recovery gear:
Obviously, please bring a spare, and necessary tools and equipment to change a wheel should you need to. Also, please bring recovery gear, just in case, ie: tow strap and a pair of shackles. Between all the vehicles we have, we should be fine if someone gets hung up, but as always, better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Camping/permits:
In order to legally camp in the backcountry, you'll need a $7 permit, available here.
You'll want to click the "Permits" link. Select "Basic/Disperse 3 Day" from the dropdown section of the "Passes" table on that page.

Every person over age 18 is required to have a basic/disperse permit in order to camp.

It is legal to camp pretty much anywhere within LBL, so my thought was for us to hit some Forest Service roads and explore most of the day, then closer to dark (which will be at like 5pm thanks to daylight savings time ending), we find a camp spot preferably close to the water, and set up for the night.

Trails:
I plan to stick to the lower numbered FS roads, which are typically graded and maintained. We might jump off to a section of the higher numbered trails if everyone feels comfortable, but my main goals here are to a) not freak any of our novice guys out and b) not break anyone's truck.

Last edited:

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
So we've got 6 trucks so far including Tash.

Rover LR3
Rover Discovery 1
Pro 4X Xterra
FJ
Jeep Commanche
4Runner 2nd gen

We are debating camping Saturday night. This is still TBD.

I'm reaching out to a couple more buddies. One with an FJ, and another with a JK unlimited.

It's shaping up to be a good run.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tash

Rank 0

Contributor I

FYI, Talked with some locals today, turkey bay will shut down the trails if there has been rain. They advised we call ahead to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
FYI, Talked with some locals today, turkey bay will shut down the trails if there has been rain. They advised we call ahead to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'm not planning on hitting turkey Bay at all. We are doing the FS roads [emoji106]

Reactions: tash

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I was there a few weeks ago and had a great time. Any firm details yet? Time and place to meet so we can all hit the trails together.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
I was there a few weeks ago and had a great time. Any firm details yet? Time and place to meet so we can all hit the trails together.
Working through the details soon. Most of the guys who have committed are not in the OB site.

Once I have all that settled (likely tomorrow) I'll update here.

We are planning on camping in the back country Saturday night, so plan for that.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Merlin and tash, can you guys PM me your email addresses? I'm about to send out details to my buddies via email and wanted to include you guys. I'll update this thread once our route and all that have been settled, but we're debating this on email, so i wanted to include you guys.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Just found out that my wife's work is throwing her a baby shower that day and I am apparently going with her so I am going to be out on this trip.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Just found out that my wife's work is throwing her a baby shower that day and I am apparently going with her so I am going to be out on this trip.
Ahh well, next time man! We'll scout out some spots for ya.

saw32777

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashville, TN
First Name
Sean
Last Name
White
Service Branch
Army
I live in Nashville and have a 2016 JKU. I camp at lbl a few times a year with some friends from Louisville. Would love to meet up with some folks in middle TN to go. Not 100% sure that I can make it this weekend but shoot me the details and if I can make it happen I’ll be there.

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
I've updated the first post with meetup location/time and some details.
We do plan to camp Saturday night if anyone wants to join us.